Skip to content
bands of the 60's a...

Notifications
Clear all

bands of the 60's and 70's really innovative?

108 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
16.2 K Views
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Twisted Lefty said:

Agreed, people born decades later always fail to realize the impact of music in it's own "time context". saying that this band or that band was "trying" to sound like this or that is ridiculus imo.
At the time of release in the music environment of it's day it sounded exactly as the artists/producers/mixers intended it to.

The genres or music styles that come after owe their existence to those that came before. It always has been and always will be this way.

When I was 13 I didn't like what my grandparents and mom and dad listened to, but now I think Glenn miller and Frank Sinatra are very cool 8)
I think todays kids listen allot more to music from 30-40 years ago than we did back then :D We old farts even Liston to some new stuff now and then, I really like John Vanderslice for instance.--ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

You're not going to be able to change his mind. He sounds very close minded.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

What a fool this guy is.

The 60s and 70s were the two most important decades for music in the 20th century. So many genres of music were "created" during this era. If so ome of these artists never did what they did, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Hendrix, I'll focus on him, since he's my man. His guitar playing lives in most guitar players nowadays. Without Jimi Hendrix, and guys like Eric Clapton and Chuck Berry, we wouldn't be where we are now with music.

The sad thing is, despite the influence of these bands, current artists are taking it and using it in the wrong way. Music nowadays sucks. It's too "loud."

I really don't mind rap, but it's going down the same path as rock is. Rap sucks now, unlike it did in the 80s/90s, rock sucks now, it really does. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. If people weren't so stubborn, and they went back and actually listened to the music of the 60s/70s or 80s, they'd find something they love. I guarentee it.

You like emo music? Well hey, listen to some Velvet Underground. They have some awfully depressing sounding songs, but it's not as "loud" as music is now.

I don't know how to describe the word "loud." There's just too much going on it seems, there isn't as much meaning. Lyrics aren't as great anymore. Maybe it's because not as many people do LSD, or something like that. But you can still write beautiful poems, slap it over music, and make good music. I don't see that anymore. The RHCP may have some good sounding music, but the lyrics really, really suck.

Some people might love the RHCP and John Fruciestas (spelling is off) guitar solos. Well go listen to some Yardbirds, Cream or Hendrix. You'll find better music there.

60s/70s>>>>>All other eras in the music world during the 20th century.

I don't think we'll see another Hendrix, Dylan or Cash ever again. I honestly don't. Music is too mainstream now, most artists are just trying to make money and create "radio music." And the bands that ARE trying to do something new, original that is good, don't get discovered because they aren't mainstream.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I really don't mind rap, but it's going down the same path as rock is. Rap sucks now, unlike it did in the 80s/90s, rock sucks now, it really does. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. If people weren't so stubborn, and they went back and actually listened to the music of the 60s/70s or 80s, they'd find something they love. I guarentee it.

What's frustrating about not liking classic rock is you get this attitude that everyone who does like it has better taste than you. No one has to like any type of music. Regardless of how innovative you think it is or how much you like it. If you have an issue with someone not liking it well that's too bad.

On my way home from work, which is normally 1am, they play classic albums live. On it, they've done Hendrix for about 45 minutes. It probably went on longer but I got home. I didn't like it. Really, why would I listen to music I don't like because they are innovative?

My favourite music has always been the 1990's Seattle Grunge rock. I don't really care if it's simplistic or they don't do whatever Hendrix is famous for. I like it, so I'm going to listen to it.

I'd really like to get the same respect back. I don't go around telling Jimmy Page fans to expand their minds and study Kurt Cobain. So give those that don't have the same tastes as you the same respect.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Without the music of the sixties and seventies, we'd all be loosing to do-op or something like that. Beethoven the VIII would be my next door neighbor. Without the music of the sixties and seventies, the leaders of anti-war where would we be now? Where would our music be now? Every band today is influenced in some major way, by the music of the sixties and seventies.
Emo, Punk, you name it, they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the sixties and seventies. Flanger, maybe even fuzz, wouldn't exist.

Your friend is closed minded, and he will probably never understand. If I were you I wouldn't discuss this subject with him.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I'm almost 50 and I really liked Nirvana(still do) . I hated "Hair metal" of the 80's :evil: I find some classic rock that I liked in the 70's kind of boring now, Some of Bostons stuff I don't like as much as I used to. I try not to be my grandfather ...you know the type..."YOU CALL THAT MUSIC" :cry: . The truth is that great music is still being made by folks of all ages and in many styles. The 60's and 70's don't have a monopoly on good music :wink:

My Youtube Page

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

But to say that the 60's and 70's were basically useless and uninnovative...

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

As much as I like 60s and 70s music, I do think it gets over hyped and over glorified with this "if it wasn't for so and so, such and such wouldn't exist" stuff. Had Jeff Beck and Hendrix not experimented and used feedback and effects so extensively in their music, someone would have eventually. It's like saying if it wasn't for Thomas Edison we'd still be reading by candlelight.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Well think of the movie Butterfly Effect (Yes I am going somewhere with this). The actual theory states that:
"A butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that ultimately cause a tornado to appear (but not prevent a tornado from appearing). The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale phenomena. Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different."

I'm not saying that you should worship Jimi and Slash, but without them and others things would be a lot different.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'll admit there is one artist from the 70's I like. Innovative, catchy guitar riffs, hooky melodies and a unique voice that I know exactly who it is even if I've never heard the song before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM0e1m9T9HQ

I'm not being cheeky, I really love this song.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I'm almost 50 and I really liked Nirvana(still do) . I hated "Hair metal" of the 80's :evil:
I've got Nirvana's Unplugged on my iPod now. That album made me go get The Meat Puppets' original stuff, too, which I like better than the Unplugged version of their songs. But I came onto that stuff relatively recently, not while it was current. As for the '80s, just about everything they played on the radio back then sucked, and I thought music had died.

I hear a lot of Van Halen played on the "classic rock" stations, and I dislike a lot of that. Especially that accursed shrill squeal that I think Eddie made on his guitar while their singer was emitting a shriek. Over and over and over. Like nails on a chalkboard. I thought Van Halen was a silly pop trash band in the '80s, and don't think much better of them today.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

just play really cool music whenever you're around him.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Ric....I can really do without DLR :twisted: I did like VH much better with Sammy 8)

OWA...David Bowie did some great stuff, thanks for the video :D

My Youtube Page

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

I hear a lot of Van Halen played on the "classic rock" stations, and I dislike a lot of that. Especially that accursed shrill squeal that I think Eddie made on his guitar while their singer was emitting a shriek. Over and over and over. Like nails on a chalkboard. I thought Van Halen was a silly pop trash band in the '80s, and don't think much better of them today.

Woah, Woah, Woah!!!!!!!!!!! Hold up, I love Van Halen. Have you ever heard the song Eruption. I don't think there is a man alive on earth that can tap as good as Eddie. (Don't worry I am ready to be proved wrong at any moment).

Really though, what is the point of arguing about music, no one will ever agree because the musical world is so diverse. And anyways I can't bash you heads in when you guys diss my bands :twisted:. I say we all chill and get a nice cold Guiness.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm with OWA and the Dog, there's good music in every generation, the 60's and 70's don't have a lock on it nor does any other era. And for some reason there is this musical snobbery if you don't like x music you must be an idiot or something.

I grew up in the classic rock era and I don't like a lot of it. I also never cared much for Hair metal of the 80's but I do enjoy some Seattle Grunge, always loved Bowie. I like some rap, some hip hop some country, can't say I like much jazz but then again I haven't been exposed to much.

Of course people will say they were influenced by this person or that person who came before them...Duh..I don't think they'd be influenced by someone who hasn't been born yet.

Music is art and everyone interprets it differently. It's like saying Picasso was a better painter than Monet..it's all subjective.

If the Beatles weren't around someone else would have done what they do, same with Hendrix, Page or anyone else.

Alot of times in science you will see people indepentantly coming up with the same revelation/invention. So one didn't influence the other. It's the same with music we'd still have music if there were no Beatles or Hendrix or Page etc, someone else would have figured it out too.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 8