Skip to content
Are USA Made Guitar...

Notifications
Clear all

Are USA Made Guitars Getting Cheaper in Europe, etc?

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering, since the U.S. dollar is tanking so badly lately, has anyone on the other side of the Atlantic seen any price reductions in U.S. made guitars (Fender, Gibson, Martin, Rickenbacker, etc.)? I would think that there should be some benefit for you guys over there.

I know that, in general, U.S. made guitars (and maybe Asian too?) are more expensive for you guys than for those of us here in the U.S. I am not positive of why - always assumed it was a combination of: shipping costs & import taxes. Is that it, or is there some other reason?

I have been reading about how affordable it is getting for Europeans to take trips to the U.S., due to the favorable exchange rates. So, stop on by - and while you are here, pick up a few of our guitars!

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

They're not getting any cheaper.....

I made a post about this a while ago in opinions and polls..... https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34187 .....a little comparison shopping for you!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Not in individual shops, where they've had to price them three months ago or more when they ordered them and have to make a given price to pay the bills, pay for the guitars and stay solvent. There's not a lot of real benefit in a sinking dollar to a shop selling small numbers of guitars.

Wholesale is a different matter. If you're trading dollars in the millions then there's a killing to be made by selling dollars short into a sinking market and then buying them back cheaper later on. Eventually, of course, you have the same dollars going round in circles, at which point the profits stop piling up.

Guitar shops don't trade wholesale dollars. Currency dealers don't sell guitars. Shop prices never actually go down in real terms.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

They're not cheap here by any stretch of the imagination. :cry:

Unfortunately even if one is bought in the USA then brought back here you get stung badly on "import taxes" etc. . . . can't win!

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@diatonick)

They're not cheap here by any stretch of the imagination. :cry:

Unfortunately even if one is bought in the USA then brought back here you get stung badly on "import taxes" etc. . . . can't win!

Rightly said. Import taxes will eat all the money you saved.

-diatonick

Free Video Reviews of Guitar Software
http://www.bestguitarsoftware.com

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

On the other hand, if things keep going like this we can probably buy a bunch of customshops for a tenner before too long. :P

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

For what it's worth, they don't seem to be getting any more affordable in Canada either. :cry:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I'm wondering if prices will go down here in Australia for some guitars and gear.

Since the Australia/US Free Trade Agreement came into effect, we can now import goods that are actually made in the US free of customs duty - just have to pay GST (our VAT). The killer is the shipping costs which can be up to AUD$350.

If distributors don't drop prices then more consumers will buy directly from the US.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Do import taxes differ on new vs used?

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

If you can convince the customs it's a worthless gift, then yes ;)
I've thought about taking a crappy Les Paul copy over to the US and bringing a Gibby back and saying it's the same one! :twisted:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Do import taxes differ on new vs used?
A friend received a guitar today. He bought it in eBay USA. He paid around 20% in taxes. The normal VAT here for musical instrument is 16%. He paid that 16% more around a 4% as "customs duties" (import taxes?).

Also, as you know I bought a Fender Classic Player recently. This guitar is cheaper here comparing it with the other Fender guitars. According Musician's Friends the list price is $1,142.84 and the price for Spain is 729€. For example, the Classic model is $928-$978 and 719€.

ReplyQuote