Notifications
Clear all

Beginner Electric Guitar

23 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I had a Epi Les Paul Special as a back up guitar for awhile. it was one of the easiest guitars I ever played. the ting I di not like were the humbuckers. they sounded mushy.. I gave the guitar away to a needy kid in Australia. he loved it, but within two uyears he got a Strat.
get the guitar you want, the one that feels right.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I went to the guitar store with the intent of buy an electric guitar today as this post indicated.

And I bought an amp and a case for the Strat, and kept the one I had. Instead of using the trade in value, I used the extended service plan to get it set up, and wow, what this guy did is amazing. I wish I knew enough about what he did to be able to do this stuff and not worry about screwing it up.

He sanded down the fret edges, sanded down the nut and deepened the the grooves in it, adjusted the intonation, the neck apparently was straight as an arrow and had no relief so he adjusted that, he sprayed something in the 5-way switch cause it would pop every time I hit it. And then he adjusted the pickups. By the time he was done it sounds like an entirely different guitar.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ahhhhhh, it's amazing what a proper set-up can do. In fact, you need to remember this guy and make sure you find out where he goes if he leaves your store. A good tech is sometimes hard to find. I don't recall ever hearing of someone sanding down the fret edges as a standard set-up procedure. Maybe the nut grooves, if needed, but not the fret edges. You like it all now. Good for you.

What kind of amp did you get?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I've got his card, he has a contract with Sam Ash, so every warranty the sales guys sell and each time they use it he gets paid from Sam Ash, plus he does all sorts of outside work, in fact he's only at Sam Ash 3 days a week for 4 hours.

The Amp I got was a Vox Pathfinder 15R. I didn't need anything bigger, but it has a nice warm sound and options for a pedal, plus a line out and such. Has good distortion as well. I'm going to mess around a bit later today. I wasn't able to mess around on the electric much after I got back from the shop.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I hear good things about them. Sounds like you came out alright with the whole scene. Congrats!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Joe! Great amp. I was trying it some months ago and I didn't buy it because I went to the bass and its amp. To me the Pathfinder is one of the best amps in that range, for the tone, the sound, I like very much and probably you will get nice country tones from it. To me it sounds almost like a tube amp. Vox did a great job.

And congrats for the new guitar, too! A new Strat after a setup!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

another happy beginning.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, now I just have to figure out how to emulate the sounds of the guitars that I listen to in intros and solos and such, I'm sure if I play around some I'll figure it out.

You're right gnease, it's another happy beginning. Sam Ash is going to bankrupt me, I swear. :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2