Notifications
Clear all

Any country music fans...

35 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@countryangel28)
Topic starter  

Among all the other genres I love, country music if one of them. Rascal Flatts is one of my go-tos and I'm so excited for their new album to come out soon.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've been listening to the local country station while driving around running errands this afternoon. I don't know a lot about the genre as it is now or the current "stars," but it's a nice change now and then from the "classic rock" station I usually have on or the "new rock" one I mostly don't like. I'm not too wild about a lot of the country vocals, but they have some killer instrumentalists backing them in the bands! (That may be a little like saying "I don't much care for Dale Jr, but he has a killer pit crew!") There are some really terrific songs on there, though! I heard a song I rather liked by Rascal Flatts, but I couldn't tell you now what it was or how it went. Guess I'll have to stay tuned in for a while and get more familiar with the scene.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

What I knew about country music before I joined GN could have filled a postage stamp with a whitewash brush - but thanks to some of the members here who've recommended some good artists and bands, I've gained a little bit of knowledge. Johnny Cash has been played a lot on my computer....and I've learned to appreciate the music of people like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams, etc.

There IS more to life than rock and blues (there's Motown and Stax, for a start)......and there are some great musicians playing country music. And I've still only scratched the surface....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, I love lots of the old classic country music! As older country fans are often heard saying, though, country music today has no relation to what it was even 20 years ago. It's as different as today's "R&B" is from the "Rhythm 'n' Blues" of a generation or two ago. One thing I do like is that when I listen to new country or watch videos of it, I'm seeing a lot more blues influence, bottleneck slide guitar, resonators and so forth. A few years back, I heard a song playing on the Muzak in a restaurant that had some annoying whiny Nashville singer singing over a guitarist who was playing Elmore James' classic old "Dust My Broom" straight! I never did find out who the singer was or what the song was called, but the guitarist had his Elmore down!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think I'm sounding like I'm dissing country music. I really don't mean to, and I'm not that familiar with it. What I can't stand is the fake exaggerated Southern accent and the fake exaggerated redneck image some of the singers use. I think it's sad that they have the best instrumentalists in the world playing in Nashville bands and recording sessions, but nobody outside the industry knows who they are. It's a personality cult of the singer alone. Like NASCAR and the drivers.

One country singer I really do like is April Taylor. She's from my hometown, and I talk to her a bit online. She's a terrific singer, a very dedicated hard working professional musician, a wife, mother and all around, just a sweet person.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ricochet, I dig the older stuff too. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I listen to country it is mainly the older stuff. late 40's, 50's and early 60's.
there is some great current country. most is too pop for me, but I do like the younger generations take.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I've heard it said that "new country" music is country music for those who don't like country music. Much like "smooth jazz" is jazz music for those who don't like jazz.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Among all the other genres I love, country music if one of them. Rascal Flatts is one of my go-tos and I'm so excited for their new album to come out soon. I was just able to watch their new music video for the single "Here Comes Goodbye" on myspace...its pretty amazing. If you wanna take a look you can go here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=53482240

Let me know what you think!
Meghan

My taste in country tends to lean more towards the sub-genre called "hard-core honky-tonk." That covers people like Ferlin Husky, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Skeeter Davis, Dwight Yoakum, Porter Wagoner, early Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, and Buck Owens to name just a few. I'm also a big fan of bluegrass and traditional Appalachian Mountain music. One of my favorite neo-traditional groups is one called Crooked Still. They do some wonderful re-working of some traditional folk and mountain music.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

My taste in country tends to lean more towards the sub-genre called "hard-core honky-tonk." That covers people like Ferlin Husky, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Skeeter Davis, Dwight Yoakum, Porter Wagoner, early Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard, and Buck Owens to name just a few. I'm also a big fan of bluegrass and traditional Appalachian Mountain music. One of my favorite neo-traditional groups is one called Crooked Still. They do some wonderful re-working of some traditional folk and mountain music.
Wow! Someone who knows Skeeter Davis . . . that song is classic.
I've heard it said that "new country" music is country music for those who don't like country music. Much like "smooth jazz" is jazz music for those who don't like jazz.
You mean there are some people who don't like country? . . . how sad.
I'll say a prayer for them.

Smooth jazz? Hmmm . . . I guess if it's watered down . . . it's more palatable?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Raises hand and lowers head...I'm one of those non-country lovers forgive me!

When I was living in Charlotte I heard alot of new country on the radio and CMT. Some of it I can stomach and I do agree with Ric alot of it is kind of over the top with exaggerated fake southern accents and all and he's right there are definitely good musicians, very good...they just don't make music that I like!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Smooth jazz? Hmmm . . . I guess if it's watered down . . . it's more palatable?

KR2

Think Kenny G. It's not more palatable it's just more bland and ignorable like elevator music.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Raises hand and lowers head...I'm one of those non-country lovers forgive me!
Hey, you don't need to confess your sins . . . who am I to judge? . . .

Like Ric, I listen mostly to classic rock . . . if I hadn't visited my brother-in-law in Texas numerous times . . .

. . . and if I didn't vacation in Tennessee . . . I too would be . . . . ummm . . . unappreciative of country . . .

but I've seen the light!
Think Kenny G. It's not more palatable it's just more bland and ignorable like elevator music.

. . . . and less toxic?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

nice. +1 especially on Patsy, Dwight and Buck. most early Dolly probably is with Porter, right? remember those Breeze adverts? :lol: I also like Junior Brown, Hank and some Eddy Arnold. my father grew up in east Tennessee, so I heard a fair helpin' of the originals during my childhood in Wisconsin.

also like alt country, Willie, Johnny, some bluegrass (Flatts and Scruggs, Homer and Jethro ...) ... and the Band -- if they aren't country, then was is?

I'm trying to get a local singer to do a couple Patsy Cline tunes out front of my guitar or lapsteel. A few weeks ago, we did Ode to Billy Joe at an open mic. I suspect she's got the pipes for Patsy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

also like alt country, Willie, Johnny, some bluegrass (Flatts and Scruggs, Homer and Jethro ...) ... and the Band -- if they aren't country, then was is?

I'm trying to get a local singer to do a couple Patsy Cline tunes out front of my guitar or lapsteel. A few weeks ago, we did Ode to Billy Joe at an open mic. I suspect she's got the pipes for Patsy.

A couple of years ago a friend and I did a few gigs at a retirement home. She plays piano and sings just like Patsy Cline. I would play guitar and sing backup. Those older folks would get up and dance when we played Patsy Cline! She's always been a favorite of mine!

But, then, I grew up mostly in Texas with a guitar playing father who loved the old country stuff. We always had to watch "The Grand Ole Opry". So, I've got a pretty solid grounding in country music! My preference, though, is classic rock, but I can definitely appreciate country. (And most other genres except for rap. I forget who it was that said that "Rap is nothing but jailhouse poetry". I can't help but agree.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3