Clear all

Beer Can Guitar

29 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, here in New York, we recycle. 5 cents for each beverage can. Well, we drink a lot of beverages ... ummm soda too! :P Well, I tend to get lazy. I hadn't taken them to the redemption center since last summer. I decided I'm gonna finance a Rondo strat. Candy apple red with a maple board. It was my incentive to return the cans. Well, got enough for the guitar, gets here tomorrow, and had enough extra I'm putting in a Guitar Fetish order for a Lil Killer humbucker, an upgrade trem with solid steel block and a total electronics upgrade kit. Pots, caps and switch. All with cans! 8) I'll keep you all posted, but I already got an SX strat and it is decent. 3 piece body and grover tuners, jumbo frets with good action. Oh, why not upgrade that? Well, it aint candy apple red of course! Thats why I thought, hey, with a few upgrades this can be a good instrument. I will keep you guys posted. Any thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

it ain't easy being green eh?
good 4 u

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Tr,

I do love a good story with happy ending. :mrgreen:

It even looks like it's got a bottle opener on it too....

...oh, wait... it's a guard for the jack plug socket...

Have fun playing it, and enjoy contributing to the pile for the next one.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Great idea!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for keeping it green, er, red Tr! :D BTW, I think that's Torino Red, my favorite. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

8) .... though I was really expecting something completely different given the title of the post.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

. . . . me too.

Something like this:

Beer Can Guitar

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, the guitar came today ............... It is perfect! Even the strings are good. It must be they haven't been on there too long. I mean, Rondo advertised D'Addario strings (kind I use) but usually by the time I get the guitar they are kind of lifeless due to old age. Too bad they have to go to put the new trem in on Tuesday. :? I lowered the action and there aint even a hint of a buzz. Ready for this ... duel action truss rod. The finish is flawless. I can't find a drip, run, smudge .... nothing. The neck is antiqued. it is a vintage model after all. :lol: Has a very yellowed color. The finish is a metal flake. Oh, Dan, BTW, it is Rondo that called it candy apple red. Personally I don't care. :lol: Well, at least I think thats what CAR stands for? Neck pocket is tight. Very tight. Frets are jumbo. The only dissapointment is the knobs and pickups are creme. I think it is to make it look old. The pic on the website showed white so I ordered a white humbucker. Not to fear, my other SX has white and that pick guard is tortise shell so a swap is at hand. I think the creme will look better on the guitar with the tortise shell anyhow. If the pickup covers come off, I'll just switch that. If not, I'll swap pickups. Who ever thought to have creme on white? The knobs and pickups aged but the pick guard didn't? Oh well, it will be all white when I'm done. I will say this, if all of them are like this one, you can not buy a better guitar for $99. PERIOD!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's cool, TR!

White plastic can often be stained to a cream color by soaking in strong black coffee, or tobacco juice. (Think of a plug of Red Man.) If the covers don't come off I wouldn't recommend that approach, but I might put the thing in a rigged up box and blow tobacco smoke in on it. That's the main thing that "naturally" stains white guitar parts cream anyway, playing in smoky environments.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I've got enough experience to know that if the covers come off, they will fall off when I take the pickup off. I don't plan to force anything. The guitars are virtually identical except for body wood, finish and fingerboard material. The knobs all have to be pulled off to change out the pots and switch and I'm putting a Strat sized dual rail humbucker in the bridge position. It won't be much to swap the middle and neck pickups on the 2 guitars since I'm replacing everything else anyways. I want the new one to have all white (The pickup I got coming is a white one cause the guitar was supposed to have white, not creme parts) My natural finish ash guitar (old one) has a tortis shell pickguard. The parts on it are white and I think it will look nice with the creme. The swap will benifit both guitars. I'm all set.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new guitar, TR! That's a cool color. How were those pick-ups anyhow? I notice in the description that they used the word "powerful".

I've got a cheapo guitar that I fitted the Guitar Fetish P-90s on to. Saweet! It went from a guitar I never used to a nice sounding, ugly pile of junk. BUT, it places and sounds nice. One of those Floyd Rose brand guitars that was on Stupid Deal Of The Day a couple years back. $99. Fun to play around with things like that.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, they aint powerful. :lol: It's a vintage series model. Gonna swap the neck and middle with the SX I already have, same pickups but white instead of cream. I have a Little Killer coming from Guitar Fetish. It's a Duncan HotRails clone. This is perfect for me. The middle and neck, crystal clear oh so Fender from the middle and neck and a hot lil humbucker out of the bridge for my distorted tone. I have my MIM Strat set up this way. I can absolutely not get a good distorted sound from a single coil Strat type pickup. P90, thats another story. I will say, those single coils sound just like the ones on my MIM Strat. The neck is perfect! I said that didn't I. :lol: Finish, perfect! I sent Kurt an E-Mail telling him how pleased I was. Sent it Friday night. Bright and early Saturday morning I had a response thanking me. Seriously, Rondo is the schiznit! You might need to set them up, but they are quality for a fraction of the price. Well, off the soap box. I'm not an employee. :lol: I did however just score a $99 strat clone that rivals my 1992 MIM Strat that I paid $399 for.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I got a lil killer from them (GF) for the neck position on my MIM Tele. (the 5-stringer, keefocaster) Man, I love it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I got all the parts, installed them last Tuesday. Came off without a hitch. My old SX guitar had Grover tuners, I decided they were superior so I put them on the new red guitar. Basically I rebuilt the guitar and it plays like a dream. Here is an itimized list of what I did.

Grover tuners = free (from other SX)
Trem with steel block and upgraded saddles = $35.00
Lil Killer humbucker for bridge = $25.00
Neck and Midle pickup (white from other SX) = free
Upgrade volume + tone pots, cap and jack = $15.00
SX Strat knockoff (solid alder with maple neck) = $100.00

Total cost = $175.00 ($200.00 with shipping) totally financed with empty beer cans and one of the best sounding / playing guitars I own

* All removed new SX parts placed on old SX so it is still an intact guitar.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2