Clear all

Age check

96 Posts
54 Users
0 Likes
15.5 K Views
(@stardust)
Eminent Member

Hey Nick, I'm from Darlington, in County Durham. Just between Yorkshire and Geordie-land. :p

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Nick, don't forget Lancashire.....

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sorry Vic, I forgot the birthplace of Serial Killers :wink: kidding.

Darlington, up Newcastle way right?

Didn't we have someone from Brighton? If so we'd have the country covered.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Three questions

Who is the first president you remember from when you were a kid?
What was the first car you drove? year make and model please
What was the first major "life changing" or at least perspective changing event you remember?

1--Gerald Ford, and Pierre Trudeau

2--1984 Kawasaki 440 LTD. Just had to be different, didn't I :wink:

3--The murder of John Lennon. I was in high school (grade 11 I think), one of my friends told me about it, and I thought he was BS'ing me. I got home and found out the truth. At the time, I was not a big Lennon fan, but I appreciated the impact he had on the world. The despicable act of his murder awakened that awful realization which lurks beneath the surface, that sometimes things are just senseless, whimsical, and immoral, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. (Fortunately, that feeling is rare and short-lived, but the impact remains, nonetheless...)

Ghost Rider

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

OK

The first president I remember is Kennedy.

(Side story: When I was in the third grade in November, 1963, JFK and Jackie rode past my elementary school in Fort Worth on their way to Dallas. The whole school assembled on the front lawn to watch the procession drive by. I don't clearly recall actually seeing Kennedy, but I DO remember seeing Jackie and her pink pillbox hat. We all returned to class, excited that we had just seen an actual president. About an hour and a half later, the principal came onto the school intercom and announced that Kennedy had been killed. So, once again, the school assembled on the lawn to lower the flag to half mast. I'll never forget it.)

My first car was a 1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia (I drove the doors off that car!!!).

And my first life/perspective changing event would have to be my discovery of Jimi Hendrix and Blue Cheer in the mid to late 60's.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'll answer only the second question, should give enough info to guess my aproximate age:

Q:What was the first car you drove? year make and model please.
A: None, don't have my license yet. :D

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

President: Nixon
Car: 1972 Plymouth Duster
First Event: John Lennon (Challenger disaster was also big for me).

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

First Car: 1969 VW Bus
First life / perspective changing event: My grandfather's death.

Elektrablue, -- I always wanted a Karmann-Ghia!

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

First Car: 1969 VW Bus
First life / perspective changing event: My grandfather's death.

Elektrablue, -- I always wanted a Karmann-Ghia!

I don't blame you! It was a GREAT car! I could pile 9 people into space for 4 (think that might be why my doors fell off?) :D :oops: :lol:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Carter...

...A super-fab 1971 VW Rabbit with real wood attached to the sides, roof, and hood. My dad is a carpenter and he thought he'd dress up the old car while also removing the rust. Looked like a freaky "woody"...

...While I've seen the hijacking and tragedies throughout the late 70's and 80's the two I remember most/hit me the hardest was the Reagan assasinaton, and the invading of Irag/Kuwait in 1990. That was my first exposure to "war" and I remember being an 18-year old and dreading that I might get drafted...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Attempted assassination maybe? -- It's widely believed that Reagan did survive that particular ordeal.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Attempted assassination maybe? -- It's widely believed that Reagan did survive that particular ordeal.

Whew.. Thats the way I remembered it too. Started to think I was REALLY getting old and my memory was going.

Ge
Goo
Humm.. What was my name?

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'll answer only the second question, should give enough info to guess my aproximate age:

Q:What was the first car you drove? year make and model please.
A: None, don't have my license yet. :D

Ahhh , arjen even i don't know how to drive so well that i can zip around on New Delhi roads , though i can do some city driving.(if there occurs emergency :lol: )

I have applied for my learner's license which should be arriving by 22nd of this month and then a permanent one after about 45 days.

Keep Drivin' :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think the survival stories were just spin. He was secretly replaced by a hollywood B movie actor.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't blame you! It was a GREAT car! I could pile 9 people into space for 4 (think that might be why my doors fell off?) :D :oops: :lol:I believe in that Karmann Ghia you were piling 9 in a space for 2. Real togetherness. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7