Battle of the Virtual GN Bands

114 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
25.7 K Views
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm not sure how many people visit the Hear Here forum, so I'm listing this topic in Opinions assuming more people visit this more often. Did a search and did not see any topics about this so I'm fairly confident that this could be the first here at GN.

Here's the idea. Thought it would be cool to have a battle of virtual bands made up exclusively of GN members. Here's how I see this working. Your comments and suggestions will only improve upon it I'm sure.

Logistics
Bands can have as many members as they see fit. Bands must choose an original name. Bands will be placed in one of the following categories:

- Beginners
- Beginning Intermediates
- Advanced
- Nick and above

Bands can do cover songs but originals are highly suggested. If there is a point system in place for judging, originals should receive bonus points. We could sub-divide into two categories 1) original and 2) covers if needed.

You can only belong to one group.
Bands can “enlist” someone as a producer. Producers can be a band member (I have dibbs on Arjen!!!) :P

We could open the judging to the entire GN community by creating a poll or recruit several people as judges. Judges could use an agreed upon point system that would be published.

Vic Lewis can only be in a band that has a member with a name that has the following components. (Blue and Line.) 8)

Wuddaya think???

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Sounds like a really fun idea! I was going to make a suggestion of a guitarnoise cover band, that instead of doing jams, could do covers of some classics, but I think I like your idea better! Sign me up 8)

-jon

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Good idea and I want to participate. Unfortunately, now I have to figure out how to record on my PC (tried it a few times, but never really got it sorted out).

Blueline - I am a NJ native (born in Bayonne & grew up in Woodbridge) ---> so, can I join your group? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Good idea and I want to participate. Unfortunately, now I have to figure out how to record on my PC (tried it a few times, but never really got it sorted out).

Blueline - I am a NJ native (born in Bayonne & grew up in Woodbridge) ---> so, can I join your group? :wink:

You bet!!! :D :D :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I foresee the "Jersey Juke & Jive Jumpers" in our future! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

LOL...I'll have to learn how to swing dance!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of "Recreational Chemistry". Seems to be a fitting name for a virtual band.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

HHHHMMMM, maybe I can talk Vic and Roy into kicking in on a Stones cover, We could call ourselves the "Stumbling Rocks"

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds like fun. Anybody want a bad guitar player that cant sing a lick in their band?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

That is a cool Ideal. Would solo artist be included in this as well? Or maybe have a seperate section for soloist!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

lol, thanks for the compliment but I am a rank intermediate.

I'd be interested in trying it.

How about this idea though, everyone signs up and all teams get a mix of members from beginner to advanced. That way you can share knowledge. I wonder if we could do this live at some point?

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

How about this idea though, everyone signs up and all teams get a mix of members from beginner to advanced. That way you can share knowledge. I wonder if we could do this live at some point?
I'm not opposed to mixing the members at different skill levels. Sounds like a good idea. This assumes though, that we have a perfect balance. The thinking behind the levels was to ensure that each band got a fair shake. To me, makes no difference as along as its fun ! B TW...Doing this live , I think, would be the coolest thing since sliced bread!!
That is a cool Ideal. Would solo artist be included in this as well? Or maybe have a seperate section for soloist! Cool idea. Never thought about solo. I thnik that the whole "Band" thing brings a little more towards working with other GN members and allows us to create some frienships along the way. Also gives a taste of the dynamics in being in a band. (making decisions..etc). I think we'd have to see how many solo artists would like to join. But then, doesn't that become a song writing contest???
Anybody interested in an Acoustic Rock virtual band within the Intermediate category who call themselves "The Invisible Mumps" let me know. No covers.
I think having an acoustic category is really cool. I prefer play on my acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I think a live meet up would be wonderful. that Atlantic ocean is pretty wide tho.
I am up for anything in a band. I could be acoustic or electric.
I would love to bring my slide playing (lap steel) into a virtual band.
so pick me. pick me.

this is such a cool idea.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds neat. I'm an intermediatte beginner on rhythm and stinkonice for anything else.

Yeah man, I'd love to do a stones number with you guys. We could have the Stones cover group and another group for people without proper musical tastes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sounds neat. I'm an intermediatte beginner on rhythm and stinkonice for anything else.

Yeah man, I'd love to do a stones number with you guys. We could have the Stones cover group and another group for people without proper musical tastes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And those of us without taste will arm up with granny panties to throw on stage at you. :lol:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 8