Clear all

Age check part two.....

53 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Inspired by Nick's "age check" post.....

1 - what TV theme(s) do you remember from when you were a kid?

2 - what's the first single you bought?

3 - what's the first album you bought?

The TV themes I remember are mostly from classic westerns......have gun will travel and rawhide spring to mind, the lone ranger/william tell theme, and of course the Dr Who theme - Coronation Street is still using the same theme tune after 46 years....

first single I bought was "Paperback Writer/Rain" by the Beatles - it was supposed to be a double A-side, but I swear the first time I ever heard "Rain" on the radio was the day Lennon died.....on a side note Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields was also supposed to be a double A-side - Penny Lane was the one that got the radio play.....

First album is still up in my all-time top 10 - Hard Day's Night by the Beatles....parents would never buy me records even though we had a radiogram, but birthday money came in very handy.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Inspired by Nick's "age check" post.....

1 - what TV theme(s) do you remember from when you were a kid?

2 - what's the first single you bought?

3 - what's the first album you bought?

TV Themes - The one I really remember most are the westerns. Especially Bonanza and the Lone Ranger.

I really can't remember the first single I ever bought, but I do remember ones of my mom's that I listened to. My favs were Elvis's Jailhouse Rock and (don't laugh) Neil Sedaka singing The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

Now I have a very clear memory of my first album. I was 13 years old and it wasnt music. It was a Redd Foxx comedy album. I never got to listen to it. My Dad IMMEDIATLY confiscated it. I did hear him laughing to it in the other room!

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The Dukes of Hazard theme...

I don't remember the first single I bought..I remember trying to write out the lyrics to Roll On - 18 wheeler by Alabama in kindergarden. :lol: :oops:

I think my first album was by Cameo - I liked the song "WORD UP." My first and last rap album at the age of 8... Seriously. No wait - I think I bought a DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince album that same year.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

t.v. theme-- speed racer theme

never bought a single

first album---kiss alive

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I think for me with TV themes a lot come to mind.

Most notoriously....Get Smart. Mission Impossible. Bonanza.

First single....I'm Crying. The Animals. Still have it on 45. lol.

First album....Santana...the first. Still have it, too. I also bought it on CD about 20 years ago since I didn't want to wear out the vinyl any more.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

The Dukes of Hazzard theme. :D

Hmmm....Ghostbusters, I think.

Metallica: The Black Album. Unless you want to count the Ghostbusters soundtrack.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Mash comes to mind

never bought a single

either AC/DC - back in black or ZZ top - Sharp dressed man (not sure if that it the album title)

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

never bought a single

You've never bought a song off of itunes? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

TV theme - "Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale..." Gilligan's Island

1st single - Smoke on the Water (or perhaps Uneasy Rider by Charlie Daniels). In any case it was 1973

1st album - Sgt. Pepper (though it had been out for seven years by then - 1974)

Edit - I should add that I still have both records.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Lots of TV themes... Munsters, Flintstones, I Dream of Jeanie, Bonanza, My Three Sons, Leave it to Beaver...

First single I bought - I think it was Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" (in white vinyl, too!). Yeah, the song is older than I am... but they probably still sell it today, although not the 45rpm version

First album - Wednesday Morning 3 A.M. - Simon & Garfunkel

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Car 54 where are you?

The guy on the left grew up to be Hermann Munster, by the way. I also liked the Phil Silvers show.

I loved Top Cat too. Wasn't he even before the Flintstones?

My first single was Stagger Lee (Stag-o-lee) when I was little. I have no idea who did it. My first album? I don't remember. God, it might have been Chicago. 45s were the thing for me though. Let It Be, Hey Jude, lots of Neil Diamond -- Holly Holy Night...
God, I think I'm old. But I can still rock! (Reminds me of that George Harrison tune, "Wreck of the Hesperus". You know, I'm not that old, but TV must have made a huge impression on me as a kid. I mean, I must have been 3 or 4 watching good old Sgt. Bilko, but I remember it. Odd. Don't let your kids watch TV. It's clearly dangerous.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

When I was a kid well there was

F troop

Top Cat

Captain Pugwash

Get Smart

Mash

Just a little thing on the side about Captian Pugwash -there was a character called Seaman Stains ( I bet they can't get away with that these days)

===============================================

First single ever bought was - Let it be - beatles

First albumn mmmm tough one I did not buy any albumns until I left home had like 1,000 singles ( on vinyl ) wish I still had them

Bat out of Hell by Meat loaf was one of the first ( may have been it ?)

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And Bonanza! Good ol' Hoss, Adam, Little Joe, Mr. Cartwright. And Lassie! Oh, I'm swimming in a sea of nostalgia.

Wait, Rawhide! Now there's a memorable theme.

Make it stop!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My earliest cartoon should be scooby doo and yes...i love 'sheep in the big city'

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I think Top Cat was about the Same time as the Flintstones

As far as tv themes, I remember Zorro from pretty early on, The 3 Stooges theme (recently introduced my daughter to the joys of the stooges)

First single was Satisfaction, got it from a friends sister for like a dime or 15 cents

First album was "Are you Experienced" think I may still have it around somewhere

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4