Skip to content
Bands / Artists tha...

Notifications
Clear all

Bands / Artists that Appeal to One Gender Only (or mostly)

60 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I got rid of my Vinyl collection back in 1997 :oops:

A lot of my albums have disappeared over the years - but I've still got a pretty good collection of 45's. I'm willing to bet if I took a look in the attic, I'd be able to lay my hands on songs like "You're So Vain" "Nutbush City Limits" "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" "Respect" "Midnight Train To Georgia" "Goin' Back" "It's Too late" "Piece Of My Heart" "China In Your Hands" (T'Pau was one of the bands I forgot from the cassette collection - another greatest hits.) "First Cut Is The Deepest" (P.P. Arnold) "Son Of A Preacher Man" "Baby Love" "Heart Of Glass" "Brass In Pocket" "Kid" and "Walk Like an Egyptian."

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I have albums from of Sandy Denny (Fairport Convention), Marianne Faithfull, Judee Sill, Kate Bush, Joan Armatrading, Joni Mitchell, Linda Thompson (ex-wife of Richard), Etta James, Gladys Night, Portishead, and the hall of fame: Mahalia Jackson ,Ella and Billie Holliday.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You know, I think you're right that OWA originally posted the "Sons of Butcher" link. My daughter thinks that's a hoot, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

PS eer what has happened to the 'I don't like this artist' thread???

Probably gone to rock'n'roll heaven - it did get a little over-heated in a couple of places. Shame, really - for the most part, it gave us a chance to air our pet hates and say why we didn't like Rush.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

PS eer what has happened to the 'I don't like this artist' thread???

Probably gone to rock'n'roll heaven - it did get a little over-heated in a couple of places. Shame, really - for the most part, it gave us a chance to air our pet hates and say why we didn't like Rush.

Vic

well a pity indeed .thanks Vic.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

It's too bad Rahul confused a discussion of gender preferences with sexism.

My collection includes Rush CDs. Even if they're not played as often as, say Van Halen or Kansas or TOTO or Ted Nugent, I still like Rush for certain moods.

I have plenty of CDs by women artists in my collection, but I'm more often in a mood to rock a little harder than most of the female artists that I have music by.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

It's too bad Rahul confused a discussion of gender preferences with sexism.

My collection includes Rush CDs. Even if they're not played as often as, say Van Halen or Kansas or TOTO or Ted Nugent, I still like Rush for certain moods.

I have plenty of CDs by women artists in my collection, but I'm more often in a mood to rock a little harder than most of the female artists that I have music by.

Margaret

Hey, got room for one more on that deserted island? :P

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's OK, Cloudy! Just goes to show that you're your own person, you know what you like and you don't "follow the crowd". All good things, IMHO! But, then again.... I'm old as dirt!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I sit around and attempt to play the bass line from "Spirit of the Radio"

........................I just listen to music that is now considered "OLD as dirt"

Ummm, there are a lot of us around here who might resemble that remark....... :twisted:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Old is good - funny how a song like "Blueberry Hill" or "Great Balls Of Fire" or "No Particular Place To Go" or "That'll Be The Day" or "La Bamba" or "Earth Angel" or "Twilight Time" or "Rock Around the Clock" or "Heartbreak Hotel" or "Kansas City" still sound as good, and as fresh, today as when they were recorded way back in the 50's.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

All good things, IMHO! But, then again.... I'm old as dirt!!! :D,
and Margarets remarke too : Rubbish!!!!! My Dad's still a teenager, and he's in his 70's :D :D

Agree with the remark to Cloudy - be your own person, and enjoy it - My brother once said to me something I like to remember:'Be strong, live life as your own.

My collections of male and female are about equal with various genres - my appreciation of rock has grown since joining this Forum, so that's a good thing.

May I say Shanti, Shanti to Rahul and come back soon, I think he meant well :) I hope 'Shanti ' means Peace.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Great thread. As the resident Rush geek I can tell you that you've all hit the #1 male band in the world. 90% of their fans are male. Why? I'm thinking it is the science-fiction link and the total lack of emotion in the singing... just a guess. Plus, none of them are great to look at so that might have turned off some early listeners.

I'll tell you what, I think female bands and artists have made some amazing strides in the last 15 years in terms of rock-n-roll. I like a host of newer rock bands with female members. I don't recall too many in the maintsream back in the 80's and 90's.

One that comes to mind from the 90's was Belly. I really liked them.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Right at 10% of the artists in my collection are female. That's excluding orchestral music and non-music (comedy, etc). For bands, if the lead singer was female, I counted the band as female, otherwise as male. Some of the artists are....

Aretha Franklin
Blondie
Fiona Apple
Fleetwood Mac (I should really count them once as male and once as female, since I have the original Mac "Chicago '69" album)
Garbage
Ghouls Night Out
Joan Jett
Joan Osborne
Joss Stone
L.T.D.
Labelle
Melissa Etheridge
Natalie Cole
Sheryl Crow
The Donnas

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Personally, my choices are mostly lyric driven. I have a lot of the same Cd's Elektrablue has, but because the words spoke to me somehow. The same goes for Springsteen, Billy Joel, and one of my faves, Bernie Taupin. It's not so much about gender, but about a lyric I can relate to.
When I play them, I just change the gender, or not.

I have to agree. I go mainly by if I can relate to the song. I'm not really a big Rush fan but again, a song like Tom Sawyer really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I do still like several loud and fast rock bands like Van Halen, Def Leppard or Guns and Roses to name a few but my musical tastes are really all over the place.

For the record, most of the music that people consider "danceable" is stuff I really don't like. I have never liked NSYNC or Brittany Spears type music, even as a kid. Back then my friends though the fact that I liked people like Billy Joel or Elton John or The Clash to be weird.

I have several female artists in my CD collection but I mainly listen to country now and it seems in that genre women are more popular than in, say, rock.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I can only find a two women in my cd collection:
Janis Joplin - Love that Summertime song.
Ani Difranco - Great lyrics and strange guitar tunings

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4