Clear all

Band Name needed!

29 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My band has decided we need a new name as the current one" indy900" doesn't really suite as we are all thrity somethings now.
So if you've ever thought of a cool name for a band and want to donate it to us let me know.

Thanks

Bob.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Ahhh, the age old problem. My band (from way back when) took months of chopping and changing before we finally stuck with 'Drone' and its multiple meanings. I always quite liked Cancelled, but it's probably not the most sensible name to put on a gig flyer :)

There's a good source of inspiration on how to find a name that means something to you here - it's a list of how everyone else did it. Good examples are taking a lyric from a shared favourite song, etc, ie 'Radiohead' from the Talking Heads song of the same name. 'Drone' was from a Nirvana song (who made up 50% of our playlist), but also a little self-deprecating humour (as in boring, unchanging noise) and a hint of the paranormal (as in alien drones).

Alternatively, you can just run of a few lists from the net and then have everyone pick their favourite 3 or 4, then all vote/thrash it out from there...

Googling band name list gives you hundreds of lists, but one of the good, long ones is http://www.segnbora.com/bandnames.html , and it has links to other good ones too.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

'Parkway'

I don't know why.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the traumatic childhood experience

ReplyQuote
(@guitarist319)

Gordon Showers?

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

How 'bout Geezer. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@stan-ton)
Trusted Member

Lock Former
When I worked as a young lad there was a machine called this and I thought what a great name for a band....!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

For years me and a friend wanted to name a band Minus 54, after a long funny story that happened. However, Tom Delonge's new band +44 killed our dream.

Perhaps you could name it after a person who isn't in the band. Like, The Andrew Reynolds Revival, or something like that. Then people in the crowd would be like "Which one is Andrew Reynolds?"

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Have you tried a band name generator?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fun/bng?g=home&src ="3SOSWXXA"

It may not help, but they come up with some pretty funny stuff sometimes! :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

How 'bout BOBBLEHAT?

Really, that would be a pretty cool name, because you can't nail it down. It can mean anything at all. It is short and catchy. It sounds like the name of a band.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@graham)
Eminent Member

"Void where Valid" it's a name my son wanted to name a band when he was 6.

G

Graham

'72 Guild D25
'72 Guild A50 Archtop
'87 Guild GF25
'89 Guild JF30
'96 Guild DV-52
'99 Guild JF30-12

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

How 'bout BOBBLEHAT?
I second that; a great name for a band! 8)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

What I did with my band was look for something we all enjoy, and then look for things related to that.

All of the members of my band enjoy winter sports (like skiing and snowboarding, hey, we're rich kids from the upper east side of Seattle, we have to like them). I kept my eyes open for something involving winter sports and found a documentary made in the 80's called "White Winter Heat". That is now our band name.

It's not exactly easy but having names that are relevant seems to stick a lot better with band mates than random names.

A lot of it also is just picking a name that seems best and trying to stick with it. Don't let your band name define you, you define your band name. To me my band name sounds pretty indie popish, but I consider us to be more of a indie-punk band (though not really hardcore enough to be punk sometimes).

Anyways

Good luck!

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

How 'bout BOBBLEHAT?
I second that; a great name for a band! 8)

You know, the more you say it, the more it does sound like the name of a band. 8) I think Wes has a winner! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Whiskey Tango

it's a cool name but it's already taken by a bar

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2