Skip to content
Best Acoustic for s...

Notifications
Clear all

Best Acoustic for someone with short fingers???

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@robertse6)
Topic starter  

Hi there - first post - just found the site and really enjoying the lessons

Anyone got suggestions for someone with diminutive digits?

I'm very much a beginner so I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement with practice - improved flexibility and strength in the fingers etc

But I wondered whether a guitar with a shorter neck would help - e.g. baby taylor - well I say e.g. that's the only one I've found so far. Or should I persevere with a normal size?

Anyone tried these or got any advice please?

Rob

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I guess that you are talking about a steelstringed acoustic (i.e. a typical copy of a Martin D28, Dreadnought type ) and not a nylonstringed acoustic (concerto type).
I don´t think it´s much difference in finger stretching between normal steelstringed dreadnought and "baby" type streelstringed.
The narrow and long (12 fret) neck of the steelstringed dreadnought makes chord playing easier (don´t need to stretch finger so much), but the hard strings ( typical.11 or.12 gauge strings) will be a real pain for the fretting fingers in the beginning.
The wide neck of the nylonstringed makes chord plaing more difficult ( need more stretched fingers) byt the nylon strings are much easier on the fretting fingers.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Is it an actual condition/handicapp/disorder that you have? Or do you just feel you have small hands?

If it's the latter, most people who start feel their hands are too small. Really, all it is is that the guitar is a pain in the butt, and getting used to the chords and stretches takes a lot of time, practice and patience. I think most of the teachers here will tell you they have almost never tought someone with hands that were too small for a normal guitar.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@robertse6)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice and encouragement folks

I expect you're right that this is mainly beginners frustration - I don't have any particular condition but e.g. my middle finger is 7.5cm (fret hand) which I think is at best on the low end of average?

I suppose what I'm wondering is if I go for a 3/4 scale to learn on how hard is it going to use a full size in future.

Anyway - less talk, more practice!

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my fingers seem like cocktail weiners sometimes.

I have no problems with any guitar.

I had an old Epiphone FT12 years ago. it had a nice narrow neck. actually too narrow for my hands.
if I were you Id try all the guitars in your price range. just feel how they fit and go for the sound.
your fingers will adapt as you get better.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

if your fingers are small you can go with any guitar but if you're a small person in general you may want to look at smaler guitars like size 000 instead of a dreadnaught.

ReplyQuote
(@juliagulia)
Eminent Member

I have the smaalest hands of any adult I know and I can play a full size guitar. I play a Taylor Big Baby primarily which I believe is 15/16ths, so nearly full size, I keep a 3/4 at work and can grab a full size and play without any trouble. It just takes a quick warm up to adjust. I actually think the 3/4 is the hardest for me to play so try different sizes out, you may be surprised.

ReplyQuote
(@plot36)
Eminent Member

I started playing beginning of the year and I'd have to agree with what has been written here - stick with it and it'll get easier. I have pretty small hands and to start with I was really frustrated and thought I needed guitar with a narrower neck, but with time it's got a lot easier. I think the main reason has been an increase in flexibility - to begin with I couldn't mute the 6th string with my thumb - couldn't get close to it - now it's no problem at all. Another big help was having lessons - quite small changes in fret hand position can make really big differences in terms of being able to finger a chord or not (or so I've found anyway). Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@robertse6)
Topic starter  

Thanks again everyone

How do all these different sizes work by the way - Dreadnought, 000, etc

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@robertse6)
Topic starter  

Well - I finally decided to go for a Martin 000 16GT

I'm really pleased with it so far

Thanks to everyone for their advice - I'm sure I'll be back for more help !!! ;-)

Rob

ReplyQuote