Clear all

At what point...

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

... did you stop telling people that you were learning to play the guitar and tell them that you play guitar?

Was it after a period of time of after you learnt so many songs or was it when you joined your first band?

As someone who is very much learning to play the guitar :wink: I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

This question came about following on from an interesting thread started by The Dali Lima about playing levels.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

(@davidhodge)

Interesting question!

Not sure why, but I still think of learning and playing as part of the same process and never really made much distinction between the two. (way) Back when I started on guitar I'd say "I play the guitar" and then if someone asked "what level?" or "what can you play?" I'd say, "I've just started so this is what I can do..."

Maybe it's because it's hard to play without learning something, whether practicing on my own or jamming with friends or playing a gig.

As I suspect many will answer, I'm still learning, even after more years than I think possible. I plan to spend the rest of my life learning. But I'm also spending the rest of my life playing...

Sorry if this is a "non-answer" but it's the one I've got! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

That's an easy one for me: when I began playing in public, as opposed to just to a few friends (or myself!) Once I'd had a round of applause, I reckoned I'd earned the right to say "I play guitar!"

Actually we're all "learning to play guitar" really - even people like Robert Fripp or Joyce Cooling or David Gilmour are still learning - that's how they get better and better - and they'd be the first to say that was so, I think...

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

anyone who can put 2 or 3 chords together to form a song can say they play guitar. it depends how far you want to take it. for some folks, knowing the open chords is all they need and they'll stop practicing.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

In my own personal lexicon:

A musician is a person who continually strives to improve their skills, knowledge, and abilities related to music.

A hack is someone who is happy with wherever they are and is no longer trying to improve.

So, for me, if someone is a musician, they never stop learning to play their instrument.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Whenever I said I was learning, people who also played or were learning would say "I'll show you a few things". I stopped saying I was learning when I got past wanting to be given excercises and wanted instead to play things with people. (Not that I'm ungrateful to have been shown so much by so many - it's just a confidence thing. At some point you need to think of yourself as a lower-end guitarist rather than an upper-end beginner)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Whenever I said I was learning, people who also played or were learning would say "I'll show you a few things".

Interesting you bring that up.

I was out at the park this weekend camping and was strumming down by the lake watching the kids swim.

This guy walks up and starts talking and I comment about "learning to play." He says "Oh, I've been a guitarist a long time" so I hand him the guitar and pick.

He has a real hard time figuring out my 3m thick gypsy pick, and eventually puts it down and fingerpicks some stuff, mentioning that I'd be much better off with a thinner pick. :)

He's not bad at all, playing mostly open chords with some little bass riffs. Kind of basic stuff, but it sounds solid and polished -- definitely something he could take on stage and be at home.

After a bit he hands the guitar back and says "why don't you play something you've been working on, maybe I can give you a few pointers." So I plays my cover of Django's "Rose Room" that I've been working on . . .and he just stands there open mouthed and goes "I thought you said you were learning?"

I said "Yup, I am. I'm no where near as good as I want to be."

It was a fun experience.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I don't think I ever said that I was learning to play the guitar. It's not like learning to drive, where you have to pass a test to be able to strut your stuff unaccompanied...

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Being a teacher one thing you learn is that you are ALWAYS a student no matter what level you are at. Right from the begining I said I play the guitar and when people ask since when I'd say not long then add the duration.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'd never really thought about it....... but, I usually say that I play guitar. There are those times, though, when, in the company of REALLY GOOD guitar players, I make it perfectly clear that I am learning to play! As others have said, it's a lifelong learning process. There will always be something new to be learned.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Some interesting answers here. Thanks for the replies.

I guess the underlying theme is that no matter how long you have been playing or how good you are there is always something to learn. With a discipline like learning an instrument that is always going to be the case. I was just interested to hear some of your thoughts on this.

I still don't feel like I "play" the guitar despite having a couple of songs under my belt and am progressing quite well with improvising using pentatonic scale and modes.

I guess I'm going to be similar to PVTele and wait for my first round of applause from someone other than Mrs Chuckster before announcing to the world "I play guitar".
:wink: :)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I say I'm learning, so they don't ask to see me play.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think the first time I played in front of people in public was when I was in grade 7 i believe (quite a while ago). That was about the same time when I realised that I had somewhat of a talent for guitar playing, i guess that's when I really started saying that I was a player, but I'm always learning and I'm always trying to make sure that i'm not full of myself.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

what everyone has already said, i can play guitar but strive to learn more, learning facinates me, not just with guitar but with everything, and what mikespe ( a school teacher by trade)
posted says it all.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If you don't try to learn something new throughout the day, why bother? (and that goes for anything, not just guitar)

For instance, I found out a long time ago that I can't drink 16 hours straight and stand at the same time. I didn't know THAT the day before!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2