Skip to content
Bands / Artists tha...

Notifications
Clear all

Bands / Artists that Appeal to One Gender Only (or mostly)

60 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

The 'I don't like this artist ' thread got me thinking about this especially as Rush came up a number of times. Rush seems to be one of those bands that appeals mostly to guys. Jeff Beck is another artist that seems to appeal mostly to guys. This is from what I see at concerts and from various conversations with both genders over the years.

Anybody understand why? Any other bands / artists that appeal to one gender or the other?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Well, a lot of acts are like this.

Britney Spears
Spice Girls
Aguilera
Backstreet Boys
N'Sync
etcetcetc

...Well, a lot of pop acts will appeal mainly to women. Sure, guys may go "yeah, hotties" but we don't like the music for the most part.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Most of the guilty pleasures stuff is covered under this.

By the way, no personal jab, but I think this is a totally worthless thread. Music is for all. No gender bias here.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

In the 80's there was an early interview to Madonna...'do you like Pink Floyd'???...
and she answered...'No. It's too male like'.

I think this is an interesting thread . What is female like? : dance, sensuality, rhythms that provoke dancing. What is male like: it is more directed to abstraction, logic, complexities.

You won't never dance with 'Tom Sawyer' or 'Subdivisions', and maybe this is the reason women dislike Rush.
We men also concentrate in the solos , in the virtuosity of the player, in their accuracy...Women will concentrate in their looks (hehe) and in the rhythm...always the rhythm.
any other thoughts?

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

In the 80's there was an early interview to Madonna...'do you like Pink Floyd'???...
and she answered...'No. It's too male like'.

I think this is an interesting thread . What is female like? : dance, sensuality, rhythms that provoke dancing. What is male like: it is more directed to abstraction, logic, complexities.

You won't never dance with 'Tom Sawyer' or 'Subdivisions', and maybe this is the reason women dislike Rush.
We men also concentrate in the solos , in the virtuosity of the player, in their accuracy...Women will concentrate in their looks (hehe) and in the rhythm...always the rhythm.
any other thoughts?

Please please mods, take this thread away before this goes anywhere bad on the hook. We are not here to discuss feminity. STOP.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Most of the guilty pleasures stuff is covered under this.
Maybe a lot of the guilty pleasures stuff is people crossing this line and listening to music that is more favoured by the opposite gender?

By the way, no personal jab, but I think this is a totally worthless thread. Music is for all. No gender bias here.
Sure, I agree that "music is for all". But by their own selection of what music they listen to, go to concerts for, buy albums/CDs of some music has more female fans and some more male fans. So, the fans themselves have made some music favoured more by one gender.

Interesting observation. It also seems to me that looking at music of the 20th century (and maybe earlier too) that once a music stops being "danceable" that it soon stops being "popular". Blues and later jazz mutated from danceable forms into more listening forms and their popularity waned. Blues only came back when it was taken up and incorporated into, at the time, more danceable music.

Edit- fixed attribution of the third quote.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Jeff Beck is another artist that seems to appeal mostly to guys.

Anybody understand why?

Hmmmm....
I think Musica23 would strongly disagree with that obsevation :shock:

I agree, this could be a cool thread.
I think that anything that guys have to say would be pure speculation though.
I would much rather hear from the girls here.
They have a much greater understanding of these things :D

I have to say though that Aerosmith seems to appeal mostly to girls.

And most girlfriends I've been with couldn't stand the Blues.

Maybe Musica23 could share with us what it is about Jeff Beck that she finds so appealing....?

I love the Truth album.
And Beck was fantastic with the Yardbirds.
Very innovative stuff.
Great tone.
And it sounded like he was having fun.

Come to think of it, Melody really likes Jeff Beck as well.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Stuff like this is gonna ruin GN.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Please please mods, take this thread away before this goes anywhere bad on the hook. We are not here to discuss feminity. STOP.

Rahul, just because you do not deem this thread to be "worthy" does not mean that others don't. If you don't care for a particular thread, stay away from it, but don't tell those participating in it that it is not a "worthy" subject. Any subject related to music is worthy if it opens up discussions.

And, I deleted one of your posts because I found it to be offensive to women. Please curtail your need to tell others what they should or should not be discussing.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I don't find any problem here Rahul...we are not discussing feminity per se, however it's interesting to have some ideas why girls focus more in some types of music (or artists) than in the others.:)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I don't care. Signing off for some months now. Bye.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I don't care. Signing off for some months now. Bye.

It's a pity. I would like to know his opinion anyway.I don't know why he took it so personal.

oh well .

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

OK, then, back to the original topic..........

Of course there are going to be differences in music preferences between the genders. Just like there are "chick flicks" that a lot of men won't particularly care for, there's that same thing present in music. Different musical styles speak to us in different ways.

I, personally, prefer pretty, melodic fingerpicking such as Eva Cassidy to loud, fast and furious guitar playing such as Rush and Jeff Beck. But, I totally understand the male fascination with it! And, I'm not saying that I don't occasionally enjoy loud, fast and furious music, because I do! But, it has to be in the right setting. If I'm at home by myself, I'll be listening to something soothing, if I'm out and partying, I want it loud! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I just noticed something strange - looking through my CD collection, I counted how many were by female artists. It didn't take long. ONE! Blondie's greatest hits....

Marilyn doesn't have that many either - Dolly Parton's greatest hits, Cher's greatest hits, The Carpenters hits, and two albums by the Corrs - unplugged and "in blue." Of course, we've got lots of tracks by female singers on various albums, but very few actual female artists.

Strange indeed!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I just noticed something strange - looking through my CD collection, I counted how many were by female artists. It didn't take long. ONE! Blondie's greatest hits....

Marilyn doesn't have that many either - Dolly Parton's greatest hits, Cher's greatest hits, The Carpenters hits, and two albums by the Corrs - unplugged and "in blue." Of course, we've got lots of tracks by female singers on various albums, but very few actual female artists.

Strange indeed!

:D :D :D

Vic
And I was thinking how many female artists have played in a prog band..... Ruth Underwood of course she played with Zappa...but no one else!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4