Clear all

Any bluegrass pickers?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So, I've recently started getting into some bluegrass and would love to find some others to jam with playing bass. However, I do not have an upright and the budget doesn't have room for one. It seems like most "real" bands want an upright player. Any of you out there that just get together for fun have anything against a bass player playing an electric fretless? I'd like to eventually pick up an acoustic, but can't at the moment.

Bass player for Undercover

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I watch the Marty Stewart Show on RFD TV religiously. he and his band, The Superlatives, are excellent.
the bass player uses both stand up and electric. it looks like he chooses one or the other for a specific type of song.
there is nothing like the slap form an upright. Johnny Cash's early sound was distinguished by the slap of the bass.
in bluegrass you could never have a bugle, as an example of what instrument is appropriate or requisite for a band,
but is a stand up that critical? an electric may look funny next to an all acoustic line up. maybe that is the problem.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It's funny, I actually thought of Paul Martin (Marty Stuart's bassist) after I posted this. Cool thing is I went to high school with his wife. I do want to get an acoustic, but can't justify buying an upright right now. This may just be a passing phase, but I'd like to find a group of pickers that would let me sit in and learn a bit.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@jimdunk)
Eminent Member

I used to get together with two guys at work -- one day a week during lunch hour, we got permission to commandeer an out-of-the-way conference room. I hadn't played any bluegrass to speak of, so I got myself a Steve Kaufmann Book/CD and picked up enough to jam. It was a ball, I really enjoyed it. But, we all went our separate ways, and I haven't played much since. We didn't have a bass, banjo, or mandolin -- but we had some good ol' bluegrass times.

For me, that's what guitar is all about, having fun and making some music with pals.

Jim

Make Guitar Music

ReplyQuote