Notifications
Clear all

Anyone buy "Just Because?"

27 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That researching stuff is just slow impulse buying.
Or OCD.

Joe, I was a bit surprised to read that your hollow body isn't versatile, and muddy to boot. It's only got one pick-up in it?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't exactly say it's impulse, but nearly half the guitars I've ever owned I bought when I wasn't intending to buy a guitar.

For me a guitar is all about the sound it makes. That's something you can't really research - every guitar is unique, because no two pieces of wood are identical. I play a lot of guitars... my own, my students, ones I see in stores, whatever. Every now and then I'll play one that's special. I know if I never got the chance to play that particular instrument again, I'd miss it.

The last time that happened I had taken one of my guitars in for a refret. The luthier was busy, so I passed the time by playing some of the instruments they had. I ended up leaving the shop with a new Martin...

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

what Tom says. six times I tried to pick up a steel string acoustic and instead walked out with 1. Jackson PoS :roll: 2. Yamaha Classical AE 3. Burns Steer 4. Micro Korg 5. Blues Junior 6. Taylor T5. 7. Micro Cube 8. Yamaha PA system. 9. Zoom H4. well, okay ... more than six times. but eventually, I did buy that Tacoma dread. only regret: the Jackson.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I do lots of research while I'm saving, but more often than not when I finally get to the store with the money I come away with something not even considered in my research. :D

My last guitar (an Aussie Cole Clark acoustic) was bought because I was waiting for a $2 shop (in Australia a bargain shop) to open. The guitar store across the road had opened early so I thought I'd pass 15" there and walked out with the Cole Clark which I'd never ever considered buying nor any guitar at that point in time.

I've only regretted one guitar purchase (of 20 or so) and that was an ESP LP-style guitar with active pickups which I sold a few months after buying it. And now I regret selling it as it was a beautifully-made guitar and if I'd kept I would've swapped the active pups for passive ones.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It is tempting . . . when itching . . . to scratch.

Very.....very tempting
Joe, I was a bit surprised to read that your hollow body isn't versatile, and muddy to boot. It's only got one pick-up in it?

It's got one neck pickup and that's it. Maybe I just need to change the strings to electric strings rather than flat wounds, but I'm not getting a good sound out of it in my opinion.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It's got one neck pickup and that's it. Maybe I just need to change the strings to electric strings rather than flat wounds, but I'm not getting a good sound out of it in my opinion.

I didn't know they only had a neck pick-up. I can see that being muddy, regardless of strings. Still might be worth a shot before giving up on it and taking the trade-in bath.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I agree. Im going to throw some strings on it this weekend to see what it sounds like. Plus it will give me the experience of a floating bridge.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

I "inherited" my first guitar (I call it my divorce settlement, a steel-string acoustic), and then carefully tried out a bunch of guitars for fit and tone etc. before getting my classical and my Strat.

I have had one pure impulse buy though... there is an electric bass sitting here that I bought purely because I fell in love with the look of it. I wasn't looking to buy a bass and it probably isn't the best guitar, but then I can't play it (yet), either.

Having it there makes me happy knowing it is there waiting for me to get my funky thang happening :roll:

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I bought my Ibanez GRG170 because I liked the shark tooth inlays and it was on sale that day. Darn neck feels too wide which can be a pain in the hand at times, still nowhere nears as bad as my first guitar, hate that stupid thing. Even now it still feels wrong when I play it. Just lays in its case like a relic. I'm sticking to my Ibanez RG, Ibanez GSA60, and Gibby V.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

All in all...from experience...getting something as personal as a guitar (or a wife)..."just because"...is a dumb move! Believe me! :oops:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

All in all...from experience...getting something as personal as a guitar (or a wife)..."just because"...is a dumb move! Believe me! :oops:

Cat

:shock: And that's my response.

Kidding, I couldn't agree more. I tried to sell my Ibanez GRG several times and best offer was $75. Should have just took it. Spent $210 on the guitar.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Heavy research to me just makes me second guess what I'm getting. I'll play it, if I like the way it sounds at the time, then I'll get it. Especially the guitars that are in my price range. I'll have an idea of what I want and compare between models in a certain price range, but rarely do I spend hours and days researching something.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2