Before the Music Di...

Notifications
Clear all

Before the Music Dies

Page 1 / 2

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

http://www.hulu.com/watch/62945/before-the-music-dies?c=News-and-Information#s-p8-sa-i2

I found this on Hulu. Very good documentary about the state of the music biz. Well worth the time 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Unfortunately it is only available from the United States :(

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Interesting video, thanks for posting this.

I'm not sure that what is going on in the music business and that is reported in this documentary is unique to that industry. It's the result of corporatism - corporations who have become persons using their vast wealth to buy politicians, control governments, and push the needs of actual people aside. It's happening/happened to the restaurant/food industry, retailing, banking, insurance, etc.

Relevant to this documentary and this board, they have pushed legislation that allows them take over entire industries (e.g. Clear Channel), push the expiry date on copyright continually further out (Steam Boat Willie will never be allowed to fall into the public domain), and legislate away fair use rights (DMCA forbidding the removal of encryption even if doing so is necessary to exercise fair use). Corporations have become too intertwined in government and too large to fail (e.g. the banking industry).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The whole thing is available streaming via Google Video.

I'm not sure if it's restricted to certain countries, but at the moment it is watchable in Canada.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It is available from here, thank you Kent! :D

I'll watch it this weekend.

A question. Billy Preston that appears at the beginning with Ray Charles is the same that play keyboards with Eric Clapton in some of his latest concerts? (I don't remember exactly but I think he plays in the Robert Johnson album.)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

A question. Billy Preston that appears at the beginning with Ray Charles is the same that play keyboards with Eric Clapton in some of his latest concerts? (I don't remember exactly but I think he plays in the Robert Johnson album.)
Same one. He also played with the Beatles a lot and played at the Concert for Bangladesh and the Concert for George. Both of those concerts are available on DVD and both are amazing.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks! And thanks for the advices on the DVD. I had many times the Concert for George DVD in my hand but I didn't buy. I will put both in my wish list!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Also the same Billy Preston who died recently.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yes, I knew he died. I think there is an obituary note in a DVD. I should review it.

Clapton always plays with great musicians but Billy Preston seemed specially a good player and with a lot of charisma. When I "discovered" him I was reading about him but I didn't know that he also sung. When I saw him in the documentary, I wanted to recognized his face but he was 30 or 40 years younger!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have "will it go round in circles" on a 45, which i believe was his first #1 hit,
does anyone remember what was on the flip side?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Reputable Member

Working in customer service, I get a lot of people telling me what they think is right or what is best. I should do this to fix the consumers problem, I should do this to show I appreciate their loyalty. It's the same thing for the music business. They should take chances on different types of music. There's one problem will all of these views, the businesses want to make money through these things. If showing my appreciation or in this case, doing different music doesn't make money, businesses won't do it.

It's too easy to blame the big businesses though. They only produces what sells or play to the audience. They don't take chances on different stuff because we as consumers don't want different stuff. Different usually sounds weird. Which may sell to a small group of people but not a large group. Most people have an idea of what music should sound like and don't really stray from that. Take gothic metal where the vocals are mostly unintelligibe. It's definitely different but doesn't follow the definition of music that 95% of us have in our brains so we usually won't explore the genre or like minded genres. Another example would be saying the guitar solo has died when there is no rule that a song has to have a guitar solo.

I'm not suggesting to go out and listen to the most messed up music you can listen to but treat it as if you were an interviewer at an job interview. You want the individual to fit within your criteria but something has to scream out "hire this person over everyone else because............." Same thing with music. It makes the progression of music more subtle and easier.

*I plead guilty to the crimes above. No need to post that I do the same things I mentioned.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

i have "will it go round in circles" on a 45, which i believe was his first #1 hit,

I'm guessing Nothing + Nothing Means Nothing (or words to that effect). :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm guessing Nothing + Nothing Means Nothing (or words to that effect). :)
' Blackbird'

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

' Blackbird'
winner!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2