Clear all

Best/most memorable rock riff.

35 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think it should go to Iron Man. Everyone knows that one.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

(@Anonymous)

I agree that Iron Man is very popular...but I also have to say that ANYTHING by Angus Young is memorable.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd agree that Iron Man is probably the most popular. My son's 5th grade music/guitar teacher taught him that one. I opted to teach him Smoke On The Water. Shows what I know! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

All are great, but My choice would be "Dazed and Confused"--LZ
the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'd have to go with Pride and Joy - SRV. Good stuff!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Another Brick in the Wall-Part 2.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The version of "You Really Got Me" played over and over on "classic rock" stations is by Van Halen. Dear Lord, I hate that squeal after each repetition of "You Really Got Me." That little squeal was Van Halen's one trick that they used incessantly, and I despise 'em for it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm going with sunshine of your love, but the bo diddley beat or bad to the bone should be up there, too

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

The version of "You Really Got Me" played over and over on "classic rock" stations is by Van Halen. Dear Lord, I hate that squeal after each repetition of "You Really Got Me." That little squeal was Van Halen's one trick that they used incessantly, and I despise 'em for it.

I agree, he really did over use them. The only squels that I like in songs are in the song Welcome Home, by Coheed & Cambria. I guess some metal songs too, but those aren't as memorable.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

"You Really Got Me" was The Kinks, wasn't it?

And I vote "other" - the best riff ever is the intro to Jarcrew's Destructor/Creator. Disagree? Then here's your complimentary bag of incorrect.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, I've just done some rewiring on an amp I've built, which is working better but still needs some revision. (It's got insane gain and infinite sustain at 9:00 on the gain knob.) But it plays, and it's putting out ear-blasting volume at something like 77 watts through a 15" speaker, so I'm half deaf at the moment. Guess what I've been banging through it for the last 30 minutes while I've been testing it? Mostly the "Iron Man" riff.

And an insanely distorted "Star Spangled Banner." Oh, yeah, and some "La Grange." Guess it's time to go back and beat out some "Smoke On The Water" through it, before I get back to work on decreasing its gain and taming it down.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I have "Iron Man" playing in my head right now, honestly I do. I can play the main riff, but haven't learned the rest of the song. My nephew also learned it at school when he was getting lessons.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

the riff from The Fly is pretty damn awesome.

and ANY riff made by my man Tom Morello is a cut above the rest.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

'Wild Thing' would be by the Troggs

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

'Wild Thing' would be by the Troggs
There have been several covers, I believe, including one by Jimi Hendrix

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3