Clear all

Best/most memorable rock riff.

35 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'd say the credit for the riff has to go to the original writer, unless the cover-ers changed the riff for their song...

I went with Sunshine, although there were a few that were tempting....

Bad to the Bone is definitly up there.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

I'd say Iron Man is the most memerable, but not the best.

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Of the ones listed....Layla plain and simple. I was walking down the street and car passed me by at 40mph and I could tell they were blaring layla as it passed by. :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I had to vote for Smoke on the Water....

Only because every band I've ever been in has played it. :roll:

And it's the most requested song besides Freebird. :roll: :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I gotta go with Whole Lotta Love by Led Zep. That riff still knocks me out everytime I hear it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've looked at this loads of times and still can't make up my mind - any way of changing "other" to "all of the above?"

Apart from those already mentioned, Black Dog - Led Zep. Day Tripper - Beatles. Brown Sugar - The Stones. Burn & Black Night - Deep Purple.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

So freaking' obvious: Satifaction - The Stones

I prefer You Really Got Me and Sunshine, but Satisfaction is the epitome of the rock riff.

Honorable Mentions, that weren't:

Louis, Louis (I-dunno-da-words frat rock)
Wipeout (surf rock)
Rock and Roll - (lonely led rock)
La Bamba (I-dunno-da-words rock, part II)
Tush - though La Grange is really a better tune and tastier riff

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I gotta agree with Greg here: Satisfaction. And I'd place Lennon's "Day Tripper", his answer to the "Satisfaction" riff, right up there at the top too.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

I chose Purple Haze, primarily because it's such a definative song that says "This is the Sixties", the riff is technically hard to get right as well (at least for me anyways).

All the other songs are great as well... especially Smoke on the Water. It's the one song that my song plays over and over, he's actually written a song used the riff from Smoke on the Water.

About ten years back, I was at a TV conference in Montreaux. There was this editor setting up his system and he was using Smoke on the Water for a clip that he must have been using. Although in most editors cases, they tend to rock the clip forward and backwards a lot and the sound was loud. I really got sick of the song, while he was playing it that morning. However, when I had a chance to walk back to my hotel I stopped to take a picture of the lake and it was one of those duuuuhhh moments. Here I was in the very city that the song was written about, I laughed as I took my picture of the smoke on the water.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

..Satisfaction, good point.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Riff
(@riff)

I actually just learned to play Ironman and Sweet Home Alabama. I've been playing Stariway to Heaven and Smoke on the Water for far to long, I have to learn new riffs.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings (1937-2002)

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

the riff from The Fly is pretty darn awesome.

and ANY riff made by my man Tom Morello is a cut above the rest.

That is an awesome song man. Fly, Acrobat and Ultraviolet are my favs from Achtung Baby.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Hey, Howz about "Mannish Boy" ? A great riff by Muddy Waters, Start playing that at a jam and it usally gets just about everyone to go off in all kind of directions!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Mannish Boy is easily one of the top ten blues songs of all time. But its not quite rock. And, correct me if im wrong. I dont think that the origional riff to the song was actually a guitar riff. Wasnt it a trumpet riff with Muddy playing slide over it?

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I gotta go with Whole Lotta Love by Led Zep. That riff still knocks me out everytime I hear it.

I sat here and said, "I don't think I ever tried that one?".

Well, I have now and it's just as much fun playing it as it is listening to it! :D

Just thought I would share! :)

Thanks Wes!

Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3