Skip to content
bands of the 60's a...

Notifications
Clear all

bands of the 60's and 70's really innovative?

108 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
16.2 K Views
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

I can't reason this out for you to understand what I'm trying to say, cos you start talking about Barry Bonds and it has nothing to do with music, what I'm trying to say is up until that point nobody really had done that stuff, and certainly not one person doing all those things, in my book people who revolutionize the guitar, or impact guitar playing to the point that you influence future generations should get a bit more respect than saying "someone else would've done it if you hadn't".

Can you name this imaginary person...I've never heard of him, I'd love to hear his stuff......oh, he's prob sitting home on his couch saying: "That guy isn't so good, if I felt like it I could do better..."

It's easy to say such things, until you name names, I'll continue to give credit to the ones who actually DID it :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Scott,

I don't want to argue cuz I really don't care but (I also have lost track of what the heck the argument was about), I don't think I disrespected anyone.

I don't know what I think at the moment but Sleutelbos summed it up nicely in his last post. There's good and bad in every decade, none were anymore special than the others, the Beatles are influential if you like them if you don't then they wouldn't have influenced you or anyone else.

Like I said before I'm not in awe of anything they did, becasue, their music didn't do alot for me. I'm I wrong for having that opinion? But my OPINION means nothing to anyone but me.

You can't glorify the 60/70's anymore than you can knock it. It is what it is two decades in time like all the rest and that's it.

Your putting a value on their influence most likely because you like the music. I don't have the same opinion about it's value thus I think it is less influential. Is that disrespecting the Beatles? Or Hendrix?

Anyway have a great Holiday!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

there's good music in every generation, the 60's and 70's don't have a lock on it nor does any other era.

That's the best point made in this thread.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

I don't want to try to explain this anymore, the delta bluesmen influenced the guys from the 50's Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly, ect..., the guys from the 50's influenced the guy's from the 60's, Clapton, Page, Beck, Richards, Hendrix ect..., the guy's from the 60's influenced the guys from the 70's, May, Nugent, Perry ect..., the guys from the 70's influienced the guys from the 80's, Van Halen, Angus ect...

These guy's all devoloped most of the electric guitar techiques that are still used today, who in the last 10 years have came up with a new technique that one of these guy's did'nt help pioneer, they my not have invented it but they sure brought it to the mainstream.

Kinda the golden age of electric guitarists, they were the first ones to get ahold of the solid body electric guitar, it didn't exist before then, since the 90's or so most of the innovations have come on the amp, effects side, those guys couldn't go down to the local GC and pick up a new pedal when ever the felt like it, they plugged in to a Vox, or a Fender or Marshall amp an maybe a Wah or Fuzzbox but mostly just straight into thier amp, and did thier thing.

These guy's sold and still sell millions of records, they have influenced millions of people and I would say a large amount of guitarists, to discount that influence is actually absurd in my opinion, and quite a few others.

Just because you like someone doesn't mean they are influential, just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they aren't.

BTW I'm not a big Hendrix fan, and I like the Stones better than the Beatles, but that doesn't mean they didn't impact millions of people.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I agree that no one decade is more influential than any other when talking about music.

But I do feel like the electric guitar was most important in the 60s and 70s, probably because it was new then. Nowadays, the guitar has much less importance in music. Turn on the radio and listen to any pop or rock song (don't tune in to your local classic rock station though, that's cheating): are there any guitar solos?

Funny anecdote: I was watching Much Music (Canadian music tv channel) a couple of years ago and for the first time I saw a video for a song I really really liked. The song, it seems, was too long to get played on the channel, and so they had to shorten it. So what got cut off? The guitar solo part. That was a sad day for me.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My beef isn't that they aren't influential. It's that because they are influential I HAVE to like them and if I don't, there is something wrong with me. Even have people message me out of the blue and say "I'm sending you a song you're gonna love. It's way better than Kittie!" 10 minutes later he messages me again asking if I was listening to it. I say "No, I'm listening to Kittie."

That's my issue. I know they are influential, but I don't have to like them. Sometimes people sound nothing like their influences anyway. Wayne Static from Static-X main influence was Kiss and he says he based his guitar tone on Alex Lifeson's tone. If you've ever heard Static-X, Kiss and Rush don't really come to mind.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

I agree with you OWA, people like what they like, it has nothing to do with being influential, that is a seperate issue, kinda like me I'm a classic rock fan and I play guitar, when I say I don't really like Hendrix it suprises people. I like some of his songs though, Little Wing is one of my favs, but I heard SRV's version first and thats the one I like :)

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

My beef isn't that they aren't influential. It's that because they are influential I HAVE to like them and if I don't, there is something wrong with me. Even have people message me out of the blue and say "I'm sending you a song you're gonna love. It's way better than Kittie!" 10 minutes later he messages me again asking if I was listening to it. I say "No, I'm listening to Kittie."

That's my issue. I know they are influential, but I don't have to like them. Sometimes people sound nothing like their influences anyway. Wayne Static from Static-X main influence was Kiss and he says he based his guitar tone on Alex Lifeson's tone. If you've ever heard Static-X, Kiss and Rush don't really come to mind.

I don't see how or why you feel this way, you don't have to like anything as far as i'm concerned.
Heck i seem to remember you quite frequently espousing how you don't like this or that and stating that your (narrow imo) range of taste is such and such and that's really fine with me.

I don't judge people by what they like or dislike because i'd hate to have them judge me., but if they do it really does not affect me in any way because i'm comfortable with my tastes and could care less.

As far as this or that artist being influenced by so and so, but you're not "hearing" the similarity, maybe the influence is on another level that you aren't grasping yet. Or maybe the artist claiming this "influence" is "full of it" and is just spouting off some BS.
I think it's been established pretty clearly that prior artists have and continue to influence new artists and it will always be that way.
One of your Favs (Cobain) was greatly influenced by artists you probably don't care for but look what it evolved into .

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's another I just don't like to hear. Rush has some great music, but that guy's voice just grates on my ears. My kid's a huge Rush fan.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Now here's something everyone will like, regardless if you like modern or classic rock. Alter Bridge covering Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgpx_b8-N4M

Edit: Noticed on another thread that Kashmir is a big Zeppelin song so enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNnBisii1M

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I know absolutely NOTHING (yet - there's always Wiki!) about Alter Bridge....but those are two good covers, I could listen to them both more than once.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Alter Bridge formed after Creed broke up. It's the drummer, bassist, guitarist of Creed with a new singer.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The guitarist playing the PRS Tremonti Singlecut must be ... Mark Tremonti, maybe?

For me, the drummer is standout -- esp on Rock and Roll.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Wow, I loved Kashmir 8) 8) 8)
Check out "Highway Star while your at it :twisted:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Creed/Alter Bridge is a damn good modern band.

And "ilikeguitar", MCR isn't really that good. They aren't as BAD as some people make them out to be. But they are still really bad. And are very popular, which is why I said they are a reason for bad music nowadays.

Fall Out Boy is too. Wow, they suck.

And you're right, whoever said this, that 50s guys were influenced by 60s guys, 70s by 60s, etc. But if we look at all of these decades and we say what was MOST influential, the 60s was probably the most influential of all. There was just so much talent then, so much great music. Sure, there was bad music too, there will be forever some "bad" music. But that era was filled with greatness.

Not even just the individual artist. Think about the atmosphere and how influential that is too. Woodstock is a prime example. Three days of peace. Influence on MUSIC. Woodstock was huge for the music world.

You think "Live 8" will always be remembered? Nah. But Woodstock will.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 8