Skip to content
bands of the 60's a...

Notifications
Clear all

bands of the 60's and 70's really innovative?

108 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
16.2 K Views
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i posted this at another forum but i will post it here too.

i have a friend that just keeps bickering about how he hates classic rock music, and how the only reason it was popular was because a bunch of drunks and hippies kept buying the albums.

how the production sucked, and how they had a bunch of really crap producers back then.

how bands back then were not influencial at all, a lot of the singers sucked, and the bands weren't innovative with anything.

how they had no talent, and how he thinks jimi hendrix wasn't that good at guitar.

how the bands of the 50's funk bands had much more talent then hendrix, page, etc

i just tell him that without these people he wouldn't have the music he listens to now (which is new indy stuff) but he refuses to believe it.

i try to tell him he woudlnt have many if any of the guitar effects that he has today. he chooses not to believe that.

he says for someone like stevie ray vaughan, he can agree with why he's good and influencial. but i tell him that stevie ray vaughan wouldn't be who he is, without albert king, hendrix, etc.

i say, without hendrix many people wouldn't be playing the guitar the way they do now. but he says no one plays like hendrix today, that hendrix had out of tune bends, played random notes, changed keys 50 times during songs, and was one of the worst singers of all time just like a lot of classic rock singers.

i mention plant, he says he hates his voice

i mention jack bruce, he says he's never heard of him.

i don't think this person's gonna be a friend very soon.

what would you say to this?

i mean i have no problem with him saying he doesn't like it, but to spew this kind of bull, something just needs to be said.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think you can gain nothing by arguing with his ignorance.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Can't really blame the guy for this. :)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol me either...Plant is the reason I don't like Zeppelin very much.

I have a friend who really hates the music I love...So, we just agreed not to talk about music...Not that big of a deal really.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I only really have one person that likes the same music as me. Other than that no one would know who or what i'm talking about. The majority of the music talk I do is with my guitar teacher, we trade cds and introduce each other to some cool stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I only really have one person that likes the same music as me. Other than that no one would know who or what i'm talking about. The majority of the music talk I do is with my guitar teacher, we trade cds and introduce each other to some cool stuff.

Yeah, this is the case with me as well. If I were to stop being friends with those who don't share the same tastes in music as me, I'd have no friends. Literally. When I mention Mike Bloomfield or John Mayall, they have no idea what I'm talking about. (Unless they mistake me saying John Mayall for John Mayer and then I have to correct them). It's probably not worth getting upset about.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I can't stand classic rock. I see what they are trying to do though. They want to be heavy and light at the same time. While I can respect that, it's not really a sound I like.

Music is whatever you like, anyone that says band a is better than band b doesn't know what they are talking about.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Music is whatever you like, anyone that says band a is better than band b doesn't know what they are talking about.

Yes, that is why ABBA will forever be as great as the Beatles in all measurable and immeasurable categories.

Hey Honolulu, we're going to happy Hawaii
Alice has been there, she said it was fun
Swimming and surfing, enjoying the sun
Hey Honolulu, we're going to happy Hawaii

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I lived through that era. Many of his comments come from sheer ignorance, had he been around then, he would see it differently.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Flip through any of the popular music magazines out today and take a peek at who contemporary artists say their influences were. You can say that you don't like 80s rock (that's your opinion and you're more than entitled to it), but you can't deny that a lot of people making music out there right now haven't listened to and weren't influenced by the stuff that came out in the 80s. Plus, some of those bands created sounds/styles that had never been heard before, and people enjoyed it then and still do now because of the way its distinctive sounds - if that's not innovation, I'm not sure what is.

But in the end, if someone is that opinionated and set in their ways, then it's probably not worth arguing about. Just agree to disagree; no use losing a friendship over it though. Besides, if you can gain from his music tastes but he can't benefit from yours, then that's his loss, not yours :)

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I lived through that era. Many of his comments come from sheer ignorance, had he been around then, he would see it differently.

Amen to that.
Yes, that is why ABBA will forever be as great as the Beatles in all measurable and immeasurable categories.

And Bad Manners will forever be as great as Jimmy Page.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

i posted this at another forum but i will post it here too.

i have a friend that just keeps bickering about how he hates classic rock music, and how the only reason it was popular was because a bunch of drunks and hippies kept buying the albums.

how the production sucked, and how they had a bunch of really crap producers back then.

how bands back then were not influencial at all, a lot of the singers sucked, and the bands weren't innovative with anything.

how they had no talent, and how he thinks jimi hendrix wasn't that good at guitar.

how the bands of the 50's funk bands had much more talent then hendrix, page, etc

i just tell him that without these people he wouldn't have the music he listens to now (which is new indy stuff) but he refuses to believe it.

i try to tell him he woudlnt have many if any of the guitar effects that he has today. he chooses not to believe that.

he says for someone like stevie ray vaughan, he can agree with why he's good and influencial. but i tell him that stevie ray vaughan wouldn't be who he is, without albert king, hendrix, etc.

i say, without hendrix many people wouldn't be playing the guitar the way they do now. but he says no one plays like hendrix today, that hendrix had out of tune bends, played random notes, changed keys 50 times during songs, and was one of the worst singers of all time just like a lot of classic rock singers.

i mention jack bruce, he says he's never heard of him.

i don't think this person's gonna be a friend very soon.

what would you say to this?

i mean i have no problem with him saying he doesn't like it, but to spew this kind of bull, something just needs to be said.

And emo music wouldn't be very populer if a bunch of emo kids didn't keep buying those albums, and hip hop wouldn't be populer if hipsters didn't like that music, and, well.....duh!

Besides, so many metal bands, who are hailed as the pioneers in music for our generation, are still getting most of their influence and style from previous genres such folk and celtic music, classical music, rap, hard rock and so forth. So if being original is taking something old and making it into something new, Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc would all fit into that catagory, wouldn't they?

Yeah, I can't say either that Plant was all that hot a singer...frankly, I think Hendrix had a cooler vibe to his voice then Plant did. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

All a matter of personal taste then, by the sound of it.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I would love to see the new school producers and engineers do something like "Sargent Pepper" with just a couple of 4 track tape machines, bouncing tracks together and splicing the tape to edit sounds together.No digital editing!! .@#%&*@! crap producers indeed :!: :evil:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Agreed, people born decades later always fail to realise the impact of music in it's own "time context". saying that this band or that band was "trying" to sound like this or that is ridiculus imo.
At the time of release in the music environment of it's day it sounded exactly as the artists/producers/mixers intended it to.

The genres or music styles that come after owe their exsistance to those that came before. It always has been and always will be this way.

Smokindog~ "I would love to see the new school producers and engineers do something like "Sargent Pepper" with just a couple of 4 track tape machines, bouncing tracks together and splicing the tape to edit sounds together.No digital editing!! .@#%&*@! crap producers indeed"

well said. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 8