Clear all

beginner guitars around $300?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Im thinking of bridging the gap from my acoustic to an electric. And Mother has told me that I must buy everything myself. So Ive decided to save untill my birthday (April 20) and get a nice little present for myself. Ive calculated and Ill have around $320 ish. Do yall have any suggestions on any good deals but staying in that budget? (Please keep in mind Ill also need an amp, and cord)
Thank you for your time,
-Preacher

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very much, Ill certainly keep my eyes on that while Im debating. :D
-Preacher

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Well a Squier can also be a good choice.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Make sure you get a guitar that plays smoothly and stays in tune well. Don't get too focussed on the sound. It's a lot easier getting good tone out of a 'bad' guitar with a good amp then the other way around. I'd consider and Dean Evo XM with either a Vox AD15VT or an Crate V18. Bring a friend who plays electric guitar to check the specific guitar out, each brand occasionally produces a lemon!

edit: I see TR recommends the little brother of the V18. Both will do great. the advantage of the smaller one is that it's less obnoxiously loud (but dont be fooled, 5W is still LOUD!), the downside is that it doesn't have an EQ or reverb section. The V18 also has a preamp gain control so you can get heavier sounds without cranking the volume knob. Both have an FX-loop which is mightily cool. You won't need it right now but when you get a bit further with it and start adding effects you'll be happy you've got it. Anyway: make sure you try both, it's very easy to underestimate how incredibly loud such small amps can be. The V5 will naturally overdrive at slightly lower volume levels, the V18 can add sepereate pre-amp gain at low master volume levels. Try them and see which one suits your needs best. It's always possible to add an attenuator, which 'soaks up' part of the energy(=volume) so you can get the big sounds at lower volume levels. In case you get confused, an attenuator is placed between the poweramp and speaker, so you'll need a speaker-out, which both amps have. It does not need an FX-loop, which is used for effects placed between the preamp and poweramp. Both the V5 and V18 can work with attenuators.

Also, these volume issues do not exist with the Vox, as it's digital. That is a big advantage but many people claim that tubes sound better. Then again, a lot of people disagree with that so it's up to you. Most studios nowadays have both a collection of tube amps and digital sims and you can get great sounds with both kinds of technology. Let your ear do the work!

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much. The Dean and Squire are deffinately going on my list to try out. Oh, I was in a pawn shop today and I ran across a New York Pro Elite hollow body. It kind of looked like an ES-335, has anyone hear/played one of these? If so, what are yalls thoughts?
-Preacher

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I agree with Arjen on the V18, I was just trying to stay under the $300 mark set and if you look at one of the guitars he suggests, they are cheaper, leaving you more room in your budget for an amp. :D I have never played one of the Deans but have experience with the Epi Special (my son owns the single pickup model) so that was my first thought. Come to think of it, the single pickup version is only around $100. :? Squire guitars are good too and would go for $169 - $229 for a Strat or you could look at the Bullet, they are around $100.

I apologize for not suggesting you shop with a friend ect. or for not sugesting anything for that matter and just throwing a couple of pictures up there. It's just that this question gets asked a lot. Again, and as usual, Arjen is right. Having someone that knows electrics with you is a big help and setup on an electric is very important. If an acoustic guitar plays poorly, it can be fixed but it takes a skilled person and there are limits. An electric on the other hand with its many adjustments is different. Cheap or inexpensive electrics can be made to play very well without much work. Everything (except the nut) adjusts with wrenches and screw drivers and such.

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out! :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you kindly. I have someone in mind, though he doesnt really know guitars, hes an expert craftsman. And Hes been looking at building guitars.

I went to a local music shop today, and I found some squire strats for around 100. I picked one up, and I swear the actions was so high, the strings were a quarter inch off the fretboard. Can something that extreme be tuned to a lower action?

Well, Ill let yall know how it works out.

Thanks so much for your time,

-Preacher

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I apologize for not suggesting you shop with a friend ect. or for not sugesting anything for that matter and just throwing a couple of pictures up there. It's just that this question gets asked a lot. Again, and as usual, Arjen is right. Having someone that knows electrics with you is a big help and setup on an electric is very important. If an acoustic guitar plays poorly, it can be fixed but it takes a skilled person and there are limits. An electric on the other hand with its many adjustments is different. Cheap or inexpensive electrics can be made to play very well without much work. Everything (except the nut) adjusts with wrenches and screw drivers and such.

No worries brother. :D

ReplyQuote