Clear all

Behringer BX108 Thunderbird

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Last night I picked up said bass amp at Guitar Center for $69 bucks. I needed something small, light, and cheap to lug with me to my buddies house when jamming. I was very surprised by the tone this little beauty puts out! It's only 15 watts with a 8" speaker and I honestly wasn't expecting much from it, and while not loud in the least, it sounds great!

Generally when we jam, it's me on bass, a buddy on an electric-acoustic (not always plugged in) and a buddy on harmonica or acoustic. This little amp is plenty loud enough to be heard in said environment. Wouldn't compete well with an electric at moderate volume though.

We even used the line out to record a few tracks and it sounded pretty good in the mix. If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can get my hands on a clip.

Anyway, thought I'd let everyone know that for a very cheap, low wattage practice amp, the Thunderbird does a pretty good job! Looks pretty cool too!

Here's a link.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@97reb)
Noble Member

For the Price and the relatively positive reviews, I thought about picking one up for just the qualities you mentioned. For the tone, you can always use it as a link to a PA with some power if you need to be heard. Congrats on the pickup

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm going to be testing to see how it sounds plugged into my PA tonight. I'll let you know.

I had read online that the tone was really good for a cheap amp and I'm glad to say they are right. Like I said, not a loud amp, but anyone buying a 15 watt bass amp and expecting it to be loud is just fooling themselves. BUT, because it sounds so good, I think it would work perfectly for a coffee house amp plugged into a small PA (or just maybe on it's own if the venue is really small and quiet).

You really can't go wrong with the price! You should pick one up!

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

In your guys experience would this amp be loud enough to practice with a piano or keyboard and a guitar either acoustic or set low. This would just be in our music room. I am looking for something light enough for my 13 year old daughter to move around easily, but would like it to be enough to mix in for small jams. Nothing very loud, just small group singing and playing a few instruments. Was looking between this and the behringer 45 watt, but it weighs twice as much. I have another 120 watter that weighs 71 pounds so that doesn't get moved much, and it resides in our basement.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

bump

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

After owning this amp for a few months now, I can say that I wouldn't think it would be loud enough for a small jam.

In my buddies basement with just another electric at fairly low volume I quickly get drowned out. This amp is perfect for bedroom practice and that's about it. It sounds great though!

I haven't tried the 45 watt Behringer yet, but I plan too as that was what I too was looking at before getting this smaller one.

I would sell this one to you cheap but don't think shipping it would be very cost effective. :)

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I may go with the 45 watt behringer. Darn basses require bigger amps and that is probably the smallest I can go for what I need...

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote