Clear all

Best Instrumental Guitar album ever.

21 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

In your opinion...I listened to "Surfing with the Alien" and was amazed. The "liquid Tension Experiment" album is good too. The Vinnie Moore album is pretty good too. Let me know about some others.

Gracias, mi amigos...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I like Buckethead's "Coma."

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Could you guys specify electric, acoustic, classic, or combo for these (and the ones to follow). It might help people figure out if they want to check them out.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Souvenirs (1956) - Django Reinhardt With Stephane Grappelli With the Quintet of the Hot Club of France

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@newlyded1)

Don't know about best, but one of my favorites is Chris Poland's Return To Metallopolis. Think classic era Megadeth minus the vocals.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Oktay,

How 'bout listing your fav's for all those genres? Mine are...

Electric: Satriani "Surfing with the alien"

Acoustic: Multiple artists "Masters of Acoustic Guitar"

Classical: Bach, Sanz and Sor "Baroque Guitar"

Combo: Hmmmm...tough one...Im not quite sure...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Friday Night in San Francisco

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002AHM/103-8139281-1801403?v=glance&n=5174

Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin with Paco DeLucia

Pat Metheny "Bright size life"

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

No doubt "Perpetual Burn" by jason becker. Musical n technical genious, although u cant get anywhere near a full appreciation of his musicial genious with this one neo-classical album (see Rassberry Jams and Perspective albums), this is his best work. He was lightyears ahead of the likes of Satch, Ygnwie n Vai! Fact

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

I've never heard anything i like better than Leo Kottke 6 and 12 String Guitar. If someone can point me other albums similar, would appreciate. Django Reinhardt is also great.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Surfing with the Alien got me into thinking that the guitar could run a song by itself... no question one of the best instrumental albums out there...

In terms of individual song, I really - for whatever reason - love Metallica's "Call of Ktulu". I just love the heaving riffing on that tune... I feel like I'm in a vortex.

I also love La Villa Strangiato by Rush.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I would recommend Jeff Beck's 'Wired' and 'Blow-by-Blow', but they were so often copied, somebody new to them would not realize how ground-breaking these albums were at their releases. They pretty much launched fusion. Instead, try his 'Who Else' collection of just a few years back. It's a mixture of blues and metal and some other things -- Beck never seems to worry about genre; He just plays. The man's virtuoso sense of touch and timing come through on various wild to delicate to haunting pieces that are somewhat derivative of older material, yet extremely enjoyable none-the-less.

Johnny A's 'Sometime Tuesday Morning' is a deceptively simple sounding venture into some really nice playing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

For you rockers out there, there's Gary Hoey. He puts on an awesome show.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Doesn't matter how often they are copied Wired and Blow by Blow are 2 ESSENTIAL instrumental albums.
For acoustic LAGQ (Los Angeles Guitar Quartet) an evening in Grenada or anything else by them will not disappoint you

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What about Joe Satriani , Eddie Van Halen , Steve Vai etc ?

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

What about Joe Satriani , Eddie Van Halen , Steve Vai etc ? Satriani was mentioned a couple of times, to my knowledge VH has never done an instrumental album

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2