Anyone play violin?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Odd question, yes, but I'm curious.

I'm thinking I'd really like to pick one up. It's tuned in fifths, like a guitar, correct? How's the transition?

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's tuned in fifths... NOT like a guitar. Guitars are tuned in fourths (except for the B string).

The transition is rough. Fingerings along a string are fairly intuitive if you play guitar, but crossing strings isn't - all new scale patterns. Since it has a fingerboard instead of a fretboard, you can get all the microtonal sounds - it'll definately give your ears a workout.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Probably the hardest instrument to learn to play well.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It's tuned in fifths... NOT like a guitar. Guitars are tuned in fourths (except for the B string).

The transition is rough. Fingerings along a string are fairly intuitive if you play guitar, but crossing strings isn't - all new scale patterns. Since it has a fingerboard instead of a fretboard, you can get all the microtonal sounds - it'll definately give your ears a workout.

Tuned EADG, isn't it?

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The biggest change is that your entire posture is different in ever aspect. IMHO left-hand fingering isnt too hard to learn, proper bowing technique is much harder.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

The tuneing is GDAE if your wondering why I know this its becouse I am leaning to play mandolin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've been trying to learn in my spare time. At first, I found it very difficult because it requires a posture and coordination that is very different than guitar. Initially, my hands would fatigue rather quickly. But as different muscles and coordination have developed -- and I've also learned to relax less needed muscles, my stamina is getting much better. I don't find the fifths tuning to be much a problem, especially as it's the same as mandolin. Learning to play both at the same time seems to have learning synergies. It's definitely an interesting experience.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote