Clear all

Best modern guitar bands...

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Who in your opinion at the best modern guitar bands?

Modern for me is post 1990 (you can have bands who started earlier as long as they made great albums then and had only just started in the late 80s) to now.

So here goes;
90s
Soundgarden,
Nirvana,
Smashing Pumpkins,
Red hot chili peppers,
Counting Crows
The Lemonheads,
Dinosaur JR,
Pearl Jam,
The Offspring,
AFI,
Saves the day,
Tool

post 2000s
My Chemical Romance - I know a lot of people won't agree but they write memorable songs with great solos courtesy of Ray Toro,
Biffy Clyro,
Fall out boy - Pure pop rock, if you hear the albums they come up with so many memorable melodies - check out "What a catch, Donnie".
The Cribs - Great band local to me, in Wakefield
The Holdsteady,

My favourite period is the 90s! As you might have guessed :)

together we stand, divided we fall..........

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nice list I like most of those too, my current fav which isn't on your list are the Foo Fighters I've really been into them lately.

I do have to say I like Panic at the Disco better than Fall out Boy but I don't listen to either that much, and your right pure pop but I can handle that sometimes.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have only heard the first panic at the disco album, but I saw the second in my local library! SO I might take that out next time.

ReplyQuote
(@jesus-of-suburbia)
Eminent Member

fall out boy and panic at the disco are apart of an annoying breed of bands which give themselves names which suggest they where outlaws and don't follow the rules but unusally your disappointed so i generally hate them.

but all your otheir choices are great but they could be more added

Muse:matt bellamy with great use of the pitch shifting technique used by the greats like jimi hendrix and chris woltholms with his heavy bass rifts

Rise against : A straght edge band which are truely the people that don't conform going against everything support amnesity international and the it gets better project while bring rock at it's best

system of a down: A band that has created a wide range of music

tenacous d : they have brought comedy to rock

Rage against the machine

audioslave

King of leon : The good old garage rock band we all need in are lives

while this is a great post that can really allow me to go insane we do have to bring up the question as to why do we judge music by it's age. I love alot of modern music espically the kind that still has a good vide of classic rock in it but can't we just all music
i love my led zepplin to my black sabbath to my metallica to my nirvana to my muse can't we all live like this.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

while this is a great post that can really allow me to go insane we do have to bring up the question as to why do we judge music by it's age. I love alot of modern music espically the kind that still has a good vide of classic rock in it but can't we just all music
i love my led zepplin to my black sabbath to my metallica to my nirvana to my muse can't we all live like this.

It seems so often when the question of favourites comes up, the list skews towards classic rock, and newer stuff tends to get lost.
By asking the question this way, we get to focus on newer bands.

And for teachers (as fleaaaaa is) hearing about great new bands that his students will already be interested in might help him develop lessons ahead of time for songs that the students are already familiar with.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jesus-of-suburbia)
Eminent Member

if you want good guitars rifts to teach student assuming you do acoustic then

rise against swing life away is a good song

system of a down loney days is very easily turned acoustic and contains an easy solo with a few hammer on and pull offs which could help break them in it's also involves alternative picking as it plays very similar to house of the rising sun don't worry about drop C it work on standard tuning iv made an acoustic tab my self

green boulivar of broken dreams is a song everyone knows

and muse have already a few acousitics songs but are quite spanish like and people tend to be fussy on them

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I really don't like muse but hey, we can't all like the same stuff and admittedly it took me a while to warm to fall out boy, but if you take them for what they are (very much a pop band with guitars) they are great at making memorable melodies and...... I have just heard Patrick Stump's acapella Michael Jackson video on youtube and that's rather good!

By the way, obviously old bands and new bands can sit together - as they do in my record collection - but I just wanted to see what people here thought contributed to todays great music, particularly those who are older and haven't grown up with the new stuff like I did.

ReplyQuote