Clear all

Anyone Tried One Of These 12-stringers?

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Blueline's beauty of an aquisition reminded me of some GAS. Alas, I cannot afford the one I really liked (Taylor), or the 2nd favorite (Tie: Martin and Breedlove) Just got a new toy on the electric side. Can't really do both at once.

So, are either of these decent enough, or are they just piles of bhutta-fodder.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-DR212-12String-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518377

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SGT122-SAGE-SERIES-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=512328

The local GC didn't have either out last week and the local Sam Ash, although much improved, has a horrible selection of 12 strings.

Oh, and Nick, I saw that Martin you got for sale. I'm not totally taking that out of the picture. It's just that I'd have to wait. How about not posting any soundclips until Autumn. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

No I ain't tried one but they do look nice though

My friend has one of these and I have had a little play on it

http://www.myrareguitars.com/comingsoon2.html

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

My first guitar was an Ibanez twelve-string, right-handed restrung as lefty. Looked a lot like the one in the catalogue. My concern, though, is that the price now is less than what I paid in 1974. That doesn't sit right somehow and makes me wonder about the quality. I'm not sure "select spruce" translates to "solid top."

Like any guitar, you really owe it to yourself to test it out in person if at all possible. With a twelve-string there are all sorts of other things you do want to know going in, especially looking out for the neck and frets and getting a professional set-up. Not to mention some sort of warranty.

Don't know what your budget is like, but you're more likely to find some better candidates in the $350 - $700 range, even with the same manufacturers. In that range, you do see the word "solid" in the specs. Interesting, no? Check out Takamine, Yamaha, Alvarez, Ovation and Fenders as well. Guild even has a model at $739, I think.

Not that I'm biased (much :wink: ), but you might find this one a treat:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Coastline-Series-S12-Dreadnought-12-String-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516926

I guess the point is that a lot of people buy a cheap twelve-string in order to have one and then find that they either (a) don't like the sound or (b) find it unwiedly (or painful or impossible) to play.

Also, check on eBay and your other favorite Internet auctions / sales places of choice. There are any number of people who give up on their twelve-strings because of numerous reasons (some people just don't find them comfortable to play) and you might come across a good deal. I've bought two Seagullsin the past ten years and neither of them cost more than $300.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Lots of good memories include that Ibanez 12-string!
I'm not sure "select spruce" translates to "solid top."

very unlikely. select usually is an ad-copy euphemism for laminated

But there is a plus side to laminated tops: They are stable and durable -- two important structural characteristics for a 12-string. A lam-top guitar will require a lot less special care in environmental conditions. It can also be tougher than a solid top in resisting the bellying than screws up the action on so many 12-stringers. If the lam-top sounds good to the audience 'out of the box' (have someone play it for you to hear the "out front" sound), why worry about what the top is made of? The sound won't change much over the lifetime of the guitar, either for better or worse.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

While I'm no expert on 12 string acoustics....
I have played a few just recently on my December trip to GC Chicago (far Southside).

Believe it or not, that was the first time I ever played a 12 string.
I played 3 or maybe 4 by different brands.... One of which was a Seagull.
(One was a Fender and one a Takamine....can't think of the other at the moment; Thinking Taylor though)
Mind you, these were all in the 'cheap' room.... Modestly priced; average $500.00.
The Seagull was by far the better sounding.... AND ~ It played SO NICELY, I was stunned at how well it played!
Granted the 2for1 string thing was a bit strange, and I'm sure it takes some getting used to.

As for a REALLY cheap 12 string - I'm with David on that one.
From what I understand, 12 strings have extra heavy necks and are beefed up in the way they are attatched, and still
they are said to have a shorter than 6 string life.
And the tonewood components would surely be dreadful as well.

Just my .02 pence worth with my limited experience.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I've been getting a little nervous about traveling with my Taylor 12, so just this month bought a Seagull for 459.00 at GC. It's a sweet sounding guitar, and I think unbeatable at the price. I played an Epiphone recently and could not believe how awful it sounded. The Takmines are good, but more than I wanted to spend. I'd definitely recommend the Seagull.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hokey Dokey, then. I'm going to listen to my GN peeps and wait. Thanks for all the replies!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

But there is a plus side to laminated tops: They are stable and durable -- two important structural characteristics for a 12-string. A lam-top guitar will require a lot less special care in environmental conditions. It can also be tougher than a solid top in resisting the bellying than screws up the action on so many 12-stringers.

True. My Guild (much more expensive than the Seagull, by the bye) has a maple laminate top. Sounds great.

Ultimately any guitar, be it six, seven or twelve string, comes down to the same two basic points - first, does it feel comfortable to you when you play it? Second, how does it sound?

And being able to hear the "up front" sound is key, as Greg points out. One tip about that - when you have a store person (or a friend or even a perfect stranger) play the guitar so you can hear it, have the person start out by playing things that you would play. Don't let him (or her) just show off his chops. Good guitarists can make even bad guitars can sound good and you want to know what you're going to sound like.

Good luck!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Before I made my purchase, I played a Taylor, Martin and an Ovation all in the same price range of the Takamine. As David said, the things that first jumped out at me were how easy or hard it was to play either of the guitars. Some necks were thinner, some wider. I preferred the wider neck so that I was better able to fingerpick.

After making note of my preferences on the neck size, I turned my attention the sound. By far, the Takamine had the best sound. The Ovation had a very thin sound to it. Surprisingly, both the Taylor and the Martin did not have great sound either. I also noticed a difference in the quality of the guitars.

I was not looking for an acoustic/electric 12 string, it just so happened that the Tak, is one and from what I've read, has great electronics built into it. (EQ and Tuner) I've not yet tested them (at home) but that was a plus to me.

When you do go for yours, I would suggest getting prices from other stores or online shops. GC was able to do a price match for me and threw in a set of strings as well.
I'm sure this is a biased opinion, :wink: but I highly recommend the Takamine. I've not had it long, but me thinks it's a quality guitar.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

One thing that might be swaying me. Well, two things. First, the Taylor. When I strike a chord, it's so familiar and comfortable to me. Probably because my 6-string is a Taylor. So, when I hear the 12 String and it's familiarities, I know I already like it. 2nd, is the Marting sound, which I enjoy so much as well. Granted, it was the "cheap" one, but it still sounded real well to me. That's part of the reason I'm thinking about Nick's when the time comes. I like Martin, it's totally different than what I have now, and it's damned near as old as I am. It's almost gotta have some personality to it, yes?

GC didn't have a Tak out or in tune or something. Can't remember. That was so last week. However, I'll have to take one for a spin. I will say that the Breedlove for something like $700 sounded really sweet too.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

GC didn't have a Tak out or in tune or something. Can't remember. That was so last week. However, I'll have to take one for a spin. I will say that the Breedlove for something like $700 sounded really sweet too.
I've heard the Breedloves are good too. Didn't get a chance to play one. I wish they had one out. I did play a few of their 6 stringers a few months back when I was looking for a new acoustic. I liked them.
Don't get me wrong about the Taylor. I do own a Taylor 6 string. and I absolutely LUV it. I think the model I tried on at the GC just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was out of tune, I dunno. And to my surprise, the Martin also sounded like crap. Again, I think it was just the specific models they had out.

All of the guitars were in the same price range. My budget is/was the same as yours. I picked up the Tak for $650. Case was extra. I think the most important thing is that YOU like the way it sounds and feels. Can't wait to see which guitar picks you. I'm sure its gonna be a good'n

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote