Clear all

Any opininions on Schecter guitars?

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I love my ESP, but I keep thinking it would be nice to have a second guitar to keep in Drop D tuning... I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I'd wondered about a Schecter Omen 6 - has anybody got any experience of these?

Thanks

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I used to have one. It was a very nice guitar. Not overly fancy or anything but it played well and sounded reasonably good. I had one with a satin walnut finish. I traded it in for an Epiphone Les Paul. Paid $299 new and got $189 on it as trade. Not sure if you've traded any guitars yet, but (unless they jack up the price of what you are buying) they usually give you about 1/2 what the guitar is worth new. I only paid $429 for the Les Paul so that was a very good price. I'm saying they hold their value and that says something for the quality. I was hoping for $150 and expecting an offer of $130. I liked it ... but liked that black les Paul better. :wink:

PS I was just thinking, I did play it a bit cause unlike a glossy finish that will show scratches in the areas of wear, this satin one had shiney polished parts from use. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I've got an electric 12-string made by Schechter. It's a great instrument, imho.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

I have a Schecter S-1 (30th anniversary edition). With no exaggeration, it is the best electric guitar I have ever personally played. They make really good guitars for the money.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Every Schecter I've picked up to try is a very solid, well made instrument. I tend to prefer the brighter sound of single coils, and most of the Schecters I've seen have been loaded with pretty hot humbuckers, which have a sound that doesn't really appeal to me.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I had one a couple of years ago; It was around $800, I don't remember the exact model. It featured active pickups, EMG probably...again, I don't remember. Original Floyd Rose, great action - It was a beautiful guitar in every way.

The only downside was that it was considerably heavier than other comparable guitars. I disliked the extra weight, so I decided to sell it. I would consider that a factor in purchasing one - check the weight of it, you may find it not to your liking.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh ... I see I neglected to mention. Mine was an Omen 6. 8) To agree with everyone above, yes, a little heavy and dark sounding. Considering that Apache has a Kirk Hammett guitar the humbucker thing shouldn't be a problem though. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I had a choice a long time, maybe 5 years ago....I tried a Schecter then tried an Epi...The Epi LP blew the doors off the Schecter.
Just my personal opinion....I actually hated the Schecter...picked it up & immediately put it down. Hated it.

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks - every one for the feedback, I really appreciate it, and most of you seemed to like them.
Oh ... I see I neglected to mention. Mine was an Omen 6. 8) To agree with everyone above, yes, a little heavy and dark sounding. Considering that Apache has a Kirk Hammett guitar the humbucker thing shouldn't be a problem though. :twisted:

Ah - yes I should have mentioned that I wanted double humbuckers, and that heavy & dark sounding is what I'm looking for... I really love my ESP - but because of the Floyd Rose I find it a nighmare to try different tunings, which was why I was thinking of getting a 2nd guitar without a floyd rose, then I can play around with these things...

the ESP is also very heavy weightwise too, its about 3 times the weight of the strat copy I had initially, so it being heavy isn't a problem.

Thanks fot the pic TR - it looks like a very nice guitar :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I did like it OK but I traded it anyhow. The black Epi Les Paul I traded it for is just about my favorite guitar so no regrets. Funny thing though ..... The Fernandes guitar my kids got me for Christmas has a neck that feels identical to the Schecter. Same tuners too. Probably the same factory in China. :lol:

A little bit about the Omen 6 I used to have:
Bare wood feel to the maple neck
No binding
24 frets
Dot inlays
No buzzing, nice jumbo frets
Volute (bump) where neck meets head stock
3 on a side tuners (Grover knock offs ... kidney shaped knob but flat backs) Passable but not great
2humbucking pickups
Volume + tone controls
3 way togle switch
Recessed controls
Fixed tunomatic bridge, string through body tail
It was a little heavy

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks TR - I'll have a chat with my teacher about them too - he's also a fab guitar tech, and see what he thinks.

Its also difficult with not wanting to spend too much (only been playing a year so not very good yet), and what ever I get will be constantly compared by me to my beloved ESP..

The schecters seem to have a good reputation, and I have read that they're made in the same factory as the ESP's as they're owned by the same people, although they are cheaper..

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

apache, I've wondered too about Schecter guitars. I have an older ESP LTD that's been re-purposed more times than anything else I own. I've seen them and they've always looked nice. Tons of choices in that $300-$800 range.

Here in the States, I can get a PRS SE in various set ups for the same price as some of the Schecter models. I've loved every SE I've encountered. If I were to get another guitar in the $600-$800 range, it would be that. I don't need and won't be getting one anytime soon, so that point is mute for me.

Back to your post, keep us posted on how your search goes and remember to take shots of the guitar on NGD and post. Sound bites optional, but would be nice. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Roy - I will...

Hopefully I'll be starting a HNGD thread soon :D

ReplyQuote
(@johnnie-black)

they are very "bland" instruments. They play pretty well - not brilliantly, but they're not dogs either. The finish seems to be about an inch thick, so you don't get a lot of character from the wood. They are often paired with EMGs so I guess that doesn't really matter to most of their market. For what you get I think they are often overpriced too - a cheap, mass manufacted nato guitar from Korea should be a lot less.

I personally don't like them but they definitely have their place, and for some people are probably an excellent purchase.

Hey there :) Please enjoy my guitar blog :)

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Johnnie, I think compared to ESP they offer a better value for money, after playing them both for about a month now, I prefer the neck on the ESP - as it is slimmer and I have small hands..
But I prefer the sounds from the Schecter, it does have EMG's - which I think are slightly better than the ESP.
It also has a much harder finish than the ESP, so isn't prone to scuff marks.. although I was cleaning it the other day and my rabbit bit it - resulting in a scratch...
Overall I'm pleased with it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2