Best time of my life

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

What songs can you name that defines the best time period of you life, and why.

For me I think it would be "18 and Life" by Skid Row.

I was in my first rock band and things were going so smoothly. We were gigging pretty regular, there were lots of girls around, we partied all the time. Rent was cheap, food was cheap.. "18 and Life" came out around that time and in fact there were so many songs that were kind of the same sound and message. There have been lots of great times in my life.. but that period of time was one of the best.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Couldn't tell you. I could probably think of more songs that define some of the worse parts though.

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Not sure if this counts but it reminds me of the best in my life in a backwards kind of way. Clapton's "Tears in Heaven", can't hear that song without thinking about how lucky I am to have 3 great (although somewhat evil) little kids. Yeh, its sappy, I know...

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I don't think I can choose just one! I mean, there are different songs from different parts of my life. I could probably come up with one per decade, but not one overall. I can pick out several "best times" of my life. Probably because I'm a lot older than you!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't think I can choose just one!

Ahh, noone said you have too. ;) To be honest, I am not sure why I created the thread. I think I was carried away by Rahul's most annoying song post.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've spent a lot of time - and money - over the years watching Liverpool play (football, or soccer to our US friends....) so "You'll Never Walk Alone" by Gerry and The Pacemakers would be the song that sums up a lot of good times for me. Greybeard once sent me a link to a good tab for that song, but I lost it when my old computer screwed up....Graham? Are you listening?.....If you've still got that link, please could you let me have it again?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

For me, it would have to be 'Save The Last Dance For Me' by the Drifters. I had just turned 16, got a drivers license and the whole world seemed to open up. It's still my favorite song.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member

I know what you mean about 'Tears in Heaven', I used to feel the same way about 'last kiss' by Pearl Jam. I'm very lucky to have my wife & little'uns.

But getting to the point, anything from Nirvana's Nevermind takes me back to my highschool days when I used to just surf, play music & f&*(^k around with cars...those were the days. When I got the album I worked out the whole thing in one afternoon (not that it's THAT hard). But 'Smells like teen spirit' would have to be the signature track.

And when I got married my new wife & I spent two weeks driving around east australia, & Nevermind got played quite a bit, so now it makes me think of our honeymoon. Not exactly love songs, but it's all time & place, isn't it?!

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic, I can't remember exactly which link I sent you, but here's one that I've found
http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/g/gerry_and_the_pacemakers/youll_never_walk_alone-tab.shtml

Searching further, it seems that there are only 2 tabs on the net - this one and another with just the chords.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have songs that remind me of events or or other happenings. Nothing that ever defines a whole era though. I'm also much too young to decide what the best time of my life was. Even with illness, I might just look back at my early 40s someday and think about how great the times were.

So, a few songs that remind me of certain things.

Talking Heads, Burning Down The House: Getting into my car after watching my father's dairy farm go up in flames. My best bud was with me. Turned on the ignition and this was on. Sadly (maybe?), we laughed our asses off.

Freebird: A favorite of so many at GN. :lol: At any rate, I always think of one of the strangest going steady events of my life. Not the way it would typically play out for the song title though. I think it changed about 6 times that night.

Meatloaf Bat Out Of Hell: Somehow, long before mp3 players and XM Radio, I rigged by '76 Suzuki gs400 with a tape deck and one two foot tall stereo speakers. First song in was Bat Out Of Hell. 'Nuff said.

I guess maybe ERAs to a point, like the Cars' Debut album will always remind of gym class in High School. American Pie will always remind me of Vermont, etc.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Talking Heads, Burning Down The House: Getting into my car after watching my father's dairy farm go up in flames. My best bud was with me. Turned on the ignition and this was on. Sadly (maybe?), we laughed our asses off.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry if that seems a bit insensitive, but I've always ad this tendency that, if something bad has happened and there's sweet FA that can be done to change it, if something funny can be found in the situation its worth laughing about. I'm laughing because I know that would have been precisely my reaction in that situation.

Yup, another one for You'll Never Walk Alone here.

Pretty much every Nirvana song, but especially Smells Like Teen Spirit, reminds me of good times back in school with friends.

Bob Dylan collectively also gets a nod from me. In particular, my risking my A levels and thus entry to Oxford on travelling to Cardiff to see him perform the night before said exams, with no transport back. Ditto for Jeff Beck. I, um, well........I had tix for two nights in London, but transport for only one (from Hastings down the coast). The first night, met a fellow fan, this random american guy, in the queue. Having chatted, he knew of my predicament and offered me a pull-out bed in his hotel room so I could catch the second night. I agreed. My 'rationalisation' being murder was highly unlikely and he couldn't rape me since that would require me to say no. :roll: :lol: Everything was fine and above board, but this perfectly encapsulates my wild and rebellious yoof.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

And rparpker just prompted this remembrance.......

kewl or not, I really don't give a damn.

Chris Rea, Road To Hell (not sure which part). When I was yay high, and I mean yay high, my pops had this Ford Estate, and he seemed to have only one cassette which got played in there, and it was Chris Rea. I loved the guitar tone and style of relaxed but kewl playing. The seeds were sown right there. Fast forward almost two decades and I had no idea who/what that tape was of, but it was on my mind, I swear I could remember solos from it, lol. Anyways, my pops would ask me every now and then to get certain cds/artists for him. One day, he asks me to get him some Chris Rea. Now, I know the name, but no music. But I oblige, and take the discs back to him. We put it on, partly to check they work ok, and its sudden and total nostalgia.

Like I said, I no care how unkewl he may be, Rea is key for me. And I probably owe him a pack of strings. Or six.
8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Odd, but "If not for You" is not really evocative of any emotion, it just brings a particular picture to mind. It's an image of me driving my Ford Anglia to work. I am just leaving the big roundabout that used to be just south of the Parish Church in Leeds and heading down towards the entry to the M1 to Wakefield, where I was working. I see the street, the weather, everything - and every time I hear the record, it's the same. Weird

My Father's Eyes has meaning, because he died a few weeks after I moved to Germany and there were so many things left unsaid between us.

By the way, a lot of Chris Rea's music is recorded, using an old Höfner V3, even though he mostly plays Strats on stage

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Stone Roses - Made of Stone

Good times..

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

OK, someone once said that telling a good story is like painting a picture. You have to give background details etc... So let me get out my brush...(paint by numbers kinda thing :wink: )

Some years ago, my best friend and I took our girlfriends camping/hiking in the Adirondack Mountains in northeastern New York State. The mountains and surrounding valleys are approximately 6 million acres (25,000 km²) of beautiful land. iPods were not around at this time so I carried a Sony Walkman CD player. My friend and I woke early in the morning (before sunrise) to begin a hike up the mountain side. I thought the new (at the time) Steve Vai- Passion and Warfare CD would make good hiking music. If you're familiar with this CD, you know he's got some pretty aggressive stuff on this album.

Anyways, the sun just started to rise and we reached a plateau that was covered by some large pine trees. As we turned a corner in the path, there were 4 or 5 deer feeding on the path in front of us. At that very moment, the song “Sisters” was playing. Vai creates a lot of different spatial areas in this song. It so happened that he had reached a very quite, soft spot in the song which made for the perfect soundtrack for that moment.

Fast-forward 18 years later. (this just happened 1 week ago) I'm a recently divorced dad who gets the kids 4 days each week. I just finished a large addition on the house. IN the kitchen, I put in a garden window and thought…”It would be sooo nice to watch the kids playing in the backyard through this window.” Normally, I'll put in 6 CD and shuffle them while we are eating dinner. SO there I am, washing dishes after dinner and the kids go outside to build a clubhouse out of the scrap wood I had in the garage. As I watched them through the window, Steve Vai's – Sisters was playing. Again, that soft spot in the song, supplied the perfect soundtrack for that tender moment. :oops:

Then I thought, “man…I have to sell this house because of the divorce” And my perspective on life turned to crap again. :shock: :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2