Notifications
Clear all

Baby boomers getting back to the 'scene'

55 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Oh, and any real Gen-Xer/Yer wouldn't give a hoot about what the Boomers do with 'our inheritance'....
We're all very well aware of what we are going to inherit from the Boomer Generation.
Thank You very much.

Ken

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

What's going to happen to those 'investments' after they all finally start dying off and the demand for those 'commodities' dies with them????

It's like any collectibles market - prices reflect (for the most part) a fad, and that'll eventualy be corrected by the market. The actual vintage instruments (50s-early 60s electrics, 40s & earlier acoustics) will hold most of their value, because they really are rare. The 80s - current models are going to plunge, because there are tens or hundreds of thousands. The last guy to sell before the bubble bursts wins.

Just like with tulip bulbs, "collectible" lunch boxes, baseball cards, and single family homes. There's intrinsic value, and there's speculation... only intrinsic value matters in the long run.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

... only intrinsic value matters in the long run.
Kewl! Then I'm going to go back to my original hypothesis.
Love.
That's got an intrinsic value, right?
The Beatles supposition was that was all we needed. Was I misled? . . . before getting a job and investing?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

(Meanwhile, all the Boomers give me grief for driving Honda's and Toyota's and not buying American!; Then drive by on
their nice new, quiet, sedate, vanilla Harleys.... While I have a REAL Panhead Wishbone Hardtail in my garage!)

Yeah. They've been through that era of Harley. If they still had Panheads, THEY would be the ones with bikes in their garages instead of out riding. Pass the vanilla and let's ride! Better ride and more reliable = more riding. You wanna tinker? Buy an old Harley, Indian, BSA, Norton, Triumph....etc. All's I know that I want to ride. That means getting on it and going. That doesn't me nursing it, stopping oil leaks (maybe), tweaking carbs and getting it running enough to show it off at the local biker hangout with the rest of the wannabes playing dress-up. Give me something modern and say buh-bye. I'm ridin'.

As for the rest of the conversation I'm with Lefty. Pass me the popcorn!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

So what did those d@mned boomers do for anyone anyway?

Well we (admitting to it) took our comic book and Saturday morning cartoon dreams and turned them into PCs, satellite TV, cellphones, the Web, hybrid cars, iPods, satellite radio, flatscreen TV, laptops, HDTV, high speed trains, WiFi, AOL, IM, Word (FinalWord!), PowerPoint, Excel (VisiCalc for those that remember), First Lisa then Mac, My So Called Life, CoolEdit, Trash80, Space Invaders, Pixar, Starwars (the movies, not the idiot weapon sh#t), Miata, Bluetooth, CDs, DVDs, Tivo, Twin Peaks, the Space Station, ...

Love it or hate it, it hasn't been all about just buying and greed. Some of use have been building our visions.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

High five, Gnease.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

So what did those d@mned boomers do for anyone anyway?

Well we (admitting to it) took our comic book and Saturday morning cartoon dreams and turned them into PCs, satellite TV, cellphones, the Web, hybrid cars, iPods, satellite radio, flatscreen TV, laptops, HDTV, high speed trains, WiFi, AOL, IM, Word (FinalWord!), PowerPoint, Excel (VisiCalc for those that remember), First Lisa then Mac, My So Called Life, CoolEdit, Trash80, Space Invaders, Pixar, Starwars (the movies, not the idiot weapon sh#t), Miata, Bluetooth, CDs, DVDs, Tivo, Twin Peaks, the Space Station, ...

Love it or hate it, it hasn't been all about just buying and greed. Some of use have been building our visions.

Well.... I have to admit, I have a cell phone and enjoy playing on the web on my pc.
I do not however have any of the other 'creature comforts'.

Hybrid cars - long time coming. Should be well beyond that technology already.
(Good marketing ploy to my generations holistic/green attitudes though :wink: )

Pixar/Starwars (the movies) - Although cool.... Mostly a marketing ploy that ends up driving up my weekly grocery bill
because my son wants 'toys' by them.
Pixar.... Did they do the movie 'Cars'????
How many combinations of the toys are they going to come out with????

My so called life - Wasn't that the Boomers capitalizing on my generation after they put us down as slackers.... or worse!

CDs - I was perfectly happy with vinyl albums (and still prefer them).

DVD's - Okay.... I do like them better than VHS.

Satellites and space travel - Pioneered by Pre-Boomers.
In fact - Space should be a bit more conquered by now.
What has really happened since 69....
Geosynchronous satellites????
Yes, well Howard Hughes invented those.

As for Twin Peaks - YES!!!!
Now that I can agree was something GREAT!!!! 8) :D

Good Job Boomers!!!! :wink:

Ken

ps
it was also an engineer at Hughes Research that invented the laser.... and continuing research at Hughes along those lines
would result in something called CD's/DVD's.
That engineer was also a pre-boomer.... born in 1927.

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Bzzzt. Wrong. Arthur C. Clarke, recently departed British science fiction writer and engineer, invented the geosynchronous satellite in 1945. Definitely not a boomer - he was born in 1917.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Bzzzt. Wrong. Arthur C. Clarke, recently departed British science fiction writer and engineer, invented the geosynchronous satellite in 1945. Definitely not a boomer - he was born in 1917.

Well.... Clarke is probably the most famous of the people who had the 'idea' first.
However.... since he never actually made one (an imposibility in 1945)....

Hughes and his engineers designed, built, and put into orbit the first geosync sat in 1963.
It was not based an any design by Arthur C. Clarke.

What makes it geosync is the specific altitude at which it orbits.
The closer to Earth = the more orbits you make in a 24 hour period.
The furthur from Earth = the longer it takes to orbit the Earth.... could be a month to make a complete revolution.
Somewhere in between (22,300 miles) is where the orbit takes roughly a 24 hour period; thus following the rotation of the Earth.

I doubt that either Clarke or Hughes figured that out though :wink:

*Johannes Kepler's Three Laws of Planetary Motion:

The laws were formulated between 1609 to 1619, and are (as usually stated):

1) Planets move around the Sun in ellipses, with the Sun at one focus
2) The line connecting the Sun to a planet sweeps equal areas in equal times.
3) The square of the orbital period of a planet is proportional to the cube (3rd power) of the mean distance from the Sun
in (or in other words--of the"semi-major axis" of the ellipse, half the sum of smallest and greatest distance from the Sun)

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not saying that the depression era generation didn't give us a lot -- they certainly did, including a hell of a work ethic and much of the fundamental science and tech. If a boomer chose to work for a start-up that created a lot of this newer tech -- or even plain ole Motorola in its heyday, it was 60 to 80 hour weeks, and few got rich. Again: all the stuff I mentioned above is of course based on earlier science and tech. But never overlook the effort and creativity and shear numbers of really smart and dedicated people required build it into new, commercially viable and affordable applications. Most people have no idea how complex are those gadgets they hold in their hands. It's easy to say yeah, I like this and that and hate all the rest, but that's not how it works. You got it all. And at commodity pricing.

My So Called Life was an excellent series about the state of the teenager and families. No put downs in it except for intolerance.

On satellites: As noted above: It's well known that Arthur C. Clark invented the concept of geostationary (a special case of geosynchronous) orbit satellite. If you worked at Hughes, you probably were fed some propaganda about Howard inventing it. He did not. Hughes was contracted to NASA to develop and build the first successful geosync sat. Note that is "developed." Not a minor thing to do the development, but it is not "invent" and NASA very probably wrote the specs and did the math. Little things such as Onmitraks, GPS, satellite phone, satellite TV and satellite radio are actually more complicated that the satellite techonology upon which they rely. Many of these had to wait for the computing and solid state integration tech to progress to even be possible. Math, math, math.

The maser, which is the groundbreaking forerunner of the laser, was invented by some Russian gentlemen and first built and demonstrated at Columbia University. Hughes did the first laser some years later, but that work would have been highly derivative.

I don't really want to trash Hughes here, but it's important to realize that many of these early 20th century companies were founded by aggressive charismatics who knew a thing or two about self promotion and making the most of it. Howard Hughes was hardly the worst. That title probably goes to David Sarnoff of RCA.

Maybe X and Y gen'ers have complexes about boomers. Waddya think the boomers thought of their fathers who "fought in a real war" and knew how to scrape by in the depression? All a cycle of the same.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

DVD's - Okay.... I do like them better than VHS.

DVD's are so last dentist appointment. Bluray is all the rage now.
CDs - I was perfectly happy with vinyl albums (and still prefer them).

I have a few CD's but can't figure out what they are for. I've heard they were the source of music before iPods. I just use them as a mirror because they are shiney.
My So Called Life was an excellent series about the state of the teenager and families. No put downs in it except for intolerance.

I agree. My second favourite show next to Dead Like Me.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Wow , I guess I should just kill myself now , being the cause of all the world's problems because I was born in 1958 . It's easy for you Gen-Xers to sit here with your 20/20 hindsight and tell us where we went wrong . You have the benefit of our experience to draw on . I didn't hate my parents because they weren't perfect , maybe because I had a chance to walk a mile in their shoes .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wow , I guess I should just kill myself now , being the cause of all the world's problems because I was born in 1958 . It's easy for you Gen-Xers to sit here with your 20/20 hindsight and tell us where we went wrong . You have the benefit of our experience to draw on . I didn't hate my parents because they weren't perfect , maybe because I had a chance to walk a mile in their shoes .
Yes, the envy of Gen X & Y is astounding. Do they really think all boomers had it easy and that we are all rich these days?

I wasn't able to purchase my own home until I was 44 and I'm still paying it off. I didn't go overseas until I was 39. In my first few flat rentals I was happy with packing crates for tables and goodwill chairs - I didn't need (nor would I have been able to) to have the nicest things straight off - actually I still don't. I don't own Gibson guitars or flashy amps or sports cars (an 8yo Ford Laser) or HD motor cycles etc etc. Theguy in the news story I quoted above would not be representative of the majority of boomers.

I'm of a generation that lost fathers & uncles long before their time should've have been up due to war injuries. I remember so much of my earlier years visiting my father in hospital and watching him suffer for many, many years before his death at 57.

When my own teenage children carry on about never being able to buy a home because of the 'greed' of boomers I remind them of the hundreds of dollars they waste each month on cigarettes, alcohol, mobile phone bills, computer games, playstations, mp3 players and the list goes on (yet, they still have the cheek to complain about being bored!).

Where the boomers did seriously go wrong is they have produced two generations of very selfish, self-centred and greedy children who expect everything given to them with the least amount of effort on their part. The western world is way too-centred on youth who haven't earned their place in it yet.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

If we are guilty of a crime , it is the crime of wanting our kids to have the things that we didn't . Heck , they weren't even invented yet . TV in my bedroom ? Yeah , if I bought it myself . Then I could watch all three channels (four on a clear day) .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Where the boomers did seriously go wrong is they have produced two generations of very selfish, self-centred and greedy children who expect everything given to them with the least amount of effort on their part. The western world is way too-centred on youth who haven't earned their place in it yet.

Hey -- I drove my parents absolutely crazy. I expect the same of my teenager. She delivers!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4