16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Mr. Eric Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_jwCETqFRM

Are you kidding? This guy can shred with soul. This is from the early 90's and has some AMAZING close ups of his technique.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

:shock: I'm simply amazed.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Didn't Eric Johnson do that instrumental called "Cliffs of Dover"? I love that song. :)

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I've always loved Cliffs of Dover. I've got EJ on a couple of DVDs. He is so incredible to watch.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Any one who don't think that is really good should try to play it 8) :twisted: :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Any one who don't think that is really good should try to play it 8) :twisted: :D

Just because it's difficult to play doesn't make it good. But "good" is an objective term, anyway. If by good you mean the most notes per every couple of seconds, sure. That was damn good.

Me, personally.. I only watched about a minute or two into it (so my opinion doesn't mean much).. but as soon as he started into it in a lot of ways it basically became guitar-masturbation. And I don't really dig that.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Well I must be an ignorant slob cuz I thought it was hot.

I know I don't know much about music but it made my ears happy. :D

And my realization that I have so far to go on guitar. OH well, I'm alive to practice another day. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Heard of him years ago but never actually got to see him.

It was well worth the wait in my opinion.

Very fluid and melodic even in the tear-up shred parts; sorta like Neal Schon. Interesting that he uses his pinky so rarely in the scales - sorta 3-fingered like Clapton, but with cascades of notes when he wants to go there.

This should be an inspiration for some players - but not in the normal "wow, if that's possible, then maybe..." It's more like, even with incredible technique a person can get passed over; like Steve Vai in a way; great technician but only know to the guitar-playing fans and not so much as a household name.

For that, one still has to have songwriting as a primary jump-off point; that and singing - and since he was already mentioned, I believe that's where the 'other Eric' - Clapton - still shines; writing memorable songs that non musicians can sing along to and get meaning from.

In that way I think it should be a backhanded inspiration for singers/songwriters. Shredding is great, but write a song that sticks in the public's mind and that seals the deal.

Great to hear this Eric though. Such a light touch as he's flying along!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

His fingers fly pretty far away from the fretboard, huh? Or they used too...
Mine are worse (I had appalling action on my guitars until a few years ago, all through my learning foundation) :cry:

I've been trying to retrain myself now for a few months, I'm getting there but it's slow going. Ah well, I'm stubborn at least :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bish,

your not ignorant bro, some people wouldn't know a great guitar player if they got slapped in the face by one,
that was sweat 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

He dresses funny for a Texan.

Love the sound he gets out of his Gibson in this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08oVRtpjQLw

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I really enjoyed it.

But had an equipment question: Anybody think Jacko ever knew Eric borrowed his jacket that night?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

bish,

your not ignorant bro, some people wouldn't know a great guitar plater if they got slapped in the face by one,
that was sweat 8)

Thanks, man!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wow... you can take the guy out of the 80s, but you can't take the 80's out of the guy. Both Satriani and Vai were playing "Surfing with the Alien" blues out there. EJ was keeping it real with the blues...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

Indeed. In that vid posted by Slejhamer, it was made pretty obvious that Johnson could blues better then the others. Gotta love those Gibson tones, too.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2