Notifications
Clear all

Beginner Guitar

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@sandbox)
Topic starter  

If I'm just starting out, what electric guitar choices would you recommend? something that isn't too expensive

and also, what other accessories will I need?

I would like to start off with playing some punk/rock etc.

Thanks in advance

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Boy, there are lots of answers!

You basically need: an electric guitar, some picks, a guitar cable, and an amp. Maybe a guitar strap.

LOTS of choices at reasonable prices nowadays. How much $$$ do you want to spend? Name a few guitarists you admire - that way we can make better suggestions. Squier Starter packs are pretty good and reasonably priced. But, there are several companies that make starter packs. Also, you might do better buying the equipment, piece by piece, but you will spend a little more.

I doubt anyone will argue with you if you choose a Squier guitar and an Epiphone Valve Junior combo amp. The whole deal will probably cost about $300 - $350, but it will sound good and last for quite awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@sandbox)
Topic starter  

yeah, I was thinking about the Squier Strat

I might just go for the starter packs. But I've heard the amp is the most important when starting out. I've been looking online at sites like Musician Friend and these are just some of the amps that they come with the starter packs: G-DEC Junior Amp/Fender Frontman 15G amp/SP-10 Combo Amp/Bullet 150 DSP Guitar Amplifier. Any of these amps good?

some guitarists: Billie Joe Armstrong/Brett Gurewitz/Fletcher Dragge/Kevin 'Noodles' Wasserman/Aaron "El Hefe" Abeyta/Erik Ohlsson

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

The g-dec amp is a very good beginner amp. My son has one. Not sure about the "junior" version though.

ReplyQuote
(@lion2)
Trusted Member

yeah, I was thinking about the Squier Strat

I might just go for the starter packs. But I've heard the amp is the most important when starting out. I've been looking online at sites like Musician Friend and these are just some of the amps that they come with the starter packs: G-DEC Junior Amp/Fender Frontman 15G amp/SP-10 Combo Amp/Bullet 150 DSP Guitar Amplifier. Any of these amps good?

some guitarists: Billie Joe Armstrong/Brett Gurewitz/Fletcher Dragge/Kevin 'Noodles' Wasserman/Aaron "El Hefe" Abeyta/Erik Ohlsson

I had bought the Squier starter pack with the Frontman 15G amp. The guitar is quite nice, but I can't say the same the same about the amp. Well the only thing wrong with the amp is its overdrive, to me it sounds horrible. The amp does sound good clean.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I also had the Squier Starter pack with the 15G Frontman amp - not a bad little amp, but there's not much you can do with it except play clean or overdriven. The overdrive isn't too bad, but there are better practise amps around. The Squier Strat's a nice guitar, too - I only got rid of mine because the music room was getting overcrowded. Try looking on the Squier website and pricing Squier Teles - they're a good guitar for not much money. Likewise, quite a few people around here have got Epiphone LPs or SGs and seem to like them. A SMALL practise amp that might suit your needs is the Microcube - only 5W output, but packs quite a punch!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

>SP-10 Combo Amp

I got that amp in my starter pack. As a total beginner I thought it was ok. About 4 months later I bought a Roland MicroCube and realized the SP-10 is really pretty bad. I would recommend avoiding a package with that amp.

You will hear lots of comments like, it depends on your preferences, your style, your goals, if you'll be playing solo or with others, ...
True, but you want answers!
Here is what I would consider a decent quality setup on a budget.
Guitar:
Squier Affinity Stratocaster for $150- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=511276
(If you can find a Squire 51 for $99 that would be even better. See the threads on the Guitar Players forum)

Amp
Roland Cube 15 $99 -
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

or, if you value small and portable - Roland MicroCube $125 -
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

You'll need a tuner:
Korg CA-30 Chromatic Tuner $20
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-CA30-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=210527

You'll need a cable, something like:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Braided-Instrument-Cable-14?sku=361705

A few picks and, unless you'll always play sitting down, whatever strap floats your boat.
You should be able to put together something like that for around $300.

Hmmm, now that I look at all that, that Affinity package looks like a pretty good deal!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-Affinity-Strat-HSS-Pack-With-Fender-Frontman-15G-Amp?sku=513288
The strap and gigbag look like the same ones I got. They are pretty cheapo, but they will get you started until you get something better. The tuner isn't as good as the Korg above, but again, it will get you started. The DVD is probably worth something to a beginner. [Edit - looks like some negative comments on the 15G amp. I think that tips the scales back. I'd recommend something like I list above over the starter pack.]

Well, enough rambling! Keep us posted on what you buy.

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

looks like some negative comments on the 15G amp

Not sure if my comment came across as negative, it wasn't meant to be entirely negative. The Frontman 15G is a decent STARTER amp - but limited in what it can do. The Cube 15 has many more features - chorus, delay, several different amp models etc. The Cube 30 or the Vox ADT30v have reverb as well as the afore-mentioned, and there isn't much - if anything - to choose between them.

If you can't afford a better amp, the 15G will put you on for a while - but sooner or later, you're going to want an amp with more features than just clean or overdriven.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Likewise, quite a few people around here have got Epiphone LPs or SGs and seem to like them.
Yeah, I have an Epi LP. Nice guitar. A lot of fun with it. I did read you like Billie Joe Armstrong. He play a LP. You could also consider it.

My advice is, if possible, go to a store and check several guitars. For example, the LP is a great guitar but it weights 4 Kg! I can feel how the strings vibrated. When I checked the Strats it seemed "without body", however, currently I think it would be a better guitar for me.

Go and try them, take your time.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you are into heavier tones like Punk and Rock, check out Randall's amps like this one:

Randall RX20R

I don't know if you are familiar with Randall amps, but they are pretty awesome, used by many pros. Very Marshall sounding, maybe even better. This would be a good starter amp for heavier tones.

Randall Amps

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dazzles)

I've always heard very positive things about the Yamaha Pacifica range of electrics - Especially the 112. I must be honest though I have never played one myself, I'm actually in a similar positiion to you. I have only ever played an acoustic and am looking around for my first electric

ReplyQuote
(@ccourtney)
Trusted Member

I recommend buying your guitar and amp separately - the Roland micro cube is a good starter amp that you'll use long after you've got your groove.

For the guitar, the most important thing is to buy one that you'll be compelled to pick up and play every day. The sound, look, and feel should be like a new fun girlfriend. There are plenty of great starter guitars that don't cost too much.

Try an Epi Les Paul first, given the guitarists you listed. Also, take a look at some of the Michael Kellys like the Patriot Black or Deuce Phoenix.

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/electrics.html

http://www.myspace.com/courtneychris

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

+1 for the Yamaha pacifica. I'd suggest looking at what guitars are played by the folks you listen to. Once you've got an idea of their guitars look for a lower priced copy, instead of Fender go Squier, instead of Gibby go Epi, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I second the point on spending a LITTLE more money and getting a decent quality amp and then buying the guitar separately. The Roland Cube 15 is a GREAT little amp for the money.

In terms of the guitars... a bunch of guitars out there for under $250 that would be very servicible instruments now and into the future.

Take a look at the Schecter guitars, the Michael Kelly line, Squier is fine (not affinity), Epi is good, and take a look at the Washburn Idol series. They are similar to a Les Paul and SG love-child, and the quality of the Idol series is VERY good.

http://www.washburn.com/products/electrics/idol/index.aspx

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

I bought a 10W Marshall CD series amp and a Pacifica 112XJ as my starter combo in January. To be honest, while the guitar as a lot of potential, the amplifier leaves quite a lot to be desired. I would personally buy something like an Epi Les Paul (I've got one of those too - awesome guitar!) and perhaps an Epi Valve Junior amp. Being a valve amp, and married to that Les Paul, you'll get velvet smooth blues tones, slightly crunched indie chords through to heavily distored rock sounds. Not much in the way of bells and whistles, so if you're after toys you may be dissapointed, but the sound is superb. But allied with the reasonable flexibility of the LP's multiple tone and volume knobs, you should be able to achieve a good range of sounds through that combo!

Just my 2p's worth . . .

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote