Notifications
Clear all

Bad Reputation

56 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I played it, but didnt recognize it O_o, guess its just a different age zone O_O.

Yes is pretty ancient - in fact it's close to 50 years old :shock: ( Don't tell cnev but it's the end of Stand By Me....)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So, in my experience it has been nigh to impossible to find someone willing to take me seriously enough to teach me notation.

Perhaps we could just do it in a thread on the forum here?

It's pretty straightforward to learn what the symbols mean. The main game is working through some exercises for a few minutes day until it sticks.

That small piece of notation that I linked to before just tells you to play a simple 3 note phrase 4 times. B A G. The only difference between the four is that various notes are held for longer or shorter times.

You can use the open B string for the B, your middle finger on the 2nd fret of the G string for the A and then the open G string.

The different shapes (i.e. the hollow one with the dot and the solid one) just tell you how long to hold the note for. The hollow one with the dot is held for 3 beats, and the solid dot is just one beat. The squiggly flash is a one beat rest.

So it's

Staaaaand by meeeee...stand by meeeee...(pause) stand by me...(pause) stand by meeeeeeeee

I'm sure that we could work out some simple exercises for learning the note names ( a few minutes a day is enough) and then some separate ones to work on the timing. There's a bit more detail of course, but that can be added once you've nailed the basics.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@outlaw-pete)
Eminent Member

Reading piano music is fairly simple(in theory) compared to guitar as each note has only one position (although you do have to read to pieces at once). On guitar there are multiple ways to play the same note and so it becomes more confusing before you even start. There's a thread on what string to use here

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45712

On a different level altogether what is the correct way in standard notation to write this?

A:-3-
E:-8-

Or
A:-0-
E:-5-

Where the same note is played in the same octave but twice on 2 strings

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

yes, there's a way - in fact, there are two.

In the first method, you'd show one stem, with note heads on BOTH sides of the stem. In your examples, you'd have a C on the first ledger line under the staff, with stem up, and a note head on both sides of the stem... in your second choice, same deal, but on the second ledger line under the staff.

In the second method, you'd have one note head, but two stems - one in each direction. This is often done with counterpoint lines, where the two melodies are briefly on the same pitch. If you're using that method I'd also use string numbers, because a contrapuntal unison is often played as a single pitch if it's left unclear.

Adding string numbers to standard notation fixes where the notes will be realized. In your two examples it's already clear, because there's only one way to play them on the guitar. But you might have something like two top-space E notes, which can be done several ways: xxxx50, xxx95x, xx12-9xx, etc. If the strings used are important, you'd add string numbers (in standard notation, these are standard arabic numbers enclosed in circles).

On the guitar, a TRIPLE unison is possible when one note is an open string (or when playing in very high positions)*. For example, you could have triple Es xxx950 or triple Ds 10-5-0xxx. I've never seen a case where this was actually used in a composition, and I don't find anything in standard notation texts on how to handle it. If I ever needed to score something like that, I'd probably combine the two methods - showing a double note head, with one of the heads having two stems. I'd also add string numbers so it's clear you'd need to sound all three pitches.

*that's in standard tuning, of course - plenty of performers (Stephen Stills comes to mind) have used tunings that get four or five unisons pretty easily

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@outlaw-pete)
Eminent Member

Thanks for that, you've really cleared it up for me.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Can you recommend any books/series to guide one in the process for learning to read standard notation for guitar?
Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar - Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete or A Modern Method for Guitar - Volume 1: Book/DVD-ROM Pack is a classic for this. No tab anywhere and it leads you from really basic stuff to more complex starting in position 1 (index finger on the first fret) on up. The melodies are also not things that you've heard before, no folk songs etc., so you really do have to read them. There are also workbooks by Leavitt beyond this for reading studies.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Hyperborea - thanks. I've added these to my Amazon shopping list. Although I have a rudimentary understanding of standard notation, I haven't had the discipline so far to teach myself to sight read.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Q: What does it mean when drool drips from both sides of the guitar players mouth?
A: The stage is level :mrgreen:

Good thread. I have been thinking about taking some piano lessons.
Mostly to learn some basic reading skills and theory. I have a keyboard and can play accompaniment (a little) but would like to learn more.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Chris, I know I know ...it's Stand by Me...Ha OK I cheated and saw the answer, never got around to turning the computer on when I got home Friday, pretty much got straight off the plane and went home and then I had band practice.

Cool I know all the notes, rests ties etc I used to be able to read music way back when I was about your age but haven't done it in years.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Here's a staff of birds:

http://vimeo.com/6428069

:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Here's a staff of birds:

http://vimeo.com/6428069