Clear all

Archtops

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey I want to talk about Archtops - do you have one?

I am looking at two different fully hollow ibanez guitars - they are not too expensive - one has a wooden bridge - will that make things difficult if the action needs changing etc? Anyone have any experience with wooden bridges? Does anyone have experience with these guitars? The AK95 has less frets but also a cutaway that looks like higher fret access will be easier.

Thanks

AK95

AF95

Also a shop in my town has this one

AKJ95

together we stand, divided we fall..........

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I was considering to buy one of those when I started to play some jazz. I was playing the cheapest Ibanez and it was playable. I also played a Godin 5th Avenue (amazing guitar) and some 335: Gibson, Epiphone and a Scandinavian brand that I don't remember the name right now.

Ibanez has always nice instruments.

By the way, finally I didn't buy an archtop, when I play jazz-like stuff, I use my Les Paul.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the little round things on either side of the bridge are used to raise or lower the action. wood or metal, it should be the same.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Wow, something about that lower one realy gets me!!!! I have always liked the build quality of the ibanez guitars. the pickups normaly leave me kinda old though.. granted Ive only messed with the lower end semi hollow ones though..

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Lol I wondering if its the reflection of the sun? The shiny-ness of a new guitar is always exciting I think. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've always been the opposite. i like guitars where you see the wood more than the paintjob, like the second one, and i hate shiny or thick paintjobs, too.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I like both kinds of guitar - but you are wrong about the middle one - its laminated and it is shiny. All three of those guitars are shiny.
I looked at Les Paul's today in a music store though because they had a huge display of them - the matt finish ones are so cool :) Not shiny at all.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

the floating bridges are a pain - but they can be (and some already are) pinned to position the bridge on two pilot holes on the body. The ABR type bridges are much more practical that the wooden ones and are fairly cheap replacements. The construction on the Ibanez's are excellent - so no worries there.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Didn't I see where Ibanez had two new models out at NAMM, or are these the ones?

I agree with Ibanez being good. I did go a different direction all three times I bought semis or fully hollows, but I was reeled in by a different one each time I looked. I've never gotten a high dollar one, so anything I have for comps is all that $500 - $800 range.

The Les Pauls with those weaker Epiphone pickups people don't like for hard Rock have a nice mellow Jazzy tone. They put those pickups or something like them in quite a few hollow/semi-hollow models.

I currently have one of the three Ibanez solid bodies I've had. I traded the metal-ish for a MIM Strat a long time ago (mistake) and my Art-100 went towards a USA Strat last year. The Art-100 was the only one i'd consider not good. I'm sure I had a dud.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote