WEEEEEEEEEEEEEED ( and that's how you say it ) weeeeeeeed

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

Lot of great tv themes already mentioned. How about Hogans Heros? We were so proud when we played that in jr high band.

My first 45 - Paint it Black - the Stones.

The first album that I wanted to buy was the Byrds. As my grandmother was buying it for my birthday, she thought Sgt Barry Sanders - Ballad of the Green Beret would be a better selection and yup, I still have it.

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Bill and Ben were absolute top class. There was a tortoise too - called hlobalob, or something like that. You had to pronounce it as an almost silent "s" preceded by an "h". I bought the Vids for my kids when they were small. I think I watched it more than they did. The moment the opening sequence started with the little wooden house it took me right back to watching it as a kid with my Grandmother. Powerful stuff, telly. My eldest son's Police Cadet unit marched down The Mall to Buckingham Palace to the Thunderbirds theme during the Golden Jubilee celebrations.

We had Shari Lewis on UK tv for a while. I can't remember what she replaced in the schedule, but I remember getting bored watching lambchop. My cousin used to watch Hogan's Heroes.

Now, who else used to watch The Monkees? My cousin did.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey hey were the Monkees!!!

Those guys rocked!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Ahhh the flower pot men

it went like this

Bill and Ben
The flower plot men
Blah blah blah

they lived in flower pots and between them a giant sunflower grew named

wait for it

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEED ( and that's how you say it ) weeeeeeeed

Spot on, Hilch! :D :D :D

Ah, memories :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I remember all sorts of TV themes and ad jingles (Like Dinah Shore singing "See The USA, In Your '60 Chevrolet, with its all-new, jet-smooth ride..."), but the earliest would have to be Captain Kangaroo's music. I still remember from the Tom Terrific cartoon series shown on Captain Kangaroo the theme song of the villain, Crabby Appleton:

My name is Crabby Appleton,
I'm rotten to the co-ore.
I laugh with glee,
It pleases meeee,
When everyone's unhappy!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

TV Theme: The Monkees and Sesame Street

1st single: My mom owned a bar so she would bring boxes of 45s home when they changed them out of the juke box, so I did not buy any......but the two I remember most as a kid were Saturday Night by The Bay City Rollers and Action by Sweet

1st Album: KISS Alive II

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

First record I remember buying was an album, Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Funny...this thread; just thinking about the questions brought back a lot of memories. Thanks Vic :)

The first song I remember was Volare by (I think) Perry Como. I used to be in the kitchen when my mom was making tuna sandwiches and percolating coffee for my dad's lunch. Actual bubbling percolator. And it would be on the radio, and she'd be humming along to it. This must've been when I was 1 or 2 years old, I would have to say!

The other radio music/theme I remember was for that same morning show, the Jay "Aku Head" Pupule show. He had this little station ID break, or newsbreak music called The Coconut Wireless; singers singing "On the coconut wireless...on the coconut wireless!" and in between would be woodblocks being clopped to sound like coconuts.

First actual television show theme would be either Rawhide or The Outer Limits. Maybe Twilight Zone. The Outer Limits theme still gets to me when they have reruns. I think that's maybe why I recognize how much music can affect a person psychologically :)

First single was....probably...ahhh...Gloria by Them. Or maybe it was Up And Down by The McCoys. But before that I would listen to my sister's records, and for some reason memorized Mary Poppins word for word, even though I didn't know what 'tuppence' was - at all.

First album I bought (or my mom bought for me) was The Monkees with Last Train to Clarksville on it, and Abbey Road. We never bought a lot of albums so that was about it. Hey, I still don't buy albums!

Hehe...on the coconut wireless! On the coconut wireless!!!

ReplyQuote
 RonF
(@ronf)

TV Themes - White Horses; The Flashing Blade; Robinson Crusoe (the entire soundtrack is etched in my memory); UFO; Space 1999; Follyfoot; Black Beauty; Catweazle

(The first three were on nearly every summer holiday. As for the rest, I didn't watch Follyfoot or Black Beauty (honestly) but I remember the themes)

First Single - Run, Run, Run by Jo Jo Gunne (!)

First Album - The Original Soundtrack by 10cc

Ron

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

The Outer Limits theme still gets to me when they have reruns. I think that's maybe why I recognize how much music can affect a person psychologically :)

Whoa! I see what you mean - just listened to a sample on Amazon :shock:

The old Dr Who theme still does that for me - hairs on the back of the neck stand up after all these years. The original theme, I mean, not the mangled version on the recent (excellent, dramatically, though) Dr Who revivals.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

1) The A-team
2) None, as I don't like the idea of a single very much.
3) REM's 'dead letter office'. It had over twenty tracks on it so I figured I'd probably like atleast a few of them.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

PVTele said:

"The old Dr Who theme still does that for me - hairs on the back of the neck stand up after all these years. The original theme, I mean, not the mangled version on the recent (excellent, dramatically, though) Dr Who revivals."

Many years ago - early 70's anyway, and before local radio - I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg late at night. Being on MW, you had to keep tuning every couple of minutes or so, and one night I tuned a little too far and ended up with something called Radio Nordsee, they were playing the Dr Who theme with an added vocal by John Pertwee - "Who is the Doctor?" it was called.....

Brits of a certain age will remember that up until about 73 or so, there was no commercial radio, and radio one used to close at about 8pm....after Peely and sounds of the 70's.....the only ROCK show on the radio.....

These days, the only radio stations I listen to much are Planet Rock (does exactly what it says on the tin!) and Capital Gold - both are available on-line.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Radio Luxembourg - I'd forgotten all about it! Used to listen till the sun was coming up some nights, on my old Perdio transistor radio by the bed ... and those early Night Ride shows - truly John Peel was the finest DJ ever to grace the turntables 8) 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4