Clear all

Anybody own any Agile guitars?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was performing a truss rod adjustment tonight on my Agile AL2000, and I thought, what a beautiful guitar. It was cheap, $150, but it is made of mahogony and was built in Korea. It has Grover tuning keys and it plays and sounds very good. It even has a 2 way truss rod!

After getting her adjusted, I tore up the place with a little Fog Hat. Those P90's sound terrific!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sure do!

I love my AS-820 semihollow with P-90s, and my son's AL-2500 goldtop with THREE P-90s is a fine guitar, though I'd've really rather had the standard two P-90 layout as I don't like the way Gibson chose to wire three pickups on a Les Paul (and Agile copied.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

That is a beautiful guitar; I thought Rondo built their own instruments, I guess not? Can you install a 2 way truss rod in any guitar, i.e. remove the one that it came with & put the 2 way in? If possible, how difficult?

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I own the AL-3000 w/ P-90s. Very nice guitar and the pickups sound great. Looks just like this one...

http://www.rondomusic.com/al-3000csbp90.html

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That is a beautiful guitar; I thought Rondo built their own instruments, I guess not? Can you install a 2 way truss rod in any guitar, i.e. remove the one that it came with & put the 2 way in? If possible, how difficult?
Agile is Rondo's house brand. They're built under contract by a Korean company. They're very similar to the Korean made Tokai "Love Rocks" line of guitars. Rondo carries other lines such as SX and Douglas that are Chinese made.

Changing out truss rods in a guitar is not a trivial task. Forget it.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, changing a truss rod would not be an easy job. They put them in there when the thing is built. I don't recall that the specs said my guitar had a 2 way, but after adjusting it, it does. It had too much relief, yet if I turned it in the direction to add additional relief, there was tension and the rod was moving the neck. Turned in the appropriate direction to lessen the relief, at first the nut was lose for a portion of a turn but then it kicked in and started straghtening the neck. Usually to add relief you have to losen the rod and wait for the pull of the strings to take over. This piece is mechanical in both directions. I like that Imight add.

PS I've had this for a couple of years, yet I think this is my second truss rod adjustment, despite the fact I play it alot. It has a beefy Gibson like neck and is very stable.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Agile is Rondo's house brand. They're built under contract by a Korean company.I guess it threw me, because when I looked over their site before, I saw pics of workers in their shop that were busy at building guitars, which led me to think that they did all their own builds.

When I received a bass from them recently, it did say "Made in Singapore" on the headstock. :roll:

But otherwise, I hear nothing but great things about the company!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I can tell you that if you do have a problem and tell Kurt about it, you'll get customer service unlike anything the major manufacturers will offer! They stand behind their products.

In addition to the two Agiles here, I have an SX lap steel. It's a very nice instrument. I still can't believe they could make such a nice instrument AND hard shell case and sell it for the price they did! :shock:

ReplyQuote