Clear all

Amps with pre-programmed sound

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@davebf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I'm lookin around for a new amp to replace my current 8 watt piece of junk, and the store had amps with like somewhere around 1000 pre-programmed sounds in it to suit different songs... I'm wondering if this is worth the purchase, or it's just a tack-on gimmick

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

What is the type/brand/model of the amp you are looking at?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That would be Line6 and it's a gimmick. No preset is ever perfect because it depends on the strings, guitar, pick, playing technique etc. Just make sure the tonal quality is good and dont worry about presets.

ReplyQuote
(@davebf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah it was a Line6... and thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

If you want a good amp with some toys (ie effects and amp models), I'm fond of my Behringer V-Tone amp. I have the 30 watt version (I think GMX110 is the model number) and it packs some serious punch and I'm quite fond of the modeling setup British-Hi Gain-U.K.. Just my opinion though, plus it won't break the bank.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm not too keen on many Behringer amps but the GMX series is pretty cool. I got the GMX212 and I occasionally plug in it and am always amazed by how the amp models sound. The effects are so-so but that's no biggy for that price. It sounds more honest then the Line6. Other recommendations would be the Roland cube30 and Vox AD30VT. Personally I'd chose between the latter two, with the Roland being best at ultra clean (jazz) and tight metal, with the Vox excelling in warm cleans (blues) and nice rocky overdrives. The Vox sounds more 'vintage' compared with the more modern Cube sounds. Both amplify your technique well and will aid your practicing much more then the 'fake' line6 sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I second the Roland vote. What a great amp.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think the original question was whether a modeling amp is worthwhile or just a gimmick. I think it can be both.

There seems to be two groups of thought on this. Some people enjoy having many different models of great amps or "classic" tones available to them. And if you play a broad range of styles, I think this would be very worthwhile.

Some folks are just looking for one great tone. There are many guitar players you can recognize by their signature tone immediately, like Hendrix, Santana, or Van Halen. Almost everyone can recognize these players after hearing just a few notes.

So that is it really. Myself, I like lots of various tones, but it always seems to turn into a toy for me. I just keep switching presets and listening to the cool tones, I even get lots of ideas from playing around with these various tones. But for me, it is just a complication. Trying to decide which of 43 different distortions to use on a particular song is actually frustrating for me.

I am more of the one "great" tone type. I just want a guitar and amp (and pedals) that puts out a distinctive tone that really turns me on. I would rather have one fantastic tone that I love than many "ok" tones. Most people will agree that while modelers capture the essence of many famous classic tones, they rarely really nail the tone.

So it's an individual thing. I am a simple guy who likes one very good tone. Man, all those hundreds of tones just confuses and frustrates me. But that is me, you may love getting many various tones. And if you do, go with a good modeler.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@davebf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot everyone. :)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Trying to decide which of 43 different distortions to use on a particular song is actually frustrating for me.

I hear ya man. I've been down the line-6 route and still do have a Boss GT-6. The Boss is OK, but I'll be darned if I can ever remember what I liked for what song. Maybe if I wrote it down.....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote