Clear all

Another Rolling Stones unreleased songs album

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This one is from the 1978 album, "Some Girls". Here's the track list. http://www.rollingstones.com/news/some-girls-track-list-revealed Producer Don Was is doing his remastering thing on the originals. I think he put these new-oldies together like he did for the 'Exile release last year of similar nature.

There are 12 new-old songs this time, though. We'll see if they're any good. The Stones put together their "Tattoo You" album out of songs from the "Some Girls" and earlier sessions. Two fo the songs on that album, at a minimum, came from the Mick Taylor era. That means that they beat out these 12. One was held back a time or two because Keef was afraid that he might have heard the main riff before or something like that, but still. They didn't make the cut. The 'Stones were a mess in the 80'sand Keith and Mick were seemingly keeping their best for themselves. It seems to me that if these 12 songs were any good that they would have made their mid 80's albums that were, um, weaker than most and only done due to contractual obligations.

I hope there's some good stuff, though. I didn't find myself going back to the 'Exile extra songs disk as much as I thought I would. The alternate cut of "Loving Cut" was really good, though.

Well, that's my take on it. I'm still gonna get it, of course. Sheeesh. No way I wouldn't. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hey Roy, that's fantastic! Thanks very much for the news and links. 8)

I am a big fan of the Stones, and of the work of Don Was. Yeah did I write "of" 3 times in a sentence? :lol:

Well, here's another link to Don's accomplishments or discography - it is quite extensive and varied, but all excellent. We can all recognize so many names and several of our own personal favorite discs. I look forward to the new Stones' material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Was

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I forgot to thank you for the wiki link. I didn't know Don Was's work spanned so much ground.

I don't recall which songs he actively worked on, but his work (and others) on the "Bridges to Babylon" album by the 'Stones is probably my favorite of the lot.

One other thing popped out. His three albums a year thing for most of the past 20 years seems like a very busy schedule. I don't know if that is or not in reality, but it seems like it. I've always thought that when Rock bands whined and moaned about having to be in the studio so much that it meant even more time for the folks on the other side of the glass. They have to be there for the recording and then all the post production stuff. Def not a 9-5 thing, eh?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote