Notifications
Clear all

Animals House of the rising

22 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

and of course we all know that Bob Dylan wrote this song.
the Animals own it for sure.
just as, Hendrix owns All Along the Watchtower.
and the Stones own Like A Rolling Stone.

I'm pretty positive Dylan didn't write House of the Rising Sun. It's an old folk song, it's been passed around for awhile. And as for the Stones owning Like a Rolling Stone -- no way. It might very well be Dylan's greatest song, the Stones version I listened to didn't even come close to Dylan's.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

and of course we all know that Bob Dylan wrote this song.
the Animals own it for sure.
just as, Hendrix owns All Along the Watchtower.
Unless Dylan was born in the early 1800's, he didn't write it.
Oddly, he's about the last male to record it in it's original gender - the song was originally from a woman's perspective. The Animals changed it to a male perspective and it's remained that way ever since.

When I saw Dylan live, he played the Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Check this http://youtube.com/watch?v=IvI7h6pqBhA&mode=related&search=
a really good film and recording of Animals House of the Rising Sun.
This was one of the first song I learned on guitar in my young days....
/Kalle

Didn't the bass player in this vid manage Jimi Hendrix ?

Chad or Chas chandler I think his name is

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yes Rod, it was indeed Chas Chandler - the Animals' bass player - who managed Hendrix. He also managed Slade in the 70's.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When I saw Dylan live, he played the Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower!

I remember you mentioning that a couple of years or so ago - when I saw Dylan, July 4th 2005, at Willie Nelson's garden party in Fort Worth, he played a great version of "Watchtower" that was very similar to the Hendrix recorded version. That alone was worth the entry fee!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I think House of the Rising Sun is an old blues songs, which has been changed quite a bit. If my memory serves me correctly (sometimes it does) the Dylan version which the Animals adapted was done first by Dave Van Ronk.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think House of the Rising Sun is an old blues songs, which has been changed quite a bit. If my memory serves me correctly (sometimes it does) the Dylan version which the Animals adapted was done first by Dave Van Ronk.
There are so many versions, that it's almost impossible to say who did what to which version - it's even appeared under the name "Rising Sun Blues" and there seems to be a possible connection back to a song about a "house" in England, that also had "Rising Sun" in the story line.
I have a version by "raveling Blues", which might be a misprint of "Traveling Blues", neither of which I've heard of, which could have provided the basis for the Animal's version. Although having no release dates, it's impossible to say. Raveling Blues at least sang it in the male perspective, which is not what Dylan did.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2