Notifications
Clear all

Beginner guitar

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@john-p)
Topic starter  

I'm a 70 year old man interested in learning the guitar. Preferring a modest investment in a user friendly acoustic learning guitar, I have narrowed my interest down to either the Saegull Slim Cedar Dreadnought S6 or the less expensive Yamaha FG700S Folk Acoustic. I would really appreciate some thoughts you may have on this.

Thanks.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

For what it's worth I think if it feels good in your hands, is playable (meaning the action isn't crazy high) and you like the way it sounds it's good for you.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@john-p)
Topic starter  

:) Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

First of all, welcome to GN, John!

Seagull makes very nice guitars. I was considering to buy a Seagull when I bought my acoustic. Finally I decided on another brand but the Seagull was a great candidate.

On the other hand, Yamaha also makes great instruments, mainly (or also) in the entry segment.

Try to play both, just play some chords and feel how comfortable are they to your body, your hands, etc. Try to listen how they sound, too. Maybe you could ask the salesperson to play for you.

ReplyQuote
(@john-p)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot for your response and advice, Nuno. Without input from you and others I could really make a big mistake, so big I'm afraid I might just give up on learning right near the start. Oh, I still might make a mistake, but it won't be a big one, I feel.

Again, thanks.

John

ReplyQuote
(@steves6)
Trusted Member

+1 for the Seagull!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yamaha make some really nice beginner guitars. Actually, they make nice guitars...period. Not my favourite tone, they're a little mellow for me...I prefer a louder, more trebly sound.. But for a beginner, yeah, I'd recommend a Yahama any day. With the usual codicil....try before you buy! If you don't like your first guitar, it'll never get better....'til you get that lottery win, and can afford a Martin!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh and it may be an afterthought, but why not give us a clue to what you want to play...might help us a little more? Folk, blues, country, rock, got to pick the right guitar for what you want to play!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote