Clear all

Beggining and looking for gear advice

25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@blankrune)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

I've been seriously considering learning guitar for a while now, and I've decided to take the jump and buy my first guitar. I've been doing a lot of researching and it seems like the Squier Stratocaster seems to be a decent starter...but it seems like there's so many different versions and I have no idea what the differences between them are (Standard, SE series, Bullet, Affinity, etc), so I'm pretty much at a loss as to which kind I should be looking at. I'm looking to play mostly rock (check out http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01522/ for a download of the song that I'd eventually like to emulate years down the road)...thats the kind of stuff I'm interested in.

Also, I have a fairly limited amount of room to practice in (in which I share with a wife and 8 month old), so I'm wondering if there are any sorts of headphones that I can buy to plug into an amplifier, or headphones that act as an amplifier or whatever. Otherwise I'm sure my wife will kill me someday.

Thanks for the advice.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi BlankRune and welcome to Guitar Noise. :D

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a Squier guitar. I own several myself, and for the price they are very nice guitars with suprisingly good quality. I would go with the Standard series, they are a grade above the Affinity series.

You will also need an amp, you might start out with something like this small Line 6:

Line 6 Spider III

This is a modeling amp, so you will get lots of tones, including the type on that recording you posted. It has a built in headphone jack so you can practice without bothering your family or neighbors.

This will get you going and you will actually get pretty great tones. As you progress, you will buy more gear (trust me, we all do)

And when you get your guitar, go to the beginners lessons found on the Home Page. That will get you off to a fast start.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!
good advice to be sure.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Heya BlankRune, nice name :D

That amp will give you lots of options, great suggestion (as always) from Wes.

I picked up one of these (see link below) a while ago, since my amp doesn't have many options. This little gadget is really nifty, has so many sound options you can fiddle with, which is good and bad at the same time :mrgreen:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-RP150-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=156606

Good luck with it, and don't feel bashful about asking any questions you might have, folks around here are friendly and always eager to help out!

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

BRune,

Welcome to GN!! +1 on all the advice so far.

I too started playing 'later' in life and I'm glad I did too. Learning Guitar has been a very rewarding 'hobby' both because I amaze myself some days while others I laugh just laugh at myself cuz I sound like a dying cat. :)

Nature of the beast I guess.

I'll echo what has been said.. don't by shy around here. These folks are the nicest, knowledgeable and helpful folks. This is truly an amazing place we have here at GN.

Again, welcome to GN.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@blankrune)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice everyone (and Rune, I was thinkin' the same thing :D)

I've been reading this site and these forums for about a week now...I guess my next step is just going to the store. I appreciate the help.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi BlankRune. Welcome to GN. I hope you enjoy your journey. Stick with it.

The item in Rune's link has another benefit. You can run headphone directly out of that instead of having to have an amp. There's another one similar that some people like. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VAMP-2-Amp-Modeler?sku=480674

One other thing. Not trying to get too personal, but do you have fat fingers? If so, you might want to consider a guitar with a wider neck. Plenty out there. It's just some newbies, including myself a few years back, struggled with nailing chords on Strat because the neck is slightly tighter.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The standard is the way to go ....... Bullet and affinity have a thinner body ....... the Standard is the Squire that is closest to the real thing. Don't think you can go wrong with one.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member

hey b rune, welcome to the best guitar learning site on the web.
Do not be afraid to ask any questions I guarantee some one will be able to answer (trust me), and everybody is very nice and willing to help a newbie.
I just wanted to chime in with a +1 on the line 6 spider III. I just bought a MIM Fender Standard Strat and the 30 watt version and I absolutely love it, :D you can get all kinds of cool tones out of it, and it's programmable. Got the whole package for $675. I'm new to guitar and only play as a hobby, I have no intention of becoming a rock star, which is why I went with a modeling amp. If you're in the same mindset then that would be a good one for you in fact so would the guitar. Make sure you check out the lessons David does a real good job at explaining everything, and if there is a song you want to learn, ask David to do a lesson on it. If you ask nicely he might do it. It worked for me. Went on a little longer than I intended sorry. Have fun, and ROCK ON!!!

Where am I going....and why am I in this hand basket?

ReplyQuote
(@blankrune)
Topic starter  

I appreciate all the comments.

Let me try and get a few things straight. There is the amp (Line 6 Spider III), which I can plug pretty much whatever into, and then there is an amp simulator (that was linked before) that is used more for recording / computer playback / etc, right? Is there any difference in sound or quality (assuming you had equal systems) or is it basically just about preference? I'd probably rather go with the Amp itself so that I'd be able to play without headphones if I ever wanted to. Also, would any old headphones do (say, ones I could get from Best Buy) or are there specific headphones made for use with amps? I just dont want to get consumer-grade listening headphones and be stinking myself out because they dont sound proper.

And about the Squier strat, I've been looking at some different sources and it seems they go for about 350 dollars (I havent been able to visit my local stores yet cause they're all closed on the weekend...), and coupled with all the other gear I need I'm not sure it'll fit my budget. I plan to get the guitar, amp, possibly a stand (so I'm tempted to play it more) and the smaller stuff like picks/extra strings/guitar strap....and headphones which I'm expecting to be between 50-100 dollars. If I decide to downgrade the guitar, is the Affinity reasonable, or should I just sacrfice a little and get the Standard strat? And of course it all depends on which feels better once I actually pick them up.

As far as lessons go, I've been reading a lot here and plan to continue. As for reading basic sheet music....yeah, I'll probably just wind up getting a book or dvd or something cause that's way out for me. Reading it here is good and all, but without hearing the notes and everything that are being explained it's pretty tough for me since I have no musical background at all.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

BR,

Uh...yes yes and no.

A Standard Squier Strat runs about $199 - Pick a color :)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510422

One of the Spider III's runs about the same:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-30-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482275

Other amp options under $200... There's so many to list.

The amp is part of the total package, and traditionally each amp (Brand/Type) was known to have their own distinct sound/tone.

Fender Amps -vs- Marshall -vs- Vox etc.

They all sound different to the discerning listener. These amps were, at one time, purely Tube Amps, using different types of tubes and different circuitry configuration made them unique in their own rights, not to mention speaker type, design etc.

OLD SCHOOL.

NEW SCHOOL.

Modelling Amps. These amps are solid-state (All circuits, no tubes or a hybrid Tube and SState).
These newer generation of amp design allows a player to model or mimic all of the mentioned amps listed above and even more. They also integrate with some on-board effects like delay, phaser, tremolo etc.

My suggestion for any beginner would be to get into a modelling amp. Again you have many choices. Vox Valvetronics, Roland Cubes, Spiders, Berhingers, Line6 POD, Digitech RP etc. Many to choose from.

The difference really is some are, what you would call AMPS, meaning they have the guts AND a speaker. Others, like the POD, V-AMP, Korg Pandora is just the 'computer' really. You need to have a source that makes the sound that could be computer speakers, stereo speakers, a 4x12 cabinet or headphones. These tiny units are not only Great for the sound they make, they also sound wonderful with headphones.

The COMBO AMPS (with speakers etc) are generally more expensive and yes you can plug in headphones, just be careful when you do though, you could damage your hearing seriously.

The kind of music you like METAL if I'm not mistaken, yeah the Spider III would be a good bet. However the spiders I've seen get old fast. They do what they do very well, A LOT OF DISTORTION. But as your musical interests grow and your skills grow you may want to explore different genre's. You may decide you love the sound of a clean Fender with a dash of chorus thrown in for good measure. I think you'd be limiting yourself with just the one amp. Thats why I push Multi Efx units like a V-Amp, Pod, Boss GT8, Vox Tonelabs etc. The versatility of these are phenominal.

a Good site for side by side M-Efx shootout is at http://www.stompbox.net
http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=5765

I personally have owned a V-Amp. Would have one again, I did some horse-trading to get my American Strat and the V-Amp was part of the deal. I now own a Boss GT-8 and play through a pair of Powered Monitors -- FOR HOME USE. Honestly I can sound like anyone I want, Metallica, Korn, EVH, ZZ, Page, Hendrix, Clapton, acoustic guitar, 12 string, bass, amongst others. Plus I have a plethora of amp models and effects at my disposal.

When I'm out and about playing I have a Marshall and a Fender Deluxe (Tube Amp). BTW, both have 1x12" speaker and are plenty loud.

Obviously you don't want to spend a lot of money not knowing if your going to stick with guitar or not. You can't go wrong with the Squier Standard, nor an Epiphone Les Paul for that matter.

Headphones are another matter. I prefer using OVER the EAR types when I'm at home -vs- the ear bud types. I own a cheap pair of Maxell headphones I got from Best Buy. They're fine for playing quietly at night/early morning. Again just be careful when plugging into an amp. Make sure your volume is turned down beforehand. :)

Keep asking questions, as mentioned we love helping each other around these parts.

Disclaimer: the above is just my opinion and only my opinion. Some do and will disagree and that's totally fine. That's why this place is so great :).

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

If $350 is pushing your budget why not buy used? Have a look around your local craigslist listings and see if anything looks interesting.

Assuming you're in Anchorage, i even looked for you (if it means i don't have to work for a few minutes more, why not? :lol: )

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/667012571.html

$200 for an MIM tele is a good deal.

Or buy blemished. Most often the blemishes are very small and barely noticeable. Music123.com is giving 15% off on all blemish (outlet) products. Go on take a look. Add to the cart and apply code 'SAVE10'.

http://www.music123.com/Squier-by-Fender-FSR-Standard-Strat-Olympic-White-HSS-Electric-Guitar-513753-i1323520.Music123

I'm not sure if this Squier Standard Strat is any different than one you looked but the blemished piece is $144 after discount. If you're not picky about Squier go to their site and check all blemishes (Click on Outlet link). You can filter by Price Range,Brand etc.

You have a few nice guitars between 200 and 300 (without applying the discount):

http://www.music123.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars-Electric-Guitars,200-300,Outlet.Music123

Like the Epi SG and the Ibanez. You don't have the advantage of trying the guitar before you buy it but you can get a few nice bargains. I suggest going down the used route and if you don't find anything look at the blemishes.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

With the one I linked, you can listen to yourself play with just that, your guitar, and a pair of headphones (as rparker pointed out). Or you can plug that into an amp to get your loud sound. Most other pedals you can only listen to while plugged into the amp. (But most amps I've seen have a headphone jack, you just might need a special connector for your headphones to fit the amp jack, prolly a buck or two)

Or you can find an amp that has some of those settings on it, like the Spider or others some of the folks mentioned.

I started out with just a guitar and amp myself. Then I picked up a little distortion pedal, but saw how many different sounds I could get out of the modeling pedal I linked, so i picked that up a couple months later.

You can always add gear later, and you will if you stick with it ;)

For me though (I love the distortion sound) the effects pedals made me want to play around more on the guitar. Especially since I'm into learning power chords and the like. But you can probably pick up a little distortion pedal for $35. Oh! And make sure if you grab an effects pedal of any kind to pick up an extra amp chord. You'll need to run one from your guitar to the pedal, and another from the pedal to the amp.

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Lots of great advice, BR. Like was infered by someone, you don't need the multi-effects unit what-so-ever. It's a neat toy for later, or, it can be used in place of an amp if you didn't want to get an amp yet. That's all.

Not sure where you're seeing the Squire Standard for $350. All over the place for $200 online. Just beware of that finger spacing thing if it might be an issue. Oh, neither of the national chains carry the Squire Standards down here. I've never been able to even try one. :evil: :x :x

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blankrune)
Topic starter  

Alright, I think I've got it. The real physical difference between those 'modelling' amps is pretty much one has a speaker (these are called combo amps?) and the other doesnt. Makes sense.

As for the $350 price tag, I was looking at a price list I found on the Fender/Squier website, as none of the local's have a decent webdesigner. I figured the prices would probably be the same, but it seems I guessed wrong.

Gonna head down to a few places after work today and proceed to feel like an idiot. I really appreciate all the advice.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2