Clear all

Anyone play harmonica?

23 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was thinkin about getting one. It looks realy easy to play, so right now im under the impression that after playin around with one and getting a feel for it, one could get good at it fairly quick. Although i know nothing about it, so im probably wrong... So can anyone that plays it tell me about it? Thanks

-Joe

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I took a one day workshop in it and have a harmonica and a book from the workshop. Harmonicas come in different keys. There's a system to how the holes are numbered so you can figure out your scale. You make sounds both by blowing into it and by drawing from it. You can play single notes and chords.There's some techniques to learn, for example how to make that tremolo sound, but it's like anything; it takes practice. I'm glad i have the background in it but i haven't done anything with it because it takes time away from my guitar. Maybe i'll pick it back up again one of these days.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I used to play harp pretty regularly (but that was about 25 years ago). Like any instrument, the basics come with a bit of practice, and the more impressive stuff takes a LOT of practice. But it does have a limited range, and it's very portable - so people can pick it up faster than, say, a cello or bassoon.

One thing that confuses people is that if you play blues harp, your harp will be in a different key than the music. Your harp needs to be a fifth below the band - if you're doing blues in A, you want a D harp. Most harmonica players end up carrying 3-5 different ones around with them.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

what a coincidence!! harmonicas were my first intro to music almost 10 years ago now. i own about 5...3 of them are in C for some reason, i dunno why. and it just so happens that last night i decided that harmonicas seemed like fun and i dug them out and tried to relearn. they're cool

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I bought one but I really don't know too much, I'd love to learn but the books i've seen just show scales and i don't know of any teachers.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I bought one but it is much harder than it looks. Although, you can't really hit a bad note.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The basics is easy, relatively. But for example learning to bend is way harder then on a guitar. And I mean WAY harder. But playing bluesharp is a great workout for your tongue, and I'm sure someone will thank you for it some day. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for replies!

I've done some reading, it looks like there's alot more involved in playing harp then i realized. It still looks fun though! I'll probably get one in C.

-Joe

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I'll probably get one in C.A 'C' harp is what I've always seen recommended for learning on. My first one was a Lee Oskar, and there are some others that would be good for a first one. (There's no need to pay big buck$ for your first one, but something "too inexpensive" may disappoint you into not staying with the learning process.)

Like many things reviewed by Musician's Friend customers, these were rated from "garbage" to "great for beginners." http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-Piedmont-Blues-7Harmonica-Pack-with-Case?sku=421179 (I always read the reviews from worst to best ratings, and kinda average it out afterward. :wink: Based on that, I bought a set of them.)

You can find some suggestions for a first harp at HarmonicaLessons.com, which does provide some free stuff in addition to its members-only areas. http://www.harmonicalessons.com

If you're into Neil Young tunes, see the suggested harp keys and other info under "Tips for Harmonica Players" at http://hyperrust.org/General/Musicians.html .

I really should get in some practice today, while there's nobody else at home. (The cat and dog don't seem to mind my playing, unless I amp it. :lol: )
It looks realy easy to play, so right now im under the impression that after playin around with one and getting a feel for it, one could get good at it fairly quick. Although i know nothing about it, so im probably wrong.Well, the cover of the book Rock n' Blues Harmonica by Jon Gindick says "Five Minutes To Play -- Five Years To Master." I've been wompin' on guitars for around thirty years, and don't think I've "mastered" that yet, either. But a wise man once told me that when more practice leads to better performance, then sounding better makes it more fun. More fun makes you enjoy practicing more, and around we go. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget that cheaper harps are made of plastic and the more expensive ones of wood. And if you begin you'll probably have some problems with saliva, to put it descreetly. And wood generally doesn't like saliva that much so if you do start out on an expensive one, don't get too attached to it. I started myself on a 'Belcanto' or something, for five bucks. Was fun to learn on, sounded like a bluesharp as well. Then later I got a hohner which was about $20,- and sounded way nicer.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

A few hints and tips

Get yourself a harp with a plastic comb. The wood shrinks and swells and is hard to get a seal sometimes.
Get a couple of harps because you are going to play in more than one key.
The key on the harp is generally not the key you are going to play in. :shock: (Count up four starting from the key of the guitar, so E is E,F,G,A)
A,C,D are good harps to get right off the bat. See above to figure out why.
Don't get a chromatic.
Don't get a "Blues Harp" as a beginner.

Some good harps....Hohner Big River, the ones I play. Could be the best harp for the money at right around $10 each. Also the Lee Oskars are really good but a bit more expensive.

A couple of books you should take a gander at...Anything by Jon Gindick and David Harp's Instant Blues Harmonica.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I used to play Blues Harp a lot many years ago, and at one time was pretty good. I still have a few around the house, let the kids play with them. :D

I never had great difficulty bending notes, you lower your tongue in your mouth while inhaling.

They are simple, but still take practice to play well. I think the most difficult part (at least for me) was playing one single note while blocking off all others.

I like the wood ones, used to keep mine in a glass of water when I wasn't playing them.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I picked one up at the music store. It even came with a book, dvd, and audio cd! I've been having fun learning it, but most my time will probably still go into my guitar. :wink:

-Joe

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I've always thought that the harmonica was underappreciated and that more people should incorporate it into their music. Unfortunately I am a hypocrit in the respect that I neither own or play a harmonica.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

At least you're an honest hypocrite. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2