Clear all

Anyone tried a Phil Jones bass amp?

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thinking about getting a small, lightweight, portable yet sufficiently powerful bass combo amp. US$400 to $800 range. Strong preference for a hi-fi sound, rather than the in-your-face Ampeg type of punch.

Wondering in particular about the small Phil Jones Briefcase; anyone familiar with it? I think it might be a great practice amp to match with the Cortobass, and it's extremely portable, but I worry about whether it would be usable for jamming with friends in basements and such. I'm mostly interested in clean headroom, and not sure if 100w is sufficient.

(That said, when I played guitar through the little 15w PV Classic 20 tube amp, the drummer said I was too loud and he couldn't hear himself ... so maybe 100w of bass is plenty in this case?)

Love my Eden Nemesis 210 combo (250w RMS) and could easily get another one, but it's not nearly as portable as I would like. I've got the 60w Fender Bassman too, which is alright but a little muddy in the lower end.

Also thinking about the GK Microbass combo; still only 100w without the extension cab and quite a bit more spendy ... for a little more I can get the Phil Jones Flightcase... or for a lot less money there's the SWR WorkingPro 1x10 ... and again for more there's the 300w Markbass Mini ... argh! Too many choices!

I know Laz would suggest a 300w head into a 410 cab, but that's not practical for me.

Thoughts?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Now that is clever. And it has an internal battery. Almost a bass Pig-Nose! I have no idea how it sounds, it might be too "dry" for you, as it suggests that it plays well with stand-up basses. It probably can't compete with a drum kit.

If it sounds good, I'd get it.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Now that is clever. And it has an internal battery. Almost a bass Pig-Nose!

Yes, a motorcycle battery! Great conversation starter if nothing else.

What would "dry" mean in a bass amp context? Transparent, i.e., non-colored? I'm thinking that might not be too bad ...

But all I know is that when I do the Laz-recommended "Chain" riff with my Eden, it's full and clear; with the Bassman it's a li'l bit mushy. So, really just looking for something with a tighter bottom end that meets my other criteria.

Got time; I'll see what other research I can do. Gonna hit up some other Birdsong owners for ideas, too.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

SWR makes a nice small bass amp too.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yes indeed; got the WorkingPro on my list of alternatives.

I've played through an older SWR Baby Blue at my teacher's place; really nice.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wow, so it turns out that none other than Ed Friedland has been out gigging with a Phil Jones Flightcase, and seems to like it. Here's what he wrote over at Talkbass:
I am reviewing it for Guitar World ... suffice to say that this amp really surprises me in how good it functions within it's range. It won't crank out heavy volume, but the low end is very happening for such a small box, and I like the way it fills up the space on the bandstand. Tonight at a jazz club with two acoustic guitars and a Lakland 55-01, people were telling me they heard the bass full and clear out in the house, with no PA support. The speakers won't take a heavy handed approach on electric, but if you lighten up, it still gives the bass a nice full presence.

It ain't exactly cheap... but it's a great small gig, rehearsal or recording amp that definitely makes you feel like you're getting something for the money.

I'm thinking that with the Suitcase, I'd probably end up wanting an extension cab ... so why not pay a little more now and just get the bigger (but still very small) combo.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Quick shopping update pt. 1: I played the Markbass 112 "mini" at GC with a passive Fender jazz bass ... BIG sound in a small 29 lb. package, and good clarity in the low notes. No it doesn't have the wallop of an 8x10 Ampeg refrigerator, but it doesn't sound like a farty little cube either (yes, that was an intentional diss.) It's 300w into the 8ohm speaker, but it says it can put out 500w into a 4ohm extension cab. Very gigworthy ... except imo it's not a good lower-volume practice amp. With the volume level below 2, the lows rolled almost completely off and it sounded very thin. Still, if someone's looking for a highly portable mini combo for playing out, it's worth a look (as would be the Little Mark II head, with the cab of your choice.)

Quick shopping update pt. 2: Genz Benz! Why doesn't this name get more love? Most impressed with their Neo Pak 3.5, which has a tube preamp. (There are some sound clips on their website.) It's too much power and too spendy for me, but just thought I'd mention it because it's killer. There's a used GB M-Line 200 head (solid state) at Elderly, but they won't ship used amps anymore! BOO to Elderly! :lol: Anyone near Lansing need a nice low-price 200w head? Go get it!

Quick shopping update pt. 3: Really, imo, there's just not much difference between the low-end SWR combos and the new Fender Bassman combos. Surprised? No, you're not, because you know that Fender owns SWR ... and they are learning how to make good ss amps! Now, the little SWR tube combos are special, but again too spendy (even the used ones don't get discounted much) ...

So, still shopping but leaning toward that funky little PJB Briefcase.

ReplyQuote
(@icthus77)

Slej,

You have helped me with some questions on a squier 51 before, so I thought I would jump in with my thoughts. I also play bass, and own an original SWR Baby Blue (rated at 100 watts with the 2 8" speakers). I live in the city, and was getting tired of lugging the 48 lb amp up and down 4 flights of stairs. So I took my Baby Blue to a local store that had a PJB briefcase and played them side by side.

Here are my thoughts on the two in comparison:
Baby Blue: a little more low end punch, nice SWR sound
PJB Briefcase: a more hi-fi sound, very quiet, clean mids

Side by side, I can honestly say that although I have rarely found an amp that sounds better than my SWR, the PJB edged it out just slightly. Amazing sound. Of course, if you have to have a tube sound, stick with an SWR, but I couldn't tell much difference.

Having gigged out with the Baby Blue, I have had issues getting enough sound at larger venues to monitor on stage, but it works great at most small gigs, and I think with the PJB, I will be in the same boat, but with a lot more portable rig. I am listing my Baby Blue on eBay and going to buy a PJB briefcase from theperfectbass.com when I get the chance.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Icthus, amigo, thanks so much! That's exactly the type of comparison I need.

Yes, the old SWR 2x8" Baby Blue is one I've played through as well. Great sound, but I didn't realize it was pushing 50 lbs. With my bad back and torn shoulder, that won't do ...

Hey, has anyone told you that you have great taste in guitars and bass amps? :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote