Clear all

Baby boomers getting back to the 'scene'

55 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The thrust of this story is certainly borne out on the various guitar forums I visit.
"...baby boomers have the money and time to rediscover the passions of their youth and in the late 1960s and early '70s playing drums or electric guitar was a rite of passage. The reformation of iconic bands such as Led Zeppelin has only fuelled the generation's rhythmic urges..."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/boomers-drive-the-boomtish-renaissance/2008/07/04/1214951042666.html

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

baby boomers I just found out I am in there ... Geez

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

baby boomers I just found out I am in there ... Geez

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing to worry about, Trev. According to all the articles written by Gen X'ers & Y'ers, we're rich, gonna live forever, we take jobs from the young, we won't let them into the real estate market and we spend 'their' inheritance on motor homes, world trips and *ahem* guitars & drum sets ... :P

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Nothing to worry about, Trev. According to all the articles written by Gen X'ers & Y'ers, we're rich, gonna live forever, we take jobs from the young, we won't let them into the real estate market and we spend 'their' inheritance on motor homes, world trips and *ahem* guitars & drum sets ... :P
That's probably because we ARE rich, aren't making plans to die soon, and are probably better at doing their job than they, real estate is a business . . . not a charity, and if we plan it right, we'll die poor but have lived a rich and well travelled life.
I think Gen X and Y needs to oil that whining. It is very irritating to the ears as I drive my motor home down the highway listening to Led Zeppelin on my iPod.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the sale of Harley Davidson motorcycles, Les Paul Gibsons and 60's Fender Strats is going ever upward. the baby boomer crowd is driving it. bands are forming every day.
the 50 year olds and up are thirsty for living. being part of that group I understand that my future will be good.
all generations define their time presence, so does the baby boomer, but more so because of its sheer number.
its huge. and it is powerful and creative. it is flexible and dynamic.
any problems that arise will quickly be solved.
now I wish they (we) could drive DOWN the price of those cool vintage instruments
that remind us of our youth.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm one of those 'tweeners. Only one generation takes us in (and that's only some of the time), and I certainly do not have much in common with them. So, I get be myself and am quite happy about it.

It's not Money. It's the desire, and the time to fullfill that desire. Money is not the difference between playing guitar and not playing guitar. Same goes for motorcycling to a great extent. Even those people who are dirt poor will somehow find a way to get on two wheels eventually, and sometime at the sacrifice of other neccessities. (Yes, riding is that important).

Money is the bigger factor in the implementation process. I bet that the guy in the article would still be drumming whether or not he had the 20,000 AUS to spend on drums or not. Seems to me that you can become a drummer for $500, yes? Sme for guitars. Do I get a Gibby, or do I play an Epi? Do I stay with a 15w solid state practice amp, or do I buy a Blues Deluxe? Either way, I'm playing guitar.

Well, that's the way I see it and I'm sticking to it. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Where are the babies ?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Anybody think it's the Baby Boomers who are pushing the prices up?

I dunno. Maybe as much as a sizable contributing factor? I doubt that they are doing it themselves. :?:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Where are the babies ?
I'm a Child of the Universe. Does that count?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

A lot of it has to do with the fact that when you're young you are trying to start a career, further yourself in your career, get married, have a family and equally flawed things that society values as suceeding in life. When you're 50 and you are at the higher rungs of the corporate ladder and the kids are either moved out or can take care of themselves, you have more time for hobbies. I think that's why you hear so many stories of people picking up guitar when they are young, setting it down and picking it up when they are older. I know because my day job gets in the way of a lot more things than guitar.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

.....equally flawed things that society values as suceeding in life

How'd you get so wise at a young age. You're gonna make a very good ex-wife for someone, someday. :lol: :lol:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Q: What do boomers like to talk about?
A: Boomers.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Definitely. There are lots of them and not so many of those vintage guitars that they want - supply and demand. I suspect that once the boomers pass the prices will drop. How fast and how far depends on how fast their kids/grandkids decide to turn the departed geezers toys into cash. If enough of them do it quickly enough then the prices will drop quickly.

Maybe now is the time to purchase the pointy "Super-Strat" guitars (Kramer, Dean, Ibanez, etc) of the hair metal era as an investment? Or is it too late already?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Of course they are.

Why do MIA Strats and U.S. Gibbos cost as much as they do....?
Because of the less well off of the Boomers execising one of their characteristic traits;
Wanting to have every single version of every guitar out there and not having to pay full price for it =
MIM Fenders and non - U.S. made Gibbos galore!!!!

That demand has driven the prices of those guitars up and as a result, U.S. made guitar prices have to go up as well.
Resulting in a Law of Supply for the MIM type guitars, and a Law of Demand for the U.S. made guitars.

(Meanwhile, all the Boomers give me grief for driving Honda's and Toyota's and not buying American!; Then drive by on
their nice new, quiet, sedate, vanilla Harleys.... While I have a REAL Panhead Wishbone Hardtail in my garage!)

As for the Boomers that made way more than they were worth.... They are driving the real vintage guitar market up to
astronomical prices.

Before the 90's, you couldn't GIVE AWAY a vintage Gibbo or Fender.... Now they are going for over six figures!!!!!!!!!!

They're doing the same thing to vintage cars.

What's going to happen to those 'investments' after they all finally start dying off and the demand for those 'commodities' dies with them????

Probably the same thing that's happening to the 'Harley' market:
Used to be that Harley's held their value pretty well....
Now - Not such a good investment.

Oh, and any real Gen-Xer/Yer wouldn't give a hoot about what the Boomers do with 'our inheritance'....
We're all very well aware of what we are going to inherit from the Boomer Generation.
Thank You very much.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

How fast and how far depends on how fast their kids/grandkids decide to turn the departed geezers toys into cash.
A quote like "from my cold dead fingers" seems appropriate here. :lol:

But yeh, supply and demand runs the world . . . I used to think it was love . . . then I got a job . . . and started investing.

KR2 (PM me and I'll leave you my guitar when I croak)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4