Clear all

Beginner Electric Guitar

23 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've got a Fender Squire Bullet Strat, and I'm having trouble with it, I always seem to hit the switch when I try to play it, so I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and was wondering what people thought of it.. I see reviews on websites, but some of which I just wonder if they are "paid reviews" especially from Big Box Store websites.

I know nothing about electric guitars and they are more than confusing to me at the moment so any help would be appreciated.

Oh, the type of music I would be playing is new country, so it has some distortion on some songs. I've heard certain electric guitars are better for playing certain types of music.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Joe, if you play country, then a Tele is the guitar for you. There are many different version in different price categories, and everybody you ask will have a favourite. The MIM Tele Standard is good value, the build quality and the neck are great for the price you pay. If you have more money, the Highway 1 is great, as are many of the other ones. There are also quite a few good Squier Teles out there, the Classic Vibes seems to be a favourite these days.

As for the Epiphone LP, it's a great guitar. I played on earlier this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. It compares well to a Gibson, especially when you look at the prices. What you may want to do is to try a couple out and see which ones you like best, you do hear a lot of about quality in build, but that's across all brands and models.

A tele will handle distortion well as long as you have a good pedal in front of the amp, or you have good tube amp that breaks up nicely. If you are keen on a humbucker, there are Tele models that have both a HB and a single-coil, so you get the best of both worlds.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Humbucker, single-coil, pedal, what are speaking Japanese? LOL :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the input. I'll be trying out a couple when I get to the store in a couple days, I only have a headphone amp, and I don't play out so I don't really need anything huge, maybe an amp about $100.

As far as the guitar goes, I can't afford much more than $200 so maybe we'll see what squire tele's they do have.

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Tele Classic Vibes 57 (I think that's the proper name - there is another thread about this guitar here somewhere) should be a great guitar for you.

As for amps, I use a Roland Cube 30X at home, they also make smaller ones, and they come with amp simulations (like Tweed, Metal, Vox, etc) plus built-in effects - so if you need a bit of distortion/echo/delay etc, it's all there. Plus, it has a headphone jack, and a line-in connector for an mp3 player etc - pretty much all the goodies you need to play at home and learn.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Joe!

I agree with Bloos66: try some Teles and also some LP. I have a Epi LP, a standard, and it is not very comfortable if you play several hours. The weight is greater than 4 Kg. Some new LP are chambered but I didn't play them enough to compare them with mine. I like very much the sound of the LP when unplugged (try to check it!).

The Tele is a different style, you will get different tones and different feelings. Perhaps it is more appropriate for country but the most important is if you feel right playing it.

The third alternative is to modify the way in which you play for avoiding to hit the switch! Really you don't need to put too much effort playing an electric... although Springsteen :roll:

Anyway, if you decided you want a new guitar then go ahead! And play as many guitars as you can!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nuno! Where have you been hiding? :lol:

Yeah, I kind of want to keep my Squire Strat as I don't really "need" a new electric. I'm going to play some when I get to Sam Ash Music on Thursday and see how they feel. I need to learn some quick riffs to try them out though. 8) LOL.

I'm pretty sold on the Tele though, it looks like it's what i need, I'm thinking just a Standard though it's like $167 that way I can buy and amp and case.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nuno! Where have you been hiding? :lol:
:D

The work, the flu... But I read every day!

Play both and also all the guitar you can get in the store. And close your eyes and try to feel how the guitar vibrates. You will know if you want a Tele or a LP or another model. I like very much my LP but my Strat seems to be done for my body, hand, etc. I could be playing it all the day.

And don't make the decision on Thursday!

The amp is also important. Try to compare several ones. Roland is an alternative but you can get others. Sorry, I don't know how to express this idea: the Roland and other amps with emulators and effects are good but you are paying for them, you can always consider a simple amp but with a good base tone and add the emulation and effects later. And try also the small tube amps, just a different tone to the solid state amps.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Work, ugh, flu, ugh.

Thanks for the advice on the amps!

I've been going into the store for a while and trying out different electric guitars, but since I really didn't want to get one I didn't consider buying them much to the dismay of the sales guys (thankfully the one guy I go to there knows when I'm there to buy or just to play, and helps me accordingly. He even downsold me a guitar because it would fit me better).

I'm really going there to compare the Telecaster, the Epi LP Special II, and the Washburn Idol all the same price at $169. I only need a really small amp so hopefully I can find one that works well, I'm looking more tone than anything with country music.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have grabbed cheap Epis off the wall and been flabergasted at how cheaply they are built. I have also grabbed cheap ones off the wall and thought it was outstanding. Point is, and I guess this goes for all guitars, is that you gotta really examine and play each one.

I got lucky with a Squire Affinity Tele a few weeks back. It's just fine. The one on the wall was really good. They gave me a boxed one, but I checked it out before leaving the lot and it was good too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

?????? all this advice to get another guitar. a Strat makes great country guitar, too. if hitting the switch while you play is the only problem, then you simply need to practice, adjust your strum and learn not to hit it (at least not so often, everyone does this)!

OTOH, if you are just jonesin' for a new guitar, admit it and go buy ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I'm with gnease. my strat plays country. stick with what you have for a while and improve your technique. all guitars have things that stick out to get in the way. learn how to deal with. all guitars have character. with that comes ideosyncrecies (or things that get in the way).
modern country isn't just telecasters any more. Flying V's and Explorers by Gibson I have seen on stage.

now what is this...???? single coil, humbucker ? do a search and find the descriptions. it is essential to know the parts of the guitar. I know you are new to electric. this is a good time to get some terminology under your belt. and then try out the different guitars.
personally I like strats. so versatile. all the controls are placed just right for easy use. the five way switch is great. Les Pauls switch system is different. I never felt comfortable with it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Joe, if you play country, then a Tele is the guitar for you.

Absolutely true...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OTOH, if you are just jonesin' for a new guitar, admit it and go buy ...

You know I think deep down you may have hit it. I've thought alot about what you and dogbite have said, and have been contemplating why I feel the need for a new electric, and think that maybe I am coming up with anything to find wrong with it just to get another one. After alot of that I finally came to the conclusion that the guitar doesn't feel like mine, let me explain.

When I was looking for an electric about 8 months ago, I played several electrics even though I wasn't sure what I was doing. I played the Epiphone Les Paul Special II and loved it. I went to the sales guy and he told me "You don't want that one, you want this one." When asking him why what's the difference, he just said "Trust me, this is better." So being pretty ignorant on the guitars and not really doing any research on them before I went into the store, I said "Well, okay" and bought it. I've tried to play it a bit since then and it just didn't click with me. And I think after reading these last couple posts I've realized that it reminds me of my stupidity those months ago when picking this up. I now know what I want from it, how I want the sound, etc, and that maybe the driving force behind it. Thanks for the help on everything, including kind of pushing me to find the real reason I wanted one.
now what is this...???? single coil, humbucker ?
I was kidding. I did a bit of research on this a while back so I could familiarize my self with what I wanted.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

so the sales guy said "trust me" and you did?

some advice on the Strat: it may not feel right now -- and maybe it never will, but if you can afford to do so, hold on to it, but set it aside for now. get a guitar that feels right to you, and continue to learn. then six months from now, a year from now, for no particular reason or if you've hit a learning or creative plateau or can't make a tune work for you ... whenever or whatever, try the Strat again and see if it feels more right. you may be surprised.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

so the sales guy said "trust me" and you did?

Yeah I don't know...seemed like an honest guy, found out later he was fired, there's only one person I deal with at that store now, stupid on my part I know.

Well, they are giving me $75 for it because I bought the setup plan (you get 75% of what you bought it for in trade for one year if you do), so getting a $170 guitar for $95 is pretty good for me right now. This guitar was only $100, so I could just go get another one later if the need arises. Depending of what used gear they have I may do just that though, and hold on to it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2