Amps

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

All

Whats the difference or which is better?? Marshall stack style 100w amp or Line6 flexitone3 100w? i play rhythm, i have a vox valvetronix 30w, but think i made a bit of a mistake getting it, was practicing on stage on Saturday and the other guitarist has a marshall head, 2xcab, same as the bassist 100w head 2xcab different make, mine looks like a baby and they were taking the mick. Plus my 30w to there's will become a problem surley.

Cheers Mark 8)

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Unless you're playing stadium gigs, IMO a 100W tube amp is always a mistake.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure he means tube, in the flextone priceclass there aren't many 100W all-tube heads. (try maybe http://www.bugera-amps.com/ ). My opinion:

A 100W solidstate stack is usually very loud and very poor sounding. The flextone is very nice but pretty old-gen. If I were you I'd think about sound first. If you need only a few rock/blues sounds, try a smaller tube combo. Plenty of choice there, 30W will be enough to kill the first few rows in the audience. If you need more bells and whistles go for a seperate modeler and amplification set. A used GT8, Tonelab SE or ZOOM G-series should cost around $250, and you can spend the rest on a classy neutral amplification. You could even run it straight into the board if you want. I recorded a small vid with the GT8 straight into the mixer. No after-editing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loqsHUU5Wd4

So what kind of music do you play?

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

into rock/indie/pop sorts of stuff acdc,paul weller, beatles, stones plus moden, that sort of stuff, been looking at a flexitone 3 XL from someone at work £200, or a Marshall mg100dfx head plus cab £350

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

NEVER get a Marshall MG-series . Everything is better. You know a really shitty amp? It's better then a Marshall MG. Really. Trust me. No matter the discount, never get it. Oh, did I say I don't like the MG series?

For those who never tried: it sounds sterile and dead on the clean channel and like a pair of mosquito's on the drive setting. The EQ allows you to chose between ear-splitting and muffled. It's sole pro is that it's loud. Really loud. And given the tone I'm not really sure if that's a good thing at all. Whomever designed it should be executed after having been brutally tortered by four angry chipmunk with a set of pliers.

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

would you recomend the flexitone3 XL? would it magage against a marshall mg 100head 2xcab?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Are you kidding? That's a 2x75W amp dude! If you crank that thing and you're still drowned out you'd better run before the building collapses. :shock: Serieusly, my Behringer 2x60W amp has Jensen speakers that are less loud and when I cranked that higher then 3 people were offering me money to turn it off.

As for sound, it has plenty of excellent sounds in it. It, however, has wider EQ options and other tone-shaping options that it's easy to get crap out of it. If you get it be prepared for a learning curve. I've had my GT8 for almost a year now and I'm still getting better tones out of it every day. For the price you'll get a pretty complex but ultimately great amp. Also, due to the build-in cabsims it should work fine when run through the PA or straight into your computer for easy recording sessions. (note: never tried that myself but based on it's specs on the Line6 site it's build for it)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

NEVER get a Marshall MG-series . Everything is better. You know a really poop amp? It's better then a Marshall MG. Really. Trust me. No matter the discount, never get it. Oh, did I say I don't like the MG series?
+1

I gave mine.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Do you like the person you gave it to? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

NEVER get a Marshall MG-series . Everything is better. You know a really poop amp? It's better then a Marshall MG. Really. Trust me. No matter the discount, never get it. Oh, did I say I don't like the MG series?
+1

I gave mine.

I got a little Marshall MG10CD in my guitar package. For what I'm doing I think it sounds OK. But I have heard nasty things about Marshall amps. I'll keep it in mind if I ever have to upgrade or replace this little guy.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Mino: well, the cheaper models are pretty dreadfull but the upper-range marshalls are considered excellent by many people. Including people like Jimi Hendrix more of those old folks. :if you ever have money to spare, do try them. :D

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Do you like the person you gave it to? :lol:
:lol:

He is a young relative of a colleague at work. He played an electro-acoustic for two months (recently he purchased an electric) and he likes the metal, hard rock and this kind of stuff. Mainly he needed a noise generator...

I've read good and bad things about it. Some people, usually very 'Marshall people', likes the distorted tone. I prefer my small Fender tube. My Marshall was the MG15 with the effects.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, that was mighty nice of you! :D

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yeah, There's cheap Marshall tone and then there is the better, much more expensive Marshall tone. Unfortunately, Marshall seems fairly incapable of accomplishing a decent sounding mid-priced amp package. Semi- Valve, Semi-Solid State? Any One? Any One?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I have a Marshall DSL 401. It's a great little 40w amp. List of reviews for the DSL 401 I love the tone of the amp. It has 2 great crunchy channels. It's not a very loud amp by any means though. But I don't need loud. I would suggest it if you are not going to do any gigs. If you're planning on playing out, go with something that has a little more juice to it.

A good friend of mine got rid of his Marshall set up and went with a Line 6 rig. (Not sure what he had) But he said that he wanted the versitility of being able to get any tone he wanted. Three months later he got rid of it. Said that tone was nothing like his tube amp. So do be carefull when/if you make that decision.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2