Clear all

Any Jeff Beck fans here?

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Lately I've found myself getting into his stuff. I even learned "Blue Wind" the other day. What other artists would you reccomend, with a similar style?

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

My favorite of his is Morning Dew

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Anything from "Blow by Blow."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Anything from "Blow by Blow."
+1

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Been a long time fan

+1 on 'Blow by Blow'

also 'Wired'

also many good tracks on 'Who Else' (e.g., What Mama Said, Declan, Space for Papa, Blast from the East, Brush with the Blues, Angel ...)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey There! :D

Well, my favorite Jeff Beck album is TRUTH (The one with Morning Dew - A cool version, tho I much prefer The Dead's)

The question was, I believe - Any other 'similar artists'....

Hard to say.

He has a pretty unique 'Guitar wizardry'.
Also difererent phases: Blues, Jazz, Eastern style, and just plain funky.

The biggest Beck fan here on GN is probably Musica23.... You might wanna ask her :wink:

Good to see ya,

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Ken wrote:
The biggest Beck fan here on GN is probably Musica23.... You might wanna ask her :wink:

No argument here!!! (Please see my avatar!)

I can't honestly compare Jeff Beck to anyone. He's in a league of his own, IMHO. Accept no substitute!

He's got plenty of stuff out there to hear and I highly recommend all of it (+1 on "Blow By Blow", "Wired" and "Who Else!"...also "You Had It Coming", "Jeff", "Guitar Shop" and, for earlier stuff with Rod Stewart, this: The Best of Jeff Beck ). If you're really into that, he's got a box set out there, too, released in '91 ("Beckology"). Some of his stuff is a bit uneven, but the worst JB is better than the best of many other artists IMHO! Here's a great live "bootleg" CD available only on his site that's worth checking out:

Official Bootleg USA '06

But the best possible way to hear JB is LIVE. If you ever get a chance, go see him! Even his live recordings don't do him justice. He's also an excellent showman...very cool and confident (not cocky) in an understated way...sometimes he even smiles and seems to get into the crowd, though! I've seen him use a pick only once. The sounds he gets out of his guitar are nothing short of amazing. He's often credited as being one of the first (if not THE first) to use feedback. And when he does, he makes ya feel it. It's not just a bunch of cool noise. (I once had the pleasure of meeting him...he seems quite shy but is very friendly, which contradicts most of what I've heard about the "big ego" and "difficult" tags that have been put on him. I'll have to learn to scan and post pics one day! :wink: )

I consider Jeff Beck a virtuoso (along with the likes of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, EVH, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc.). To me, the BIG difference between him and the other gentlemen I mentioned is that he's both technically and expressively phenomenal. He makes me feel the music while he flies around the fretboard. No offense to the aforementioned masters! I think they're all amazing, but they don't give me the feeling that JB does (if ya know what I mean). He knows when to economize and he knows when to go crazy! As far as I'm concerned, he's got it all! :!:

Sorry for babbling on... :oops: Jeff Beck is a hot topic with me (and, no, I don't work for him... :cry: ). Ken: you really nailed this one! :D

Enjoy, SGinCYQX! (Aren't ya glad ya asked??? :roll: )

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey There! :D

Well, my favorite Jeff Beck album is TRUTH (The one with Morning Dew - A cool version, tho I much prefer The Dead's)

The question was, I believe - Any other 'similar artists'....

Hard to say.

He has a pretty unique 'Guitar wizardry'.
Also difererent phases: Blues, Jazz, Eastern style, and just plain funky.

Good to see ya,

Ken

How's it going? Haven't seen you in a long while.:D

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ken wrote:

No argument here!!! (Please see my avatar!)

I can't honestly compare Jeff Beck to anyone. He's in a league of his own, IMHO. Accept no substitute!

He's got plenty of stuff out there to hear and I highly recommend all of it (+1 on "Blow By Blow", "Wired" and "Who Else!"...also "You Had It Coming", "Jeff", "Guitar Shop" and, for earlier stuff with Rod Stewart, this: The Best of Jeff Beck ). If you're really into that, he's got a box set out there, too, released in '91 ("Beckology"). Some of his stuff is a bit uneven, but the worst JB is better than the best of many other artists IMHO! Here's a great live "bootleg" CD available only on his site that's worth checking out:

Official Bootleg USA '06

But the best possible way to hear JB is LIVE. If you ever get a chance, go see him! Even his live recordings don't do him justice. He's also an excellent showman...very cool and confident (not cocky) in an understated way...sometimes he even smiles and seems to get into the crowd, though! I've seen him use a pick only once. The sounds he gets out of his guitar are nothing short of amazing. He's often credited as being one of the first (if not THE first) to use feedback. And when he does, he makes ya feel it. It's not just a bunch of cool noise. (I once had the pleasure of meeting him...he seems quite shy but is very friendly, which contradicts most of what I've heard about the "big ego" and "difficult" tags that have been put on him. I'll have to learn to scan and post pics one day! :wink: )

I consider Jeff Beck a virtuoso (along with the likes of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, EVH, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc.). To me, the BIG difference between him and the other gentlemen I mentioned is that he's both technically and expressively phenomenal. He makes me feel the music while he flies around the fretboard. No offense to the aforementioned masters! I think they're all amazing, but they don't give me the feeling that JB does (if ya know what I mean). He knows when to economize and he knows when to go crazy! As far as I'm concerned, he's got it all! :!:

Sorry for babbling on... :oops: Jeff Beck is a hot topic with me (and, no, I don't work for him... :cry: ). Ken: you really nailed this one! :D

Enjoy, SGinCYQX! (Aren't ya glad ya asked??? :roll: )

Before I gave Beck a shot I couldn't listen to instrumental rock guitar. Satriani was about the only instrumentalist I could stand, really. I absolutely hate Malmsteen, seven minutes of him are enough to make my head hurt. Beck has a very lyrical feel compared to the others, IMO. By that I mean his stuff sounds like actual songs, not several minutes of guitar self-indulgence :lol: .

I defenitely will go see him if I get the chance. He's on my list of artists to see, among B.B King, Gary Moore, and Dire Straits.

Anyway, thanks Musica and everyone else. I'll defenitely learn some of his stuff when I get the chance :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I grew up listening to Beck. some of my favorite Beck guitar is on the Yardbird records.
BeckOla and Truth and etc....what Musica posted ( excellent). what more can I add ?
(I'm vigorously nodding my head in agreement).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Forgot about this little gem:
Jeff Beck Live at B.B. King's

:D :shock: :o 8) :!:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Musica! I'll check that out!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

And here he is playing "Stairway to Heaven" with Eric Clapton joining in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ubRaUm2J0&feature=related
(right click link to open in separate window)
priceless

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

teleplayer is a huge Beck fan if i remember right, have not seen or heard from him for a while tho...

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

I've always been a huge admirer of Beck. Once I even had the privledge of seeing him play a show with SRV. Now THAT was a show. :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2