I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mannish Boy is easily one of the top ten blues songs of all time. But its not quite rock. And, correct me if im wrong. I dont think that the origional riff to the song was actually a guitar riff. Wasnt it a trumpet riff with Muddy playing slide over it?It's been done lots of ways. The first way I heard it was on harp. I came up with the same riff later on slide guitar, not quite sure where I'd gotten it, for the first thing I ever wrote, sang while playing guitar, and recorded, an answering machine blues song I did back in January 2002. I realized later it was basically "Mannish Boy." I just knew it was a standard blues riff. http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=2599562&key=267509A0-1 :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

The first time that I heard "Mannish Boy" was from the Rolling Stones! My local radio station was doing performance comparisons with rock + blues song standards, the original performers vs. the best known or more modern performers. I.E. "Love Hurts" (Nazereth vs. Boudreau Bryant) etc. It was pretty cool and I always thought that there was a fine line between rock and roll and the blues.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I always thought that there was a fine line between rock and roll and the blues.I had to get pretty interested in blues before I learned how many of the rock songs I heard on the radio in the 70s were remakes of old blues favorites.

Early rock and roll was just stuff the black players had been doing for years for the "race records" (renamed "Rhythm & Blues" in 1949) market. Go to http://www.hoyhoy.com/ and listen to the samples on there. Rock and roll was around under the "blues" genre long before "Rocket 88" or any of Bill Haley's stuff came out.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I have to go with Day Tripper.

A couple of other memorable riffs:

Rebel Rebel, David Bowie
Susie-Q, CCR
Walk, Don't Run, The Ventures

I was surprised to see that I have nearly every song listed, in the the poll, in my music library. Iron Man is the one that is missing.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3