Clear all

And we're off! WC2006

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Couldn't find a single post about so here it is. Anyone from the States, England, Australia or any other country supporting their team? How would you estimate the odds of making it to the final?

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Well Canada and football don't go together, espically in Newfoundland, theres only a few towns that even have teams.

But, being an athelete and all I do enjoy it very much. I cheering for England and Brazil, because they are the most talented and entertaining in my opinion. I don't have loyalties, so I can pick two teams.

I was very dissapointed with the Poland Ecuador game though.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Just finished watching England/Paraguay. It was ok, but little slow. WOW that one forward (I think he was) on England (Crouch?) is TALL. Dont remember seeing such a tall player.

I am thrilled that the WC has started and I hope I get to see most the games. Been waiting for this for a year. I highly doubt USA will get far but its nice to see them in it. Beating Czech Rep and Italy will be tough.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Yeah the England game was slow, the only goal being an own. It wasn't exctied but they had some good chances with Beckham's corner kicks and deliveries.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Here in the US, all of the WC games are being broadcast live during the day in Hi-Definition, as well as regular, by ESPN and ABC. I'm recording all of them to watch over the summer...

Our loyalties are strongly biased by the English Premier League, so France (Henry), Germany (Lehmann), England (Rooney et al) and the Netherlands (the Van brothers) are favorites. Of course the US team will be fun to watch too. And Brazil...

It seems I can think of a reason to watch almost every game, so that's what I'll be doing.

And I think it's great when the underdog wins (Ecuador). Costa Rica almost beat Germany because of the aggressive/reckless German defense.

Babydoclaz and Jacqui will be at the quarter-finals in Gelzenkirken in late June, travelling with Jacqui's youth team. Let me know if anyone will be in the area.

As for my picks: France v Brazil, and a hope that the US gets out of the first round.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm supporting England! I don't rate our chance as highly as I did after watching that performance though - Eriksson really is a muppet :roll:

Geoo: Aye, he is tall. Hopefully you've been spared the 'robot dance' goal celebration so far?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Crouch may be tall but I didn't like his performance much. But the refs kept calling him for leaning back on the headers. He didn't catch many breaks at all.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

He's actually got a really good touch - you just don't notice because he's so gangly when he runs :)

That performance wasn't his best, and he's not as good as the British press seem to think, but still very impressive once he's on form. Plus he played for my club before moving to Liverpool - we made him great :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

He's actually got a really good touch - you just don't notice because he's so gangly when he runs :)

That performance wasn't his best, and he's not as good as the British press seem to think, but still very impressive once he's on form. Plus he played for my club before moving to Liverpool - we made him great :)

True enough I guess, he did have some nice footwork going on there for a while. He reminds me of my sisters boyfriend, really tall and thin, but he's to clumsy to ever play football.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As an England fan, I was disappointed with today's performance but pleased with the result - nice to start with a win, and hey they can only play better!

I for one would like to see Crouch's robot dance a few times over the next few weeks - and as a Liverpool fan, a lot more times next season! There's more to him than just winning the ball in the air - he's got an excellent first touch and is good at holding the ball up.....

Always enjoy watching Holland and Brazil play as well though.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

....and I'm guessing Arjen's happy 'cause the Netherlands (or is it Holland? which is PC?) won - even better, a bloke called Arjen (van Robben) scored the goal......

The future's bright, the future's Orange - to paraphrase one UK commentator a few years ago after Holland/Netherlands won their first game in Euro '96 - he was quoting the Orange mobile phone ad........

It's a crying shame that some of the finest footballers - Cruyff, Van Basten, Guulitt, Riijkards, etc don't have a winners medal between them - i remember, as an 8-or-9 year old, Liverpool getting beaten 5-1 by Ajax....the great Bill Shankly assured us Liverpool fans they'd turn it round, but the scond leg was 2-2....and we were hanging on at the end, Ajax were still attacking - i still remember the post-match commentary as well, Shanks said, "We we beaten by a better team" - the only time I can ever remember hin saying that!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Vic, I didnt see the BE match but as to your statement about England.. I imagine they will shine better from here on out. Seems like most play a little on the conservative side in their first game. To afraid to be beat to play they they really want to.

On a side note.. I'm cheering for England should our USA team not make it. I really enjoy watching the premiership so it excites me to see alot of the guys I watch regularly (England) playing. In fact, my favorite American plays in England too. Ya'll stole him from me. LOL Bobby Convey.

I have alot of co-workers that I like in England. So thats another good reason for them getting my cheer.

Think I am taking a half day off tomorrow so I dont miss our (USA) first game.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Vic: Actually, the 88 generation did win. Van Basten, Rijkaard and his friends won the European Championship in Germany. That was payback for the '74 trauma. It resulted in some nice television, with one of our players wiping his behind with a german shirt he just traded and stuff like that. A lot of us don't care if we win the cup or not, as long as we get a chance to wipe out Germany again. Until they all cry and promise to give our worldcup back. Some pretty odd 'fanshop' articles for sale, like orange Nazi-helmets and even full orange wehrmacht uniforms. It's taking it a fair bit too far, but it shows how deep it is with some folks here.

But yeah, I'm very optimistic about our future. We just won the young European Championship and already have a very young team. Our performance was a bit boring but very solid, amazing for such an inexperienced team. We'll see how it goes. :) I love van Persie by the way. His first touch was after twenty minutes which resulted in the Robben goal. In total he touched the ball less then ten times but it was always intelligent and usefull. Looks like we're getting a new Bergkamp...

ReplyQuote