96 Posts
54 Users
0 Likes
15.5 K Views
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

JFK

1963 Ford T-Bird (niiiice car)

When I was 3, the toilet seat drop down on my private parts. My older brother and his freind then carried me across the street to where my mother was. My pants were still around my ankles. I was not at all happy about this and kept screaming for them to "just put some Bactine on it!"

The Kennedy assasination was a distant second.

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Who is the first president you remember from when you were a kid?

John F. Kennedy

What was the first car you drove? year make and model please

1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88

What was the first major "life changing" or at least perspective changing event you remember?

Getting on the bus with my nanny and not being allowed to sit with her because she was black, I was white, and she had to sit in the back.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Getting on the bus with my nanny and not being allowed to sit with her because she was black, I was white, and she had to sit in the back.

It still amazes me that things like that actually did happen. I wasn't alive back then, but it wasn't really that long ago at all, which makes it all the more strange to me. A life changing incident indeed. Thanks for sharing that one.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

there are government buildings in DC with two water fountains side by side and two Men's rooms right next to each other. They don't say white and colored anymore, but they are still there.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It still amazes me that things like that actually did happen. I wasn't alive back then, but it wasn't really that long ago at all, which makes it all the more strange to me.

Not very long ago at all.

When I was a kid, I sang in a school choir, and at holidays we'd make the rounds of the nursing homes performing for the residents. On one of those outings I met an elderly woman who'd been born as a slave.

Stuff that seems like ancient history is sometimes only a generation or two behind us.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think Nixon. I remember Watergate and all that mess.

1972 pinto.

Life changing or perspective changing events? Heck, I remember the moon landing, race riots and the hippies. (my favorite uncles) Some things before that too, but the thing I remember the most fondly is learning baseball with neighborhood kids at a very young age.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Eisenhower was the pres.

My first car was a banana yellow 64 Chevy Impala ragtop.

The first thing of impact I remember, as others have, is when JFK was assassinated.

The first thing that effected me was the death of John Lennon.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Eisenhour was President, but I really wasn't aware. I do remember the 1960 Election when I was in 1st grade. So I absolutely remember Kennedy.

I remember my Dad's '54 Chevy, same exact colors as this photo.

Funny, I thought this looked like a race car when I was a kid. :D

I absolutely remember the Kennedy assasination. It was a very eventful day for me. I was a school-boy patrol. We had a meeting that morning and I was promoted. When school was over a neighbor kid who was also on the school-patrol jumped on me from the bushes. He was really upset and jealous. He was a lot bigger than me, but I am a lot meaner. I had him flat on his back in seconds and was banging his head on the sidewalk (told you, I can be really mean). The principal grabbed us, and dragged the kid into the school. He let me go because he had seen the whole thing. Then, also unusal, I had to walk to my Aunt's house because my Dad was not home that day. A couple houses away a kid came running out of his house shouting, "Old Man Kennedy's dead!" I wasn't sure what he meant, because Kennedy was young. Just as I got to my Aunt's house she walked out crying and told me the President was dead. Man, the whole country was really upset for weeks. I will never forget that day.

I also remember seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I think that event changed my life. Right then I knew I wanted to be in a band and play Rock N Roll. And I'm doin' it. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

We had a '54 Chevy. It was black and white. I remember going to trade it for a new '60 Buick LeSabre station wagon. I cried because we were leaving the Chevy there. (That Buick turned out to be the biggest lemon I've ever encountered, too.)

I was told about Kennedy's assassination when I was walking home from school. Didn't believe it at first. Watched all the news reports and funeral on TV.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Richochet

Yep, the assasination happened right as school got out back then, around 2 PM. I bet there are tens of thousands like us who found out when we got home that day. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

My first car was a '71 Toyota Corolla. I had some nice wide tires put on it, raised the back end, racing stripe, and an 8 track!

It looked alot like this except it was dark green. My car looked much better. I had nicer wheels too.

Man, I used to cruise the beach in Florida in this. It was a real chick magnet. 8)

Ah, those were the days.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

JFK

My parent's '72 Gran Torino station wagon and '66 Mustang with 289 cu in V8 and 3-speed stick.

Which would you rather drive?

or

One of my younger brothers wrecked both of those cars.

JFK Assassination -- though I was probably more affected by MLK's and RFK's assissinations some years later, as well as the moon landing -- so cool.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Three questions

What was the first major "life changing" or at least perspective changing event you remember?

US President i remember is 1st George Bush cause i remember watching the gulf war on CNN and Bush addressing the US Nation. 1St South African president i remember was PW Botha.

My 1st car was a 1994 CitiGolf that was a hand me down from my sister.

Most Life Changing was when my dad passed when i was 15/16. I was real Ass to him, when i think of the stuff i did i just cringe inside knowing the hurt i caused - i never got a chance to say sorry - i didn't even greet him the last time i saw him.
man i feel like i'm gonna start bawlin :oops:

But i did help me to discover music which has become as huge part of my life and helped get through allot of that stuff.

Minus Human

[/img]

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@stardust)
Eminent Member

Prime Minister - Maggie Thatcher. I was 7 or so when she resigned. I remember we used to play a game in school where we drew her on our hands and squished her.

I still can't drive, shamefully enough. I really should have learned by now but I've never had the time or money. My friend's let me go backwards and forwards in her Fiat Punto.

On a personal level, the death of my dad in 1997. On a larger scale, September 11th made me realise the world wasn't as secure as I'd taken for granted.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey Stardust, for those of us English types where are you located?

I know we have Wales, Isle of Man, Southend, London, Birmingham....

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 7