Clear all

Amp or Pickups?

18 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I have recently got some money that I got from working over the summer, and I set aside $400 to buy something...I figured that my guitar setup could use a little help, so I started researching, lol. I'm using a Rg2ex2, and a cube 30 amp...I play ALOT of Killswitch Engage, and I want to get closer to that sound. The guitar I have basically has ibanez stock pickups with a little thing that says designed by emg, and they are passive for sure. I'm really wondering If I should upgrade my amp or my pickups...Some people say pickups, because stock ibanez pickups aren't very good at all, and some say a amp since new pickups wouldn't sound much better on my amp. If you vote for either of them, if you could suggest a amp/pup that would be awesome. For the amp it needs to $400 or less, and if it doesn't come with decent distortion, it has to be cheaper so I can buy a pedal, this is just for practicing and maybe some jamming in my friends basement, never gigs. For pups, any price range, as long as they aren't bare knuckles or whatever those self wound ones are, I might just need a bridge pickup, but I might as well do both...right?

Thanks a bunch!

blah.

(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

I don't know much (ok, anything) about the sound you are going for but here are a couple of thoughts.
If your pickups are bad, upgrading doesn't have to cost a lot. Check out: http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html
I upgraded a Squire 51 (single coil neck, humbucker bridge) for about $50 total.
If you check around I'm sure you'll find GuitarFetish pickups have a very solid reputation.

My other thought - the Cube 30 is a pretty decent amp. If it's doesn't have a setting for the sound you want, what about trying some different pedals with it?

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been suggested guitarfetish before, but I'd rather get a mainstream brand pickup so I can try them out at GC. I guess I'll try some pedals too, maybe I'll just get everything they use, lol...Except I think KSE uses mesa boogies, so I would be far from that. Well, thanks for the first post!

Any others?

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I just wanted to strengthen Dennis' point about the pickups at guitarfetish.com, I bought two sets, one i haven't tried out yet but I bought one that were "hot single coil" sets, looking for more of a SRV type sound and they were exactly what I was looking for. Granted, I play a better amp now (the EVJ combo, which I picked up for under $200, which is NOT an amp that will suit for heavier punk/metal styles). So just have a look around for now, if you're really into a certain sound, in my opinion, both pickups AND the amp will play a big role in your tone. That being said, if I was looking for a good heavy-distortion sound, I would probably invest in a better amp so I don't need any distortion pedals (I haven't seen too many heavy distortion pedals that I like). As well, I would maybe upgrade the pickups along with getting a new amp: depending on what kind of amp you're looking at, doing both might be tough, but if you're just looking for a half-decent SMALL amp and good pickups, I think you could do it within your price range.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, christmas is coming up...Lol. Can you suggest how to do both within my price range?

I'd probably end up getting pickups at guitar fetish if that was really needed, but they are a yahoo site, so I don't think I'll be scammed, and with all the rep they have everywhere...

I'm having trouble finding a amp with good distortion at all, big or small. But I need small. I hear I could get a amp with a nice overdrive/gain channel, and boost that with a overdrive pedal to get a really good tone, and I guess that is what Joe and adam do in Killswitch.

Am I supposed to be looking for a tube or a SS for my price? Or hybrid I guess.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Ideally I would say go with tubes: like I said about the EVJ, it's a beautiful sounding amp and I'm now hooked on tubes. However, that being said I was able to get some good tones with hybrid and SS amps.

In my opinion, using a boost pedal sounds great alot of times so that's an option. I'm not a big killswitch engage fan so I don't know what the use but I know Zack Wylde uses a Marshall with an overdrive to boost the amp to give a heavier tone, so that's a possibility: personally I've just never really liked pedals like the Boss Metal Zone, it just seems to not be as good as an amp with a good distorted tone.

I recommend going into a guitar store with your guitar (or play a guitar that is similar to the one you play) and try out a bunch of amps. You should find something you like, even if it's out of your price range, you could ask the sales guy if they have anything that sounds close to the more expensive amp in your price range.

As for pickups, I would first get an amp and THEN get the pickups. The reason is that I think it's alot tougher to get pickups that you're happy with then it is to get an amp you're happy with: you can try out amps, you can't try out pickups.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I would not buy a new amp. A Roland Cube 30 should be fine for your purposes, and is a fine amplifier. I would upgrade the pickups and get a real disortion pedal. For the pickups, I would initially suggest a Gibson 500/496 set, which are REALLY hot, but you probably have a tremolo so you should probably look at something spaced correctly. Perhaps a Dimarzio Evolution set or Duncan JB/59.

As for the pedal, I don't know which would help the most, so I would test a bunch out at GC with your guitar and the Cube 30.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I would not buy a new amp. A Roland Cube 30 should be fine for your purposes, and is a fine amplifier. I would upgrade the pickups and get a real disortion pedal. For the pickups, I would initially suggest a Gibson 500/496 set, which are REALLY hot, but you probably have a tremolo so you should probably look at something spaced correctly. Perhaps a Dimarzio Evolution set or Duncan JB/59.

As for the pedal, I don't know which would help the most, so I would test a bunch out at GC with your guitar and the Cube 30.

Wow, those gibsons seem like really nice pickups!!! No, I don't have a tremelo, so I guess I could go with either of the things you suggested. And i think I can go down to GC this weekend and try out some pedals, so that wont be a problem.

Thanks!!!

And I think If I went with a duncan I would get a SH-6, just because those just don't seem like they would give me enough gain, well at least the 50's wouldn't, in my opinion.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The Gibson LP Classic comes stock with 500T (bridge) and 496R (neck) pickups. They are crazy hot and about the best super hot pickup set you can buy (in my opinion). You can get they used with two-conductor wiring for about $65 - 70 each. Or, you can get them new with 4-conductor wiring for $100 each.

You can't beat Gibson pickups, but they don't come tremolo-spaced (that I know of), which is an issue for half the guitars manufactured.

As for the Duncans... the Disortion is a decent pickup, as is the Invader, but I think you'd be better served with a JB/59 set. It is more versatile. Plus. with the right pedal the difference would be minimal. Up to you, of course.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You can't beat Gibson pickups, but they don't come tremolo-spaced (that I know of),

Dimarzios do.

And are better.

:P

Also, their web site is much easier to navigate if you're looking for soundclips,compared to Duncan's clunky site.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Oh Mitch, you and your holy-than-thou DiMarzios. :lol: Give the Gibson's a little love! :twisted:

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Okay, a kiss for Gibson. And a smooch for Duncan.

But buy Dimarzios; there's no better match for an Ibanez guitar.
:wink: :lol:

That said, I'm surprised infamous16 can't get sufficient distortion from the rectifier setting on the Cube 30.

.Some people say pickups, because stock ibanez pickups aren't very good at all,

Nonsense. Maybe in your guitar's price range, but there are some good stock Ibanez pickups (V7/V8 come to mind.) That said, the higher-end metal-oriented Ibys have Dimarzios, or at least they used to.

Try a PAF Pro in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge. If those don't turn your crank, then it's not the gear ... :twisted:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Are you really sure that those pickups are really meant for all metal? I mean, I really won't be playing anything but metal in the bridge pickup. The neck, it could be different, but I don't really care about that much. Tone zone looks like a pretty hot pickup, that can do almost anything pretty good, I want something that can do metal Awesome, and everything else....meh.

Thanks for all the posts, though! Your really helping me bring down my decisions.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you want to go right to the top end of the pickup food chain, then get yourself a pair of Bare Knuckle's - over your budget, but they'll wind the pickups any way you want.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Some would say that active EMGs would be the way to go for your style of music. I don't agree. All the top end Jackson "shredder" guitars feature Duncans. Usually JB/59. The Hammer is right that the high-end Ibanez guitars have DiMarzio pickups, and in fact many of the middle-tier Ibanez branded pickups are actually DiMarzio pups with the Ibanez name on them (or at least designed by Ibanez and DiMarzio together).

I wonder if you shouldn't look into the pedals BEFORE you swap out your pickups. You might find a pedal that gives you the sound you desire without modifying your guitar.

I like tinkering with guitars, especially the electronics, so my first action would be to swap out the pickups - but that has more to do with me adding switches and new pots than actually changing the pups (I like adding that stuff at the same time). I think you should bring your guitar and amp into GC and test out a bunch of pedals on YOUR equipment. If you don't find it, then look at pickups.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2